marantz pm8005 upgrade to abrahamsen 2up

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
winiar550 said:
Blacksabbath25.The only reason i am selling abrahamsen is mostly that i wanted even more power and control and a bit sharper sound (faster as well) if you know what i mean.I was interested how the hypex class d is all about-heard both configuration abrahamsen pre- plus tho power amps in mono and the abrahamsen pre with nord hypex nc500 dm with the upgraded input boards and sparcos class a opamps and i was blown away by the overal sound quality,control of bass ,details etc. while still remaining quite warm soundig.These hypex class d amps is something special even if they dont look the sound quality is the best i have heard so far.Bear in mind that the speakers we have used were helping a lot (ipl s4tl).I will still say if you preffer a sound signature closer to the valve like in solid state but not wanting to spend a fortune then abrahamsen v20up is the way to go and i dont think you will be disapointed.My advice for you will be -make a demo at Colins house (hes a real gentelman by the way) take all your equipment with you and check for yourself(you might change mind about which direction to go.I bought a hypex nord nc500 full dual mono from Colin (IQ Speakers) with the standard hypex input boards and im already impressed -but its still not the same as i heard there but not jugding at the moment as i have the standard input boards plus using an m-dac as a preamp at the moment.Will try tomorrow with an abrahamsen pre then we will see.

Almost sounds like you need som pro pa speakers (not the chep ones) with high sensitivity and a big crown amp
my speakers are not cheap they cost £1200

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
Having one of these boxes in the living room is bad enough but three ... :)

I'd have the Nord's with a nice pre-amp any time.
yes i am starting to agree as i do not want loads of boxes i really just need 1 really but 2 if i have too the nord's sound good i will speak to colin again next week as i have not made my mind up yet as i do not want to rush into things this time round

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
drummerman said:

yes i am starting to agree as i do not want loads of boxes i really just need 1 really but 2 if i have too the nord's sound good i will speak to colin again next week as i have not made my mind up yet as i do not want to rush into things this time round

I do think you'll find it well worth hearing what Colin's nord Hypex amps can do. I still think a good option for you would be to keep the Marantz and use it as a pre-amp into a nord (as I suggested on the other thread a few days ago). *drinks*

iceman16

matt49 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
drummerman said:

I do think you'll find it well worth hearing what Colin's nord Hypex amps can do. I still think a good option for you would be to keep the Marantz and use it as a pre-amp into a nord (as I suggested on the other thread a few days ago). *drinks*

Or try some valve pre + nord Hypex

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
matt49 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
drummerman said:

I feel a bit of a stupid as I just found out that one of my speakers has been running out of faze but not my doing Dali had put the wrong positive post screws on the wrong side on one of the speakers they had put the red coloured screws on the negative side on one speaker now it sounds right . So my options are if I keep my 8005 which I do not mind doing as it is a good amp would be a nord power amp or the nord mono block amp by useing the pre outs of the 8005 ? What would that do for me with sound quality?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I feel a bit of a stupid as I just found out that one of my speakers has been running out of faze but not my doing Dali had put the wrong positive post screws on the wrong side on one of the speakers they had put the red coloured screws on the negative side on one speaker now it sounds right . So my options are if I keep my 8005 which I do not mind doing as it is a good amp would be a nord power amp or the nord mono block amp by useing the pre outs of the 8005 ? What would that do for me with sound quality?

No reason why you should feel stupid; it was Dali's mistake.

I'm sure the system is sounding much better now. Maybe best to spend some time with the system as it is.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

Many have made that mistake. If it sounds like you want it to then result. Save some cash, get a brew made, fire up some tunes and ENJOY! Glad you figured it out in the end.*clapping*

matt49 said:
I'm sure the system is sounding much better now. Maybe best to spend some time with the system as it is.

Hi matt49

+1
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

It did seem strange to me that you thought the Marantz wasn't doing the speakers justice but I couldn't seem to get anywhere with it when there were so many other ways to fix it that involved new things.

Enjoy!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
splasher said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

It did seem strange to me that you thought the Marantz wasn't doing the speakers justice but I couldn't seem to get anywhere with it when there were so many other ways to fix it that involved new things.

Enjoy!
the funny thing about it was before I noticed the problem because I had the speakers setup and toed in a bit they both kind of sounded the same but I only found out because I was getting odd sounds and like I said in older posts the soundstage was on the weak side but only a bit I had to put my head to the speakers and that's when I found out there was a sound difference on one speakers so the other speaker must of been covering up the sound on the bad speaker . But hay just glad I sort it out it sounds a lot bolder now

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hits me like a nail through the head if I ever plug speakers up out of phase. In fact listening to music OOP for very long makes me feel sick, especially if I'm sat in the 'sweet spot'. (Yes really, don't know why). But equally I appreciate with some amazement that many people just don't hear it. Including Mrs Fubar. Bet it sounds much different for you now, especially the bass and imaging, which presumably beforehand were all over the place.

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
matt49 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
drummerman said:

After all that?!!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Well i was thinki g you just wanted more.

Out of phase speakers would really sound odd so no wonder.

Maybe best to relax and enjoy the sound for a bit before the upgrade bug bites back.

The marantz is a very good amp.

Although i must admit i was looking forward to your impressions

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad you've got it sorted out *smile* .

I think you should stick with the Marantz for the time being and enjoy it now you have found out why it sounded lacking, then at a later date if you feel like you need a step or two up you can contact Colin and try some different combinations .

Enjoy the music !

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Not heard the Rubicons - a mention here from CES report:

Dali[/b] featured the Opticon 8[/b] ($3800), a three-way using Dali’s celebrated hybrid ribbon/soft-dome tweeter. It also sports a more basic version of Dali’s costly SMC woofers, now built entirely in-house, with a midrange in its own enclosure. Costs are kept in line via the textured vinyl-laminate enclosure. Performance was near full-range, lively, and dynamically open, approaching the pricier Rubicon in flavor and output.

Would hope the higher quality drivers and possibly crossover will make a difference, but guess most of the money goes on the veneers. My Opticons are in "dark walnut" and look fine to my eyes. £1200 vs £3000 so £200 VAT vs £500 to Gordon Osbourne.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
lukam30 said:
I am looking to upgrade my speakers and I am thinking about Dali Rubicon 6.Have you had a chance to listen or compare Rubicon and Opticon?Thanks
no i have not listen to any of the dali rubicon speakers i think and i am not sure but i think the rubicon our meant to be dali's flagship speaker range but as for opticon 6 they our amazing speakers for the money very clean, clear , detailed , low down deep bass which they controled very well they will keep up with any kind of music you feed them . they are the best speakers i have ever owned before they cost £1100 new but i think the rubicons are a dam sight more £2000 plus ? but if your looking for floorstanding speakers you would not go far wrong with this try and get a demo on them and your see what i mean wouth every penny money well spent

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
Not heard the Rubicons - a mention here from CES report:

Dali featured the Opticon 8 ($3800), a three-way using Dali’s celebrated hybrid ribbon/soft-dome tweeter. It also sports a more basic version of Dali’s costly SMC woofers, now built entirely in-house, with a midrange in its own enclosure. Costs are kept in line via the textured vinyl-laminate enclosure. Performance was near full-range, lively, and dynamically open, approaching the pricier Rubicon in flavor and output.

Would hope the higher quality drivers and possibly crossover will make a difference, but guess most of the money goes on the veneers. My Opticons are in "dark walnut" and look fine to my eyes. £1200 vs £3000 so £200 VAT vs £500 to Gordon Osbourne.
thats funny my optcons are also in dark walnut *wink*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
well this is the end of this long.................................................................long post its bin an up and down ride some good helpful comments given and i thank you all and not so could comments and thank you for them too as they were the truth i now a very happy man my hifi sounds amazing and i am rocking all over the place thank you *i-m_so_happy*

What did you get? (Sorry, no time to read v. long thread.)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
well this is the end of this long.................................................................long post its bin an up and down ride some good helpful comments given and i thank you all and not so could comments and thank you for them too as they were the truth i now a very happy man my hifi sounds amazing and i am rocking all over the place thank you *i-m_so_happy*

What did you get? (Sorry, no time to read v. long thread.)

He didn't, one of his speakers was out of phase. This was a bit of a rollercoaster thread!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts