Question Mission 753 and 752 help please.

treesey

I have a pair of each of these, neither are the Freedom version, and I love the soundstage/imaging and most of the range, but I struggle with the treble.

For example on The Cure 'Just Like Heaven', the cymbal is just too crashy.

I have tried bi-amping the 753 through my Yamaha DSP-AX763 which should be plenty of power, or my Arcam Delta 290, and the treble is the same. (Source is a Sony 555-ESD).
Listening to the same track on wireless headphones, Master & Dynamic MW60, is so much better (I admit it's not an easy sound to recreate), but the Missions can't do these high frequencies justice with either amplifier, to my ears at least.

Is there any amplifier that can tame the highs on the Missions, or I am I better off finding some other speakers?

Thanks!

I have a pair of each of these, neither are the Freedom version, and I love the soundstage/imaging and most of the range, but I struggle with the treble.

For example on The Cure 'Just Like Heaven', the cymbal is just too crashy.

I have tried bi-amping the 753 through my Yamaha DSP-AX763 which should be plenty of power, or my Arcam Delta 290, and the treble is the same. (Source is a Sony 555-ESD).
Listening to the same track on wireless headphones, Master & Dynamic MW60, is so much better (I admit it's not an easy sound to recreate), but the Missions can't do these high frequencies justice with either amplifier, to my ears at least.

Is there any amplifier that can tame the highs on the Missions, or I am I better off finding some other speakers?

Thanks!
Some amplifiers might add to your treble problems.
Have you tried repositioning the speakers so they are toed out?
If not a speaker change may be the only option.

Last edited:

treesey

Yes they would. I have a 1980s Crimson Elektrik that does. So the main reason why I was asking if anyone had found a good solution, modern or period amp? I have read many people suggesting the Audiolabs of the time, but as many threads recommend the Arcam.

Yes I have had the speakers in various configs/rooms, have the 753s currently in an 'ideal' position according to Mission documentation for the 75 series, but the treble is still the treble.

As Mission themselves revised the 75xs with the later tweeter, anyone here heard them compared directly? Does it make that much difference?

Have you got a picture of their setup? That can help diagnose anything easily tried.

I agree with Al, don’t be too tied to what the manual says. Try some alternative toe-in or positioning. Is the treble calmer with the curtains drawn?

treesey

...and I should have said, source is the Sony 555-ESD both digital and analogue inputs, plus decent sample-rate digital through an Arcam irDAC into the Delta 290. They can all result in an over-harsh treble, on a song such as the above.

treesey

Have you got a picture of their setup? That can help diagnose anything easily tried.

I agree with Al, don’t be too tied to what the manual says. Try some alternative toe-in or positioning. Is the treble calmer with the curtains drawn?

I can tinker with the setup, and have, but the treble can always be too harsh, song depending.

Positioning is (IIRC) 2.5m apart, 20cm from back wall, more than 50cm from side walls, straight out/90 degrees - have tried them at all angles up to 'direct at listener'.

Two completely different rooms as well.......

I can tinker with the setup, and have, but the treble can always be too harsh, song depending.

Positioning is (IIRC) 2.5m apart, 20cm from back wall, more than 50cm from side walls, straight out/90 degrees - have tried them at all angles up to 'direct at listener'.

Two completely different rooms as well.......
Sounds like those speakers are not for you.
An amplifier will not alter the treble response of those tweeters, unless you get something with tone controls. I remember those Crimson amps, I had a Quantum pre / power combo that was similar.
If you cannot live with them get shot would be my suggestion.

treesey

Thanks. Though I'd disagree on what an amplifier can do to how a speaker sounds.

Both the amplifiers I mentioned have tone controls - as you say not the Crimson - and I can remove the harshness using them. But I shouldn't have to, and I lose other parts of the song if I do.

Apart from this one drawback (harshness on some 'poor' recordings), the speakers have an amazing ability to image and place you in front of the performer. I'd rather listen to those few 'harsh' songs on the MW60s than change the Missions.

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
I had a pair of 753's for many years, in different houses/rooms with different amplifiers. Whilst impressive at first, with extended listening sessions they become painful on the ears due to the treble.
In the end the only solution was to change to a different speaker and my ears thanked me.

FMIB

Dec 3, 2021
Visit site
At the time to Usher's Be718 bookshelf, due to the following:

Tiny Dancers are terrific performers combining a surprising and class-leading quality and quantity of bass brawn with excellent dynamics, a beautifully articulate and expressive mid-band and an honest yet fatigue-free treble.

Then an upgrade to floor standers, Usher's Dancer Mini 2 and have never suffered treble fatigue with either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts