My Father's Old Amp in the 1980s-early-1990s - Sansui R-5

DeckardWill

Jun 29, 2023
Visit site
My dad passed away in March. For some reason, I was led to look into the HiFi equipment he owned while I was growing up.

In the 80s he owned a Sansui R-5. It looked beautiful, here's a video of it:

View: https://youtu.be/6TR9N5G-0xc

I wonder if it was as good as it looked? The wattage didn't seem very high!

Then he moved onto a Sony MHC-3600:

View: https://youtu.be/zzBFdsyeMy4

I remember it most for the seemingly space-age remote control which had a 'basic' control layer, that slid down to reveal a tonne of really granular controls! The EQ display was also cool! Not sure how good it was, but as a teenager I loved playing my cds on it - the sound felt 'bigger' than the Sansui. It also had cool speakers with tweeter 'satellites' that could be placed seperately to the woofer enclosure!

Reactions: hifi
My dad passed away in March. For some reason, I was led to look into the HiFi equipment he owned while I was growing up.

In the 80s he owned a Sansui R-5. It looked beautiful, here's a video of it:

View: https://youtu.be/6TR9N5G-0xc

I wonder if it was as good as it looked? The wattage didn't seem very high!

Then he moved onto a Sony MHC-3600:

View: https://youtu.be/zzBFdsyeMy4

I remember it most for the seemingly space-age remote control which had a 'basic' control layer, that slid down to reveal a tonne of really granular controls! The EQ display was also cool! Not sure how good it was, but as a teenager I loved playing my cds on it - the sound felt 'bigger' than the Sansui. It also had cool speakers with tweeter 'satellites' that could be placed seperately to the woofer enclosure!
Sorry to hear about your dad.

I believe Sansui receivers wasn't their finest hour as their integrated amps seem to have taken the limelight.

Sony were producing some really good mini systems in the 1980s, they were groundbreaking in their day for the price point.

What are your plans for both Sansui and the Sony?

matthewpianist

Please accept my condolences for your loss.

Sansui made their best kit in the 70s, but by the time of your Dad's R5 they remained competitive with other makers, including the likes of Pioneer, JVC and Akai. It's sad that the company didn't survive long-term because they made some superb hi-fi, but JVC and Akai met similar fates.

DeckardWill

Jun 29, 2023
Visit site
I believe Sansui receivers wasn't their finest hour as their integrated amps seem to have taken the limelight.

Sony were producing some really good mini systems in the 1980s, they were groundbreaking in their day for the price point.
On the plus side, the Sansui lasted the family 15 years and was still working when I last saw it! It was starting to make a godawful noise for a couple of seconds when switched on though.

From what I remember, the Sony kept working great for about 12 years, then the CD tray started to become unreliable. It probably would have been an easy fix.

I'm not sure what happened to either amps. The videos linked were just examples. Assuming dad either sold them in the years before he passed away, or binned them (I suspect the former, or gave them away).

It's almost tempting some time in the future to try to find and purchase both. Maybe some day :)

DeckardWill

Jun 29, 2023
Visit site
Please accept my condolences for your loss.

Sansui made their best kit in the 70s, but by the time of your Dad's R5 they remained competitive with other makers, including the likes of Pioneer, JVC and Akai. It's sad that the company didn't survive long-term because they made some superb hi-fi, but JVC and Akai met similar fates.
Yes it is a shame. Have been reading a bit about Sansui and it does sound as though their power amplifiers were very highly regarded. The R series looks to sell quite cheaply and as the above poster says, they seem less desirable. The sound from the R5 and its speakers was warm: remember The Beatles sounding really nice through it.

Reactions: matthewpianist
T
On the plus side, the Sansui lasted the family 15 years and was still working when I last saw it! It was starting to make a godawful noise for a couple of seconds when switched on though.

From what I remember, the Sony kept working great for about 12 years, then the CD tray started to become unreliable. It probably would have been an easy fix.

I'm not sure what happened to either amps. The videos linked were just examples. Assuming dad either sold them in the years before he passed away, or binned them (I suspect the former, or gave them away).

It's almost tempting some time in the future to try to find and purchase both. Maybe some day :)
To be honest, I can't even remember seeing any Sansui amps much less hearing one. I know they were popular and, yes, it's a pity they no longer exist.

I've often thought about another Pioneer amp I owned for 17 years but it would only clutter the place up. I wouldn't change it for my current amp.

matthewpianist

I still own the same model of Sansui amplifier I had as a youngster, a AU-2200 from 1975. It puts out all of 10wpc, but they're very musical watts and with the right speakers it can still sound very engaging at low-mid volume. Party animals need not apply!

Reactions: DeckardWill

DeckardWill

Jun 29, 2023
Visit site
I still own the same model of Sansui amplifier I had as a youngster, a AU-2200 from 1975. It puts out all of 10wpc, but they're very musical watts and with the right speakers it can still sound very engaging at low-mid volume. Party animals need not apply!
Folky singer-songwriters don't need too many watts ;)

TRENDING THREADS