Cambridge Audio CXA61 and Amphion Argon 1 Speakers

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
So I am having to ‘downgrade’ my hifi system, which sucks.
My current system is Hegel h190 and Amphion argon 1 speakers. Now the speakers were chosen because my room is quite small and odd shaped and these speakers are unfussy about positioning and happen to pair brilliantly with the Hegel.

The Amphion are 86 db sensitivity and 8 ohms.
The Cambridge cxa61 is 60W at 8 ohms.

Will the Cambridge amp work okay with the Amphion speakers, as due to the room characteristics, I’d sooner keep hold of the speakers.

The other option I considered was using an audiolab 6000a with a audiolab 8000px power amp, which gives 100W at 8 ohms. Apparently this combo keeps the sonic signature of the 6000a and makes everything bigger and better.

Just wondered if anyone had any opinions please?

My current system is Hegel h190 and Amphion argon 1 speakers. Now the speakers were chosen because my room is quite small and odd shaped and these speakers are unfussy about positioning and happen to pair brilliantly with the Hegel.

Will the Cambridge amp work okay with the Amphion speakers, as due to the room characteristics, I’d sooner keep hold of the speakers.

The other option I considered was using an audiolab 6000a with a audiolab 8000px power amp, which gives 100W at 8 ohms. Apparently this combo keeps the sonic signature of the 6000a and makes everything bigger and better.

The Argon 1s are one of my favourite small monitors, they work well with a variety of amps.

The Cambridge should be fine, but it's best if you try the speakers at your local Richer Sounds.

Of course at 60 watts, like my 80 watt amp, you'll never blow down walls but it'll give you ample volume.

I would also listen to the new range of Marantz amps as well as the Audiolabs.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site

I’m not really familiar with any of products but going by the “numbers” the Cambridge amp will be just fine. And you never know you might not actually notice much difference if any, if you stay within the amps “sweet spot” of operation. If there is a difference it will be subtle at best.

Nothing wrong with audio lab either

If you are selling the H190 yourself, would buying used H95 realise sufficient funds? They seem to go for around £1200 and would keep the sound you enjoy.

Otherwise, I’m sure a friendly Richer Sounds would let you try a Cambridge on a returnable basis so you can decide for yourself.

Last edited:

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies. My current thought is to perhaps go with the CXA81, if I can get one for say £600 to £700. And add a MXN10 streamer.
I’ll keep an eye on the lower Hegel too, think at the time I looked, I saw a H120 and that was maybe £1500 ish. Will take a look on eBay later.

I saw that the CXA81 drives the kef LS50 easily, and they are slightly harder to drive than the amphions. So that amp should be fine

Reactions: Al ears
Thanks all for the replies. My current thought is to perhaps go with the CXA81, if I can get one for say £600 to £700. And add a MXN10 streamer.
I’ll keep an eye on the lower Hegel too, think at the time I looked, I saw a H120 and that was maybe £1500 ish. Will take a look on eBay later.

I saw that the CXA81 drives the kef LS50 easily, and they are slightly harder to drive than the amphions. So that amp should be fine
If you're going to buy a streamer as well why not get a streaming amplifier like the Denon PMA-900HNE and save some money?

Reactions: WayneKerr
If you're going to buy a streamer as well why not get a streaming amplifier like the Denon PMA-900HNE and save some money?
Agreed. Marantz also make great all-in-ones (streamer/amp) without spending fortunes.

From home demoing the Argon 1s last year they can veer slightly on the analytical side, and that's why IMO Marantz of some description should work a treat with Amphions.

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Marantz pm7000n? Does anyone know if this is a downward step in sound quality to a Cambridge amp? I know that it’s best to listen yourself - just a general query really.

Marantz pm7000n? Does anyone know if this is a downward step in sound quality to a Cambridge amp? I know that it’s best to listen yourself - just a general query really.
Can I just say in isolation those Argons are superb in every aspect. It was only when I compared them side by side with my Dalis that the slight shortfall in Argons were shown up.

Reactions: doifeellucky

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I really think they are great and do go so well with the Hegel. Plus I use a bk sub with the Hegel that is great.
I may keep an eye open and see if a cheaper model Hegel pops up on eBay too.
As I say, don’t want to change the speakers as my room is an odd shape and can’t get the speakers far away from the wall, which is why the amphions suit the room so well. Previously (in my old flat) I had a Cyrus setup with focal 906 speakers and they sounded fantastic in that room. When I moved though, they were too much for the new room and sounded totally different. Hence found the amphions for the room and then the amp to go with them

Yeah I really think they are great and do go so well with the Hegel. Plus I use a bk sub with the Hegel that is great.
I may keep an eye open and see if a cheaper model Hegel pops up on eBay too.
As I say, don’t want to change the speakers as my room is an odd shape and can’t get the speakers far away from the wall, which is why the amphions suit the room so well. Previously (in my old flat) I had a Cyrus setup with focal 906 speakers and they sounded fantastic in that room. When I moved though, they were too much for the new room and sounded totally different. Hence found the amphions for the room and then the amp to go with them
I've not heard any Hegel amps but you clearly like the combo.

Only heard Marantz 7000N briefly in a shop environment, and like any amp from the Marantz stable, they always hit the mark for my taste.

TRENDING THREADS