Replacing Mission 753 speakers.

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. I love the sound from my hi-fi system and would be happy to keep it exactly as it is but in a couple of months we are decorating our living room and my wife would like to lose the dated look of our mahogany furniture. Unfortunately my rosewood finished Mission 753 speakers would look out of place in a room fitted out with light oak furniture so I may reluctantly have to find an alternative speaker. I have been watching Ebay and other sites for months for a pair of oak-finished Mission 753s but these are extremely rare and second hand pairs never seem to come up in oak. Can anyone recommend a suitable floor-standing speaker to replace my 753s? I want the speakers to look as good as they sound with a beautiful finish. I don't really want ugly boxes either side of my TV. I would probably prefer to buy a second hand pair of well reviewed classic speakers in good condition rather than a cheaper new pair. My existing system is: Mission 753 speakers (bi-amped)Arcam Delta 290 ampArcam Delta 290P power ampArcam Alpha 9 CD player I listen to various 80's, 90's and modern pop music. I also enjoy dance music as well as groups like Genesis, Fleetwood Mac and The Who. I guess my budget for a second hand pair would be up to £800 - £1000. Obviously a slightly cheaper pair would be nice. Thanks for any recommendations. Jason

I had the mission m35i speakers in beech finish which looked great and performed way above their price.

I sold them on and replaced with Focal Chorus 826v. A gorgeous looking speaker, available in a few different finishes, and within budget. I can recommend them completely.

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I had the mission m35i speakers in beech finish which looked great and performed way above their price.

I sold them on and replaced with Focal Chorus 826v. A gorgeous looking speaker, available in a few different finishes, and within budget. I can recommend them completely.

Thanks for the recommendation. I shall give these a look.

Jason

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The 753 are a good speaker, in today's money you'd be looking at around £1500 to replace them. (Spendor a5's today's equivalent).

Use them to add colour to your oak coloured room.

Get some black slabs to put them on and put the grills on after a good polish - once your new decor is completed see how they look before spending.

Good speakers those......

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I recently transformed an old Nathan sideboard by rubbing it down and staining it black. Despite the black stain (and wax) the original antique oak colour still affected the finish so my 'new' piece of furniture was a very dark black-brown - rather than straight black (it still looked great for what I wanted). That rosewood stain would be nigh on impossible to remove, so a new veneer or spraying seems to be a good option, especially if you like them so much and were prepared to pay £800-£1000 to replace them. During my research into stains/waxes I discovered some local furniture restorers/french polishers who provide a range of services. How about getting a quote to re-veneer or simply veneer over the top of the rosewood?

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Have you considered good 2nd hand standmounts? .... Loads of really good ones on ebay, and £1000 is a healthy budget.

I'd be looking at Harbeth P3ESR,

For floorstanders, you could get a good pair of B&W Nautilus 802 on ebay if you are patient ....

I'm also on the market for good speakers, but my budget is a lot less than yours. I've heard good things about the new Kralk Audio BC30 .... They say it's as good as the old BBC LS3/5A but does good bass aswell. Cheap for £350.

You should be able to sell your 753's for approx £220-£250

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts