Might Sound Crazy, but would it work?

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I was stood in the shower thinking about my system, as you do, and a thought struck me. Most active speakers use class D for the bass driver and class A/B for the tweeter.

I currently have two Class D MF M1 PWR amps running bi amped but could run them in mono mode to each bass driver and use the loop output to another amplifier (class A) to drive the tweeters for each speaker. Either two small class A amps (one per tweeter) or a larger class A and use it to run them both.

Is this just a pointless exercise in futility, would it work, would I notice any difference?

:)

A

Anderson

It could work.

You could notice a difference, class A is said to have a 'warm' sound. It could be worth it.. If you have everything you need why no it try.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I dont have is the Class A's. My Tannoys DC6 SE's have a metallic tweeter and my thinking is it might offset the harshness.

Can anyone recommend any class A's? Amplifiers that is ;)

I'm guessing the issue might be balancing the outputs.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
It may well work but sounds like a waste of time to me, the main advantage of actives is in the cross-over and this would not replicate that. Tweeters I believe only use about 5% power in a typical two speaker so any power advantage I think would be lost by just bodging together differnent amps without a technical appreciation for what you're actually doing.

Might be worth a try as a bit of fun but I wouldn't go this route if it is purely for exploring upgrade paths.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
boggit said:
Personally I would spend you're money on new speakers.

You're probably right but I think the amps are my limiting factor at the moment. The Tannoy DC6 SE's are pretty decent and I'm restricted to standmounts due to the room.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Boggit, I was looking at some of the IPL stand mount kits but noticed most of them are marked as 'n/a'. Do you know at all if these have been discontinued?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
They are all, available as base kits without cabinets. The M3 is offered as a complete kit, the smaller M4 will be available with cabinet shortly. I have asked Ivan to let me know when they arrive so I can get one in.

They do sound pretty amazing. Well worth a go.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
What do you do about cabinet design for the driver kits?

It would be interesting if he did a stand mount transmission line kit to go against PMC Twenty 22's.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
He supplies "drawings" of sort! IPL's TL is more sophisticated. PMC run behind the drivers causing reflections. IPL start below drivers and have 2 baffles so no room in a small bookshelf. Not heard them but intend to get the DB1 size kit in. They use same drivers as mine.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
lol, "drawings" would okay, my step-father is a joiner/cabinet maker so I'd be outsourcing the work ;). I'd also probably replace the mdf with solid wood rather than veneer since I can get it at cost price.

Its the crossovers that scare me as they look fidely and I'm useless at soldering.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Its a doddle!. To be honest, a have a tiny 15W soldering iron for electronics i had to supplement heat on the driver wires with Mrs B's blowtourch for caramelizing food! My daughter fed in the solder! I have now purchased a new one as i have to make 2 sets this weekend. Send them to me i'll do them for you if you want.

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I tihnk I'll see what you make of the standmounters before I take the plunge. It'll be interesting to see if his smaller boxes are as good as the transmission line ones.

I'd go for the SM1 Mk2 but I really dont like the aesthetics of the port position on the front. Which leads me to the SM2's but they may be a bit big. So maybe the M2 might be the best bet but would have liked front ported rather than rear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts