Need advice on best digital source

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I wonder if anyone could help me. We are making a few changes to our house and it's allowed me to have a proper stereo for the first time. I am looking at the Richer Sounds deal on Nad c352 amp, maybe the kefq1 floorstanding speakers, plus a turntable so my wife can get her records out of the loft for the first time in years. This will be for a living room which we have decided will have no television. I don't want to buy a CD player as I have Pioneer DVD player which plays SACD and DVD Audio discs which I realise have excellent high resolution stereo tracks which I could play in the future when the DVD player is replaced for a reasonably priced Blu-Ray player. So, the main way I want to listen to music (and radio) on this set up is digitally. I just don't know the best way to do this. Should I invest in a DAC to improve the input from my Airport Expresses which I currently use to distribute my music, which consists of 3,000 fairly high res MP3 files, not lossless. Would this also improve the sound of internet radio which I also could stream into the dac/amp also using the Airport Express? My new tv set up includes an Apple TV and I have to say the sound from it into my old av amp (now on the way out) through the optical connection is fantastic. I suppose the question is would it be better to get another Apple TV and fill it with lossless files and use it solely as a digital source for my new set-up. Or would the wireless network solution be just as good especially if i stick some lossless files on the computer? Also would I be better to shell out for a FM tuner - or even use a freeview unit to get high quality radio. Maybe I could get away with a small screen in this room which would be used to show the apple tv or freeview menu only? Any thoughts welcome? Especially on the best floorstanding speakers to match up with the Nad, Many thanks

A

Anonymous

Any more questions? ;)

A good DAC may improve the sound. A bad one won't.

The Sonos system looks pretty good for what you want.

My standard/default recommendation for speakers is Focal, so the chorus floorstanders for you my boy.

A

Anonymous

Sorry marcymarc

My post on the editing page has more pars than Tiger Woods

But for some reason (mac use? Safari browser) it will not let me insert par breaks when is is posted.

Let's see how this comes out.

Thanks to BigGuads for the advice. I will check the Sonas and the Focal speakers out

I have had another thought since I posted earlier.

If I used my Marantz sr 4300 av amp to drive two decent speakers and use another Apple TV to provide the source of lossless files through the optical link, would this be poor compared to the Nad amp? I have being playing sacd and dvd a through my surround system which sounds fine but the stereo sound direct from the apple tv into the amp through the optical link is a revelation to me. I am hearing sounds in mp3 files i haven't heard before and the bass is spectacular. Some of this are good quality mp3s, one or two are lossless files and some ever downloads which sound fine too, I can see now that wireless transmission does affect the sound and the advantage of using the av amp to drive the speakers is that it has an optical in.

Would this be much inferior to a standalone Nad amp with or without a DAC?

A

Anonymous

Soz mate, I can't sort the wheat from the chaff of that last post!

A

Anonymous

Dear BigGuads

To put it more simply, if I use an av receiver to drive two speakers, will this automatically be inferior to using a dedicated two-channel amp to do the same thing?

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Not necessarily, this would really depend on the relative quality of both amps. That said, with your current sources (and I mean no insult) this may not be too much of an issue.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think what you're noticing is the Apple TV's DAC is not as good as the DAC in your AV amp. So getting a decent external DAC, plugging your Apple TV into this and then running this through your standard integrated amp would probably give a better sound I reckon. Trouble is, my knowledge on this is pretty limited - we really need a fr0g or someone to come onboard who's had some good experience with using the digital sound formats.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="russell123"]Dear BigGuads

To put it more simply, if I use an av receiver to drive two speakers, will this automatically be inferior to using a dedicated two-channel amp to do the same thing?[/quote]

No, it depends on the quality of each... A good AV reciever will be better than a not so good amp.

The use of paragraphs would be appreciated though, rather than being faced with a huge block of text :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="marcymarc555"]paragraphs go down really well you know.[/quote]

Ditto capital letters and commas.

John Duncan

OK, for those who can't abide lack of formatting, I've sorted it out for you - can we try and help him now? -

I wonder if anyone could help me. We are making a few changes to our house and it's allowed me to have a proper stereo for the first time.

I am looking at the Richer Sounds deal on Nad c352 amp, maybe the kefq1 floorstanding speakers, plus a turntable so my wife can get her records out of the loft for the first time in years.

This will be for a living room which we have decided will have no television. I don't want to buy a CD player as I have Pioneer DVD player which plays SACD and DVD Audio discs which I realise have excellent high resolution stereo tracks which I could play in the future when the DVD player is replaced for a reasonably priced Blu-Ray player.

So, the main way I want to listen to music (and radio) on this set up is digitally. I just don't know the best way to do this. Should I invest in a DAC to improve the input from my Airport Expresses which I currently use to distribute my music, which consists of 3,000 fairly high res MP3 files, not lossless. Would this also improve the sound of internet radio which I also could stream into the dac/amp also using the Airport Express?

My new tv set up includes an Apple TV and I have to say the sound from it into my old av amp (now on the way out) through the optical connection is fantastic.

I suppose the question is would it be better to get another Apple TV and fill it with lossless files and use it solely as a digital source for my new set-up. Or would the wireless network solution be just as good especially if i stick some lossless files on the computer? Also would I be better to shell out for a FM tuner - or even use a freeview unit to get high quality radio. Maybe I could get away with a small screen in this room which would be used to show the apple tv or freeview menu only?

Any thoughts welcome? Especially on the best floorstanding speakers to match up with the Nad, Many thanks

John Duncan

Anyway - first thing's first - the Q1s are not floorstanders - do you specifically want floors or are standmounts acceptable?

Secondly, if you want to avoid the aesthetics or expense of a screen, I would eschew an additional Apple TV - either use your existing airport express or get a Roku Soundbridge or Squeezebox, to give you a display - cheaper and just as effective, if you don't need AppleTV's streaming video capability. Others here have hinted at good results with a DAC - the Beresford is well-spoken-of, but I can't comment.

Thirdly - you say you want a CD player - do you mean now or at some future point? If now, look at the Superfi NAD package deals, which come with some free speakers, basically.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for all the advice.

I am still tramatised by my inability to create paragraphs. I feel hypocritical as I am someone who hates it when writers mix up it's and its and use the dreaded Oxford comma.

I hang my keyboard in shame.

I have learnt my lesson now as you can see.

Thank you in particular John for your sterling paragraph insertion work.

And some spot on advice. I will check out the Roku Soundbridge and the Squeezbox.

Thank you.

or even

Thank

You

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts