MONITOR AUDIO PLC 350 ????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all im thinking of upgrading my center speaker but not sure will it be a waste of money seeing as i have the Monitor Audio PLC 150, or will Its biger brother the PLC 350 blow it out of the water and i will hear a big difference to the plc 150, any help would be most appreciated,THANKS

Bamz said:
Hi all im thinking of upgrading my center speaker but not sure will it be a waste of money seeing as i have the Monitor Audio PLC 150, or will Its biger brother the PLC 350 blow it out of the water and i will hear a big difference to the plc 150, any help would be most appreciated,THANKS

Hi Bamz

I currently use the PL300AV and PL200AV systems with Onkyo's PR-SC5508 and a Plinius Odean. As good as the PLC150 is however the PLC350 is capable of outperforming the PLC150 by some margin which easily helps justify the premium. You'll hear a difference between the two speakers with your LX83 although ultimately even better quality of amplification is needed to really open up the Platinum speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi rick thanks for the fast reply back mate,looks like i will go for the biger PLC350 then,the missis will be well happy :bigsmile: . I knew my amp was not doing the platinums total justice and need to change it to get the very best out of them, ive had a look at the Onkyo PR-SC5508 you have running yours but that monster Pliius Odean is totaly out of my budget :( is there anything elss you could recommend for me to stack with the Onkyo PR-SC5508 ????? max budget would be 5000 pounds but thats with the Onkyo so ive got 3000 to play with, THANKS from bamz

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would now wait for the 5509 which we'll be seeing around September time. Specs haven't been released yet, but at least then you'll have a bang up to date processor. At least then, if you decide not to go for the 5509, you may find a few used 5508's on the market by those upgrading.

As far as power amplifiers are concerned, you could add in something like Rotel's RMB1575 or NAD's T975, and depending on your time-scale, the Audiolab 8200X7. If you can squeeze a deal, you might just be able to factor in Arcam's P777 or Anthem's A5. Any of these will get much more out of the Platinum range than the excellent SCLX83.

There will be a few more options if you don't mind using several stereo power amplifiers rather than an 'all in one' 5 or 7 channel power amp. But, doing it this way allows you to concentrate on a better quality amp for your front pair, if you use them for stereo purposes too.

Bamz said:
Hi rick thanks for the fast reply back mate,looks like i will go for the biger PLC350 then,the missis will be well happy :bigsmile: . I knew my amp was not doing the platinums total justice and need to change it to get the very best out of them, ive had a look at the Onkyo PR-SC5508 you have running yours but that monster Pliius Odean is totaly out of my budget :( is there anything elss you could recommend for me to stack with the Onkyo PR-SC5508 ????? max budget would be 5000 pounds but thats with the Onkyo so ive got 3000 to play with, THANKS from bamz

Hi Bamz

Your welcome.

Nice one :) The PLC350 is a superb centre which looks menacing J) and can sound stunning :bigsmile: Yes, the Plinius Odean is indeed a monster and the Odean even scares the PL300AV/PL200AV speaker systems J) which is no mean feat :bigsmile:

Anyway i would have suggested the matching PA-MC5500 to go with the PR-SC5508 however if you are happy to consider a used or a demo AV amp then look out for the superb Yamaha DSP-Z11 as you should find one within your budget. The DSP-Z11 will go much further in opening up the performance potential of your Platinum speakers. Alternatively if you are happy to wait then Audiolab's new 8200AP and 8200X7 looks very promising :) All being well the 8200AP/8200X7 should be available within the next few months or so :bigsmile:

Btw, i am sure it has crossed your mind ;) using a pair of Platinum speakers for the rears :) A pair of PL100's for the rears will be the icing on the cake :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
This is the route I'm heading down. I've got a PLC350 on order and I'll continue using my PL100's as left and right channels until I've saved enough to get the PL200's.

A

Anonymous

Hi david thanks for all the great advice mate, im deffo going to wait till sep time now to have a look at the new Onkyo 5509,and then its just a matter of deciding what power amp to go for i really like the Audiolab 8200X7,but would love to go for the Arcam P777 or the Anthem A5. I bought my Monitor Audio PLW 15 sub of yourself and kevin about 12 weeks ago had it for a awesome price of you guys becouse it was X demo,the PLW15 is awesome from the sound to the looks cant think of one bad word to say about it :bigsmile: ,the missis hates it though had it all set up by the time she had come home from work,she walks in takes a look at it asks me what the hell it is and then said "OHH MY GOD LEE IT JUST LOOKS LIKE A SMALL WASHING MACHINE" :) quality :) Would you recommend changeing the power lead on my Monitor Audio PLW15 david ???as i am not sure would i get any more benefits from a high end power lead ??? THANKS from Bamz

A

Anonymous

Hi rick mate, AWW i would love to hear the Plinius Odean driveing the PL300AV or PL200AV systems bet that sounds totaly scary big time J) ,and you have definitely helped me make my mind up with the Monitor Audio PLC350 BIG THUMBS UP FOR THAT :) just got to sell my PLC150 now. Im going to wait to have a look at the new Audiolab 8200AP and 8200X7 i really like the look of them bad boys :) ,untill then im going to have a read of every review and spec that i can find of everything that has been mentioned so far by all :) Is it best to go for a Pre and Power over something like the awesome DSP-Z11 mate??? and my last question rick as silly as this may sound to you is it aways best to go for the same make as in Pre and Power??? or could i go for the Onkyo's PR-SC5508 and match it with a Arcam's P777 or Anthem's A5 as mentioned by david im pritty new to this as you may tell and very unsure with any Pre and Power combos at all. THANKS from bamz

A

Anonymous

Hi VoodooDoctor I love my platinums they are the best speakers ever,they handle everything from music to moves with perfection as you know yourself :) I saved up for my PL200 first totaly AWESOME mate,then got my PLC150 but soon to be the PLC350 :bigsmile: and then had a cracking deal on my PLW 15 SUB which im still over the moon with :) I really want the PL100S for rears now or if i can save up enough to get another set of PL200 for rears that would be a mad system,would love to go for the bigger PL300S but my room is not bigger enough for them monsters and have read some reviews that in smaller rooms they sound very over powering. Please can you let me know what you thing of the PLC350 when it comes and you have set it all up :) THANKS from bamz

Bamz said:
Hi rick mate, AWW i would love to hear the Plinius Odean driveing the PL300AV or PL200AV systems bet that sounds totaly scary big time J) ,and you have definitely helped me make my mind up with the Monitor Audio PLC350 BIG THUMBS UP FOR THAT :) just got to sell my PLC150 now. Im going to wait to have a look at the new Audiolab 8200AP and 8200X7 i really like the look of them bad boys :) ,untill then im going to have a read of every review and spec that i can find of everything that has been mentioned so far by all :) Is it best to go for a Pre and Power over something like the awesome DSP-Z11 mate??? and my last question rick as silly as this may sound to you is it aways best to go for the same make as in Pre and Power??? or could i go for the Onkyo's PR-SC5508 and match it with a Arcam's P777 or Anthem's A5 as mentioned by david im pritty new to this as you may tell and very unsure with any Pre and Power combos at all. THANKS from bamz

Hi Bamz

Well if you're ever in this part of the world then you're more then welcome to have a listen to the Odean power amp scaring the living daylights out the PL300AV and PL200AV speaker systems J)

You can mix and match pre and power amps from different manufacturers provided it suits your system (just as i've done with the PR-SC5508 and the Odean).

At this moment in time i would try and find a DSP-Z11 as still a superb amplifier it should be within your budget :bigsmile: However if you are prepared to wait then Audiolab's 8200AP and 8200X7 is worth waiting for :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS