Matching Amp to Speakers (Wattage)

Hello everyone.

I have recently come into possession of an Onkyo-9010 amplifier. This is rated at 44w per channel @ 8 ohms

I also have come into possession of some wharfedale valdus 400 speakers. This has a power rating of 150w at 8 ohms

My question is - can i run these together, or is it not a good idea? I am finding conflicting information through google. some people say it will damage the speakers, others that underpowering speakers is a myth.

Any advice would be appreciated. I can't find a search function on this forum, so i apologise if this is a frequently asked question (which i suspect it is).

the_master66

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Mickey Bubbles,

They'll be fine together - don't worry too much about the speaker ratings they are only a guide to suitable amps anyway.....most speakers have a range (say 50W-150w) but don't worry about it, if it sounds good that's all that matters.

Thanks

The_Master

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Enjoy. Yes you won't "underpower" the speakers. they'd probably sound fine with a 20W per channel amp. The onkyo has great reviews. It'll sound great!

tonky

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
8 Ohm nominal impedance and a 92 dB sensitivity: those Wharfedales are a breeze to drive (I guess a SET valve amplifier could cope).

Don't worry! Happy listening!*drinks*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
8 Ohm nominal impedance and a 92 dB sensitivity: those Wharfedales are a breeze to drive (I guess a SET valve amplifier could cope).

Don't worry! Happy listening!*drinks*

I'm running a pair of 4 Ohm 88dB Sonus Fabers off a 24 Watt SET Amp and it goes very loud and sounds sublime.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts