Returning member with Triangle, Amphion, Cyrus, Audiolab, and more...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Indeed, which always makes me think there’s an inherent flaw or weakness in their design. Once we go down the path of creating compensating errors it doesn’t often end well ime.

With apologies to those who love their Triangles!
Concur.

There must be those who have no issues with Triangles. You can obviously compensate or manipulate how a component can present itself, but it is somewhat limited.

No issues with the Triangles. I just find it almost as revealing as the Proac D2's I used to have. That in itself is a compliment.
Based on what amplifier?

Perhaps that's where the Triangles Achilles heel is: way too open and transparent.

As you don't have an issue, that's great.

However, I would suggest a Cyrus and Triangles are probably not the best combo.

There's a world of difference between excitement (instant impact) and something you can live long-term with.

Reactions: WayneKerr

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Based on what amplifier?

Perhaps that's where the Triangles Achilles heel is: way too open and transparent.

As you don't have an issue, that's great.

However, I would suggest a Cyrus and Triangles are probably not the best combo.

There's a world of difference between excitement (instant impact) and something you can live long-term with.
I went through Atoll, Plinius, then ended up with the Naim Supernait 2 when using D2's. The Plinius was by far the best match of the lot and the most transparent, too. The Triangle showed the Cyrus to be energetic and spunky. Audiolab 6000A sounded pacey and punchy. It's been fun trying different configurations with the gear I've bought.

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
One thing about the Audiolab 6000A is that amplification itself is really nothing out of ordinary. I think it's the DAC section that determines the character of its sound. It got me thinking, perhaps DAC is just supposed to be another form of equalization. All that jitter and purity of signal talk might just be marketing jargon.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The Esprit Titus speakers definitely don't "round things off", in fact the tweeter does the opposite. If a speaker rounded things off, it was my previous speakers the Elac debut b5 (first version), which were very laid back sounding. Great speakers apart from that. The other description about Triangles being delicate is more apt as so much can be picked up in the mix with these speakers and yes, when someone said above every tweak in a system is revealed in the speaker, this is definitely true.
Judging from your signature and what newworld uses with his Triangle Borea BR03, Triangle speakers, the Borea and Espirit lines at least, need amplifiers with a certain kind of signature. It was with a Naim Nait 5si that the Espirit Titus EZ did not sound convincing. If the amplifier has a velvety sound like Class A amps, then you get too much of a good thing.

Last edited:

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
One thing about the Audiolab 6000A is that amplification itself is really nothing out of ordinary. I think it's the DAC section that determines the character of its sound. It got me thinking, perhaps DAC is just supposed to be another form of equalization. All that jitter and purity of signal talk might just be marketing jargon.
The DAC in the Audiolab 6000A introduces some colororation in the sound since it is not isolated in any way from the rest of the amplifier. My Cambridge Audio CXA80 does the same thing with its USB input, it adds a "zing" to the sound. With the Atoll DAC100SE though ... it would be unfair to make comparisons but there is no "zing" and that takes out some of the "liveness".

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Judging from your signature and what newworld uses with his Triangle Borea BR03, Triangle speakers, the Borea and Espirit lines at least, need amplifiers with a certain kind of signature. It was with a Naim Nait 5si that the Espirit Titus EZ did not sound convincing. If the amplifier has a velvety sound like Class A amps, then you get too much of a good thing.
I remember that very Naim-Triangle setup used to be recommended by whathifi and was curious to hear the pair. The 5si has rolled off highs and generous bottom end which is the opposite of these speakers. Maybe the thinking was to offset to achieve balance? That way of approach has never worked for me.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I remember that very Naim-Triangle setup used to be recommended by whathifi and was curious to hear the pair. The 5si has rolled off highs and generous bottom end which is the opposite of these speakers. Maybe the thinking was to offset to achieve balance? That way of approach has never worked for me.
Maybe it was on purpose? An effort to sabotage the French invasion?

I went through Atoll, Plinius, then ended up with the Naim Supernait 2 when using D2's. The Plinius was by far the best match of the lot and the most transparent, too. The Triangle showed the Cyrus to be energetic and spunky. Audiolab 6000A sounded pacey and punchy. It's been fun trying different configurations with the gear I've bought.
Your conclusion for the best VFM combo is?

robdmarsh

If you want to hear Triangle Esprit line at their best, then Denon makes for a superb pairing in my opinion. On paper you might think maybe not, as Denon is a lively sounding amplifier, and Triangle Esprit Titus are known for their sparkling treble, so too much of a good thing, no? Wrong, the combination works very well and the Denon pma 800ne sounds like an amplifier in a class or two above its budget status.

robdmarsh

There seems to be a number of Triangle owner who struggle to find the right amplification.
I'm definitely not one of them. Me getting an Arcam is really just fooling around and wanting to see how good my little Denon is. For my tastes and in my set up, I think it beats the A29. Need to hear more, haven't been able to do any listening for a couple of days.

I'm definitely not one of them. Me getting an Arcam is really just fooling around and wanting to see how good my little Denon is. For my tastes and in my set up, I think it beats the A29. Need to hear more, haven't been able to do any listening for a couple of days.
As a former long-term Arcam owner, if you're not familiar with brand it can take a while to fully appreciate it's talents.

They do grow on you slowly. A system that has a lot 'fizz' in its presentation can become fatiguing.

As I use the hi-fi around 6 hours a day, I couldn't deal with a too lively presentation.

I understand about Denon/Triangles not working on paper. I had the same thing with Leema & RS6s. On paper it should be a dogs dinner, but they just work beautifully together. And I'm not the only one who rates Leema/MAs. A former member Voodoodoctor loved his Tucana/MA Platinum.

As always with hi-fi, it's not an exact science.

robdmarsh

I don't want a measuring stick - I want a sound that moves me and involves me in the music. I have a bit of a problem when people go on about equipment that measures well. Of course measurement is important but we're talking about music reproduction not hospital cat scanners!

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't want a measuring stick - I want a sound that moves me and involves me in the music. I have a bit of a problem when people go on about equipment that measures well. Of course measurement is important but we're talking about music reproduction not hospital cat scanners!
It's a figurative speech, but fair enough. Its musical involvement is a good standard other equipment can be compared to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts