Marantz Power

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
My first Marantz CD63 MkII KI Sig had a 'bog standard' power lead, as supplied. The CDP sounded very nice. When I purchased my second, it had been modified such that one of the claimed upgrades was a shielded cable - much thicker and substantial. Yes, I believe the mods enhance the performance (I compared both side by side), but it is surely a combination of factors that contribute. Does the better cable make a difference? No idea.

The Audiolab 8000S I purchased at the same time as the CDP has a very convenient IEC socket, which allows any kettle lead to be inserted to power it - very convenient and versatile. Obviously, the second 8000S is similarly endowed - marvellous! I plugged two Supra power cables in and the combo sounded just fine.

Now I have purchased the Marantz PM66SE KI Sig amplifier (and feel that I should have done this in the very first place!) So, it is out with the Audiolabs and in with the Marantz 'dream team'. And therein lies the rub. Despite the attentions of the well-respected Mr. I., the amp has the same stringy power lead that the original CDP possessed. On its own the Marantz amp has ousted the bi-amp/biwire combo and rendered my small collection of power cables all but redundant.

But has it? Is there anyone out there who has taken the brave step of butchering the original lead and going for the IEC option? What do forum members think of such a move? The amp is obviously out of warranty, so where's the harm? Is it wise? Is it worth it?

A

Anonymous

I'd be inclined to leave things as they are, but, if you want to try your leads, then it's not just a simple butchery job. You should really open up the case, take out the captive leads - they could be plugged or soldered - and put in the new.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Fair point.

In fact, a nice chap from Marantz responded to a query I sent earlier today to say that whilst they cannot endorse such endeavours, he could suggest doing some internet searches for modifying Marantz products.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts