mp3 wins format showdown on gadget show

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Are you saying that our forum members are immature and without experience ?

matthewpiano

professorhat:
I'm with chebby on this one - Alice for me all the way (in spite of my views on qualifications
emotion-2.gif
).

Me too!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I should add that aside from my own admiration for Dr Alice Roberts, she is also a hero to my youngest daughter (also called Alice) who has watched all her Coast and Time Team appearances and was partly influential in her decision to study archeology, geography, geology and history at A level.

My daughter 'being' Alice Roberts on the Jurassic coast in Lulworth...

160737955_891eef18e8.jpg

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
Clare Newsome:How delightfully progressive this thread is becoming
emotion-39.gif

Feel free to post your fave Daniel Craig pic.

Ah, but you see the objectification of men by women IS a progressive trend
emotion-4.gif
You lot have been doing it so long it's got stale....

idc

Tear Drop:idc:In another recent post the question was asked can a hifi sound 'live' and the answer was an agreed no. Funnily enough a test from the Gadget Show was commented on (a singer vs a Linn) and there was no great controversy about that (the singer won). The reason why I bring this up is not because it involves the Gadget Show and a dodgy test, but because since hifi cannot accurately represent live sound, what does it represent? The sound quality at most of the concerts I have been to has been poor in any case. What live album sounds better than the studio version? WOW!!! That has staggered me. All I can say is that there must be a stunning lack of collective listening experience around these parts if it can be 'agreed' upon that hifi cannot sound live, or cannot 'accurately represent live sound'. Really, and I mean this quite seriously, perhaps a few people here should spend more time listening to and understanding - their own systems, other systems, and live music - rather than spending so much time on discussions on internet forums. Wow.... Edit: Can somebody provide a link to the thread referenced by idc? Thanks

Hi Tear Drop, the Is it Live thread was about quality of reproduction of sound and what it is possible to achieve with a hifi, a perfectly reasonable topic on a hifi forum surely? The reference to the Gadget Show was coincidental as it involved one of their not valid but fun and interesting 'tests'. I also like it when Top Gear 'tests' caravans by battering them like conkers.

But moving away from the light hearted I have now posed the question 'if hifi cannot accurately represent live sound, what does it represent?' Is it to reproduce the sound as close to the original recording as possible? I think it is to make music I enjoy listening to and for me generally and the Gadget Show presenters on the day and with their test that was mp3.

That really appears to have got on peoples goat and I do not understand why. If someone else came on this forum and announced that their system invloved wax cylinders rotating on a spit and the sound coming out of one speaker and that they had testing it against CD and vinyl underwater and it was definitely better, I would not lay into them. But I would have a few reasonable questions for them.

Tear Drop, you comment about spending more time listening to systems and less on the forum, well I am presently listening the Yes 'Fragile' and you seem to find this topic interesting enough to ask for the link to the other thread!

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:chebby:
emotion-39.gif

emotion-4.gif

So basically men ogling is so last season, while women ogling is the new....er.....

I'm lost.

A

Anonymous

I for one welcome our new iPod overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted hi-fi personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground data-compression caves.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
idc:Tear Drop, you comment about spending more time listening to systems and less on the forum, well I am presently listening the Yes 'Fragile' and you seem to find this topic interesting enough to ask for the link to the other thread!

Ah, don't we all love a bit of one-upmanship!! It what keeps us coming back to the forums over and over, lol.

idc

On a more serious note...........................................................

silly-kid-sticking-out-tongue.jpg

MP3 won yah, boo, sucks! The Gadget Show is brilliant and once I have ditched my last Loaded girlfriend I am going to marry Suzi Perry.

Does anyone else out there think that music in a file format sounds more forgiving on their system than CDs? In other words the well recorded stuff still sounds good, but the badly recorded stuff sounds tolerable.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:chebby:

emotion-39.gif

emotion-4.gif

Nah, you just admit it more nowadays.

And thats only because we men told you you're allowed...

Oops. Where's my bike...?

manicm

idc:

On a more serious note...........................................................

silly-kid-sticking-out-tongue.jpg

MP3 won yah, boo, sucks! The Gadget Show is brilliant and once I have ditched my last Loaded girlfriend I am going to marry Suzi Perry.

Does anyone else out there think that music in a file format sounds more forgiving on their system than CDs? In other words the well recorded stuff still sounds good, but the badly recorded stuff sounds tolerable.

Maybe it's just me ears or me system, but I have never found MP3s forgiving in any system or scenario, so I scratch my head at that one. On an iPod MP3s are ok, but I would definitely say AAC is forgiving, compared to any format. But is that due to the format or iPod?

Then again I don't have an external DAC in my hifi so maybe my statements are not fully qualified.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts