Music got faster. What is going on?

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I've playing my ipod thru my Rega Brio 3 amp using a cheap 3.5mm to RCA cable and a pair of Totem Rainmakers bookshelf speakers. When I play some dance music for example A New Day - ATB or Stereo Love - Edward Maya, the beat suddenly got faster. I've listened to these songs hundreds of times thru my headphones and on my computer speakers. Also, I'm using 2 feet of Chord Silverscreen cable with banana plugs. It is only noticeable with dance music, not too much with other types of music. Now my dance sound weird with the increased rhythm. Anyone here know what the heck is going on?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The lead, the amp and the speakers are entirely 'passive' in this respect. They only amplify the signal and can have no control over your iPod's functioning.

Also I cannot imagine how a digital device like an iPod can play faster or slower.

Do you mean it has a 'faster' character to the sound through the system or is literally playing faster? (As in speeded-up.)

If the latter, then your iPod has a fault. (And a weird one at that.)

My guess is that there are faster elements in the rhythmic structure of the music (that have not previously been apparent on your headphones or PC speakers) that are now being made more explicit with a revealing system.

I am finding it hard from your post to tell if you find the difference a good thing or if you think it a fault.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I would imagine this is just perception - many headphones and PC speakers (especially with subs) can sound bloated in the bass and slow. Totem's are generally very musical and "quick" speakers with little overhang at the bottom end - this effect would be very noticeable on pacey dance music with a heavy beat. I doubt it's anything more than that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts