marantz pm8005 upgrade to abrahamsen 2up

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
well this is the end of this long.................................................................long post its bin an up and down ride some good helpful comments given and i thank you all and not so good comments and thank you for them too as they were the truth i now a very happy man my hifi sounds amazing and i am rocking all over the place thank you *i-m_so_happy*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
well this is the end of this long.................................................................long post its bin an up and down ride some good helpful comments given and i thank you all and not so good comments and thank you for them too as they were the truth i now a very happy man my hifi sounds amazing and i am rocking all over the place thank you *i-m_so_happy*

Hurray! That's a great twist in your story! Enjoy!*drinks*

Vladimir said:
To the Hegel P30/H30 combo. It's good to have 1,100Wpc coming from a 270,000uF power supply. *crazy*

Hi Vladimir

I believe the H30's spec. for capacitance totals at 320,000uF
regular_smile.gif
, fed from two 1kv transformers (in a stacked configuration) with 240 amps of current
shades_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Vladimir said:
To the Hegel P30/H30 combo. It's good to have 1,100Wpc coming from a 270,000uF power supply. *crazy*

?

Hi Vladimir

I believe the H30's spec. for capacitance totals at 320,000uF  , fed from two 1kv transformers (in a stacked configuration) with 240 amps of current?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Not enough lol

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
i just brought the abrahamsen 2up amp so thank you to colin for your good advise look forwards in getting it on thursday will let people know what i think of it when it gets here *i-m_so_happy*

Good man !

You know it makes sense *biggrin*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Electro said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
i just brought the abrahamsen 2up amp so thank you to colin for your good advise look forwards in getting it on thursday will let people know what i think of it when it gets here *i-m_so_happy*

Good man !

well there plenty of power there for my needs without buying a power amp

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Electro said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Good man !

well there plenty of power there for my needs without buying a power amp 

Welcome from the vikings

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
You'll be getting grief, all this talk of amps from a far off mysterious land. Have you heard one? You would not belive the simularities of the sound and you know that bass! Whilst looking for reviews on the Abrahamsen I scaned some Scandanavian Mags, they have some fantastic looking products.

Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Vladimir said:
To the Hegel P30/H30 combo. It's good to have 1,100Wpc coming from a 270,000uF power supply. *crazy*

Hi Vladimir

I believe the H30's spec. for capacitance totals at 320,000uF , fed from two 1kv transformers (in a stacked configuration) with 240 amps of current

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Not enough lol

Hi Andrew

Even with the H30 capable of nearly doubling its power all the down to 1 ohm (over 8000w) *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
Any news Ozzie? Thoughts?
i am getting know the amp and getting used to it first before i post my comments about this amp but i will say its a lot better then the marantz but i still will be keeping the marantz as i like it so will keeping it for backup *i-m_so_happy*

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
philpot1001 said:
i am getting know the amp and getting used to it first before i post my comments about this amp but i will say its a lot better then the marantz but i still will be keeping the marantz as i like it so will keeping it for backup *i-m_so_happy*

If it is as good as other ppl say it is i am coming over to you for a listening session. Hope you have good assam tea in stock.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
philpot1001 said:

If it is as good as other ppl say it is i am coming over to you for a listening session. Hope you have good assam tea in stock.
yes i have loads of tea

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Tea! What's wrong with beer or a good glass of red wine? Glad to see you are enjoying the amp and holding back until you are comfatable and ready to tell all. It takes time to give a informative useful and considered appraisal.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Right ok had 2 days with this lovely amp of mine the abrahamsen 2up I got it Thursday morning it came well packed and I got it safely without any issues . Bulld quality is amazing with the 2up it's well made nothing plastic on this amp it's all metal construction with 2 brass nobs for volume + input selection , led display in a light blue easy to read display , remote control is very 1970s feel to it all metal finish the bonus was that it works the controls of the marantz CD player which was a bonus for me as I do not have to use 2 remotes only the one . It's a very heavy amp 16kg the back of the amp you have your normal connections for CD player options are balanced inputs XLR or for phono's RCA you can use unbalanced which for me at this time is Aux input useing phono's the rest of the inputs are DVD input not sure why that's on there and some others that I can not think off . Speaker binding post are made out of gold very high quality there are 2 only for the L+R channels there is an input for home cinema I am not sure if this are pre -outs or not ?

Sound quality is amazing over the marantz and not saying that the marantz was rubbish or it did a bad job because it's a lovely amp which I will be keeping . The abrahamsen was worth getting I did take a little bit of a risk on buying this amp without demoing first which is important to do so kind of went on gut feeling which did payoff for me The soundstage is very open a lot more then the marantz the sound is very clean and warm not clinical which I hate . you can pickup detail on a songs which I have not picked up before and I no the songs in side out . Guitar stings being plucked , symbols crashes were you can hear the after affects of the crash on the symbols this was the kind of level of detail I was looking for fine detail which even though the marantz is good it could not match that kind of detail . Music separation amazing you hear the instruments separately they are not all blended together like they are with the marantz vocals and instruments have separation with the abrahamsen . Bass is well controlled , fast deep when it needs to be it's like you getting 3 kinds of bass heavy bass , light bass , vocalists bass but separate when the song calls for anyone one this kinds of basses or all 3 but controlled . I found that the treble end on my speakers are more open high sounding like the singer is 6ft but used to be 5ft singer with the marantz

Pros

Good bulld quality , very clean and natural sound of instruments , great instrument separation , very detailed , great sound stage , warm sounding , a sound that is not tiring remote control works the functions of the marantz CD player

Cons

No phono stage , no tone controls , you can not bi wire if you wanted too as there are only 1 set of speaker posts , if your useing phono's for the CD player then your input choice is Aux , DVD , tuner inputs so you will have this on the display even though your useing cd , no co- axe , optical inputs unless you have a CD player with balanced inputs then you can use the proper input for the CD player then the display will read cd

Was it worth buying yes well worth £899 was it a side ways move no way the abrahamsen amp is in a different class from the marantz and I class it as a good and proper upgrade and recommend one to anyone who's thinking of buying one

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Good review, cheers for sharing. I'm keen to hear how the Abe compares to the superb k3, which has all the characteristics you mention for the abrahmsen.

I see the lack of phono stage actually a big pro, not a con. Why pay money for something that I do not want?

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Right ok had 2 days with this lovely amp of mine the abrahamsen 2up I got it Thursday morning it came well packed and I got it safely without any issues . Bulld quality is amazing with the 2up it's well made nothing plastic on this amp it's all metal construction with 2 brass nobs for volume + input selection , led display in a light blue easy to read display , remote control is very 1970s feel to it all metal finish the bonus was that it works the controls of the marantz CD player which was a bonus for me as I do not have to use 2 remotes only the one . It's a very heavy amp 16kg the back of the amp you have your normal connections for CD player options are balanced inputs XLR or for phono's RCA you can use unbalanced which for me at this time is Aux input useing phono's the rest of the inputs are DVD input not sure why that's on there and some others that I can not think off . Speaker binding post are made out of gold very high quality there are 2 only for the L+R channels there is an input for home cinema I am not sure if this are pre -outs or not ?

Sound quality is amazing over the marantz and not saying that the marantz was rubbish or it did a bad job because it's a lovely amp which I will be keeping . The abrahamsen was worth getting I did take a little bit of a risk on buying this amp without demoing first which is important to do so kind of went on gut feeling which did payoff for me The soundstage is very open a lot more then the marantz the sound is very clean and warm not clinical which I hate . you can pickup detail on a songs which I have not picked up before and I no the songs in side out . Guitar stings being plucked , symbols crashes were you can hear the after affects of the crash on the symbols this was the kind of level of detail I was looking for fine detail which even though the marantz is good it could not match that kind of detail . Music separation amazing you hear the instruments separately they are not all blended together like they are with the marantz vocals and instruments have separation with the abrahamsen . Bass is well controlled , fast deep when it needs to be it's like you getting 3 kinds of bass heavy bass , light bass , vocalists bass but separate when the song calls for anyone one this kinds of basses or all 3 but controlled . I found that the treble end on my speakers are more open high sounding like the singer is 6ft but used to be 5ft singer with the marantz

Pros

Good bulld quality , very clean and natural sound of instruments , great instrument separation , very detailed , great sound stage , warm sounding , a sound that is not tiring remote control works the functions of the marantz CD player

Cons

No phono stage , no tone controls , you can not bi wire if you wanted too as there are only 1 set of speaker posts , if your useing phono's for the CD player then your input choice is Aux , DVD , tuner inputs so you will have this on the display even though your useing cd , no co- axe , optical inputs unless you have a CD player with balanced inputs then you can use the proper input for the CD player then the display will read cd

Was it worth buying yes well worth £899 was it a side ways move no way the abrahamsen amp is in a different class from the marantz and I class it as a good and proper upgrade and recommend one to anyone who's thinking of buying one

Well done, enjoy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts