Monitor Audio RS6 Questions

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Just wonfdering what the front ports are for. Are they also for bass, as the rear ports?

Another question. Does the sound improve if I use the metal spikes? I m only usfing the rubber ones...

Thanks again

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
da_grudge:
Just wonfdering what the front ports are for. Are they also for bass, as the rear ports?

Another question. Does the sound improve if I use the metal spikes? I m only usfing the rubber ones...

Thanks again

Yes bass for the front as well. That's a suck it and see question. It all depends on your room's floor I suppose. Try both.

A

Anonymous

The front ports are for bass. Use the port bungs (and socks) in both front and rear to see how they sound in your setup.

Try moving the speakers nearer to / away from the wall.

Try toeing them in and straight on.

Metal spikes or rubber depends on your floor surface.

Try also (very carefully) removing the mesh cover from the tweeter to see how the treble alters.

T

the record spot

It's got two drivers AND two bass ports front AND back? Meh. I suppose accurate bass and the RS6 might be mutually exclusive terms...?!

Sorry top seem so dismissive (honestly!), but that seems like incredible overkill. The more I can get a realistic bass, the better it makes the music sound to my ears. My 752s are quite lean sounding, but the bass is pretty accurate, though there are three very small ports to the front (not sure of Mission's logic there), but the RS6 port arrangement really surprises me!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:It's got two drivers AND two bass ports front AND back? Meh. I suppose accurate bass and the RS6 might be mutually exclusive terms...?!

Sorry top seem so dismissive (honestly!), but that seems like incredible overkill. The more I can get a realistic bass, the better it makes the music sound to my ears. My 752s are quite lean sounding, but the bass is pretty accurate, though there are three very small ports to the front (not sure of Mission's logic there), but the RS6 port arrangement really surprises me!

How do you assess "accurate bass"? How do you compare the sound of your speaker to how the musician / engineer meant it to sound?

T

the record spot

The bass I here is reproduced to sound pretty accurate compared to the real thing. The ports on my 752s are pretty small compared to my older 733i Missions which have a larger central port at the front. That does good deep bass, but there is a pretty clear difference which is the more lifelike. Hence the 752 is sometimes called a lean speaker, but it's perhaps that the smaller port arrangement permits less of the "doof-doof" as the air gets shifted and more of the accurate bass sonics to get out.

I have no idea how the designer (Henry Azima) intended them to sound all I know is whatever he did, it's bloody good in our lounge. I'm questioning how a regular sized floorstander featuring two main driver units, needs two ports at the front and the back to do the job properly? It seems like excess to my way of thinking.

Henry Azima (Bio extract): http://www.netscientific.net/habio.html - this guy's why some Mission speakers were so good up the mid-90s.

Further Edit: looks like it runs in the family: http://www.realbusiness.co.uk/printable/4772571/britains-intel.thtml

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

maybe I misread this, but the RS6 has one port on the front and one port on the rear.

T

the record spot

I take it you're referring to my post, no you kind of misread, but I phrased it badly - two ports in all, one to the front and the other, as you say, at the back. Still reckon that's one too many given the speaker driver design!

A

Anonymous

da_grudge:ok....and the spikes? Metal for wooden floor?

You can get little round felt bottomed plastic discs with holes for the spikes to go into (a few quid at most). When I tried these with the spikes and compared that to the rubber feet, the improvement was immeasurable.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:I take it you're referring to my post, no you kind of misread, but I phrased it badly - two ports in all, one to the front and the other, as you say, at the back. Still reckon that's one too many given the speaker driver design!

By the way the RS6 only has one bass driver, the other large one is midrange. The effectiveness and effect of bass ports are a matter of debate - the number of ports does not necessarily make a lot of difference to the sound. I would let my ears judge how a speaker performs, rather than acoustics. Acoustics is not an exact science, by any means.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

If you use the metal spikes, I got some metal disks with a divot in them so the spike sits in. This means I don't ruin the wood floor and it allows me to slide the speakers out into the room when the missus isn't in. No marks on the floor yet!

T

the record spot

ffiish:

By the way the RS6 only has one bass driver, the other large one is midrange. The effectiveness and effect of bass ports are a matter of debate - the number of ports does not necessarily make a lot of difference to the sound. I would let my ears judge how a speaker performs, rather than acoustics. Acoustics is not an exact science, by any means.

Nope and I understand that, but I'm surprised at this model. Still, it is obviously a science which works to a degree, but I am keen to hear what a closed box floorstander can do, hence the WD25T-EX from World Designs is somewhere on an upgrade shopping list of the future!

A

Anonymous

ffiish:

You can get little round felt bottomed plastic discs with holes for the spikes to go into (a few quid at most). When I tried these with the spikes and compared that to the rubber feet, the improvement was immeasurable.

Really? Immeasurable you say..... In what way?

I have been using the rubber feet as I have tile floors. Maybe I should give the spikes a try. Where do you get those plastic discs?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts