Question Marantz PM6006 or Denon PMA800NE?

Marchetto

Jan 3, 2020
Visit site
Hello, everybody.

I'm from Italy.

I would like to replace my old amplifier from the eighties (a JVC A-S7, almost "dead" by now) with a new generation one.

It should match my old pair of Bowers and Wilkins DM 303 speakers (although in the near future I would like to upgrade to floor-standing speakers).

I am oriented towards a budget amplifier for my music room (3 meters x 5 meters) and I was thinking about a Marantz PM6006 or a Denon PMA800NE (in Italy, where I live, they have the same price, around Euro 390,00).

I listen mostly rock, soul and pop (and also some jazz and classical music): my sources are a Yamaha CD Player, a turntable for my old vinyls, and recently a LG blue-ray player for live concerts and reissued album in blue-ray format (although not for home theater 5.1, just 2.1: I've recently purchased a new Qled Samsung Tv).
Also keep in mind that in the next future I would also like to add a streamer.

So which one would you choose between Marantz PM6006 and Denon PMA800NE? And which other amps would you suggest? (staying within my budget: max Euro 400)

Thank you in advance for your advices.

gasolin

Last edited:

Marchetto

Jan 3, 2020
Visit site
Why not the Denon PMA600NE it's much closer to the price of a Marantz PM6006 (Atleast in Denmark where i live)

Marantz PM6006 295 euros
Denon PMA600NE 401 euros
Denon PMA800NE 495 euros

You didn't see a wrong price 100 euro difference is alot (Denmark vs Italy for the Denon PMA800NE)

Review,impressions of both denon amps

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEfIcBFfSQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwkhAlRwdKs

Thank you for the advice.

Yes, Denon PMA 600NE seems a very good amp too but in Italy its price is about Euro 350,00 (only 40 Euro cheaper than MarantzPM6006 and Denon PMA800NE: in Italy they cost about 390 Euros).

So, considering the above, I'd prefer spending 390 Euros to get the Denon PMA800NE (also in terms of power: 85W vs 70W of Denon PMA600NE)

gasolin

Power doesn't matter 70 vs 85 watt in 4 ohm is about 1 db in difference

The difference you will only get (when you have both amps to compare to each other and play with the same speakers) when you play max power and how often do you do that? Even at max power 1 db won't make a huge enough difference to what you should buy, it would be the sound quality you would choose the on not power.

The Marantz PM6006 only has 60 watt in 4 ohm so that is not a good amp since the Denon PMA800NE has 85 watt in 4 ohm?

B&W DM303 are 8 ohm speaker so you will only have 2x45 watt and 2x50 watt in 8 ohm, that is so little it won't make a noticeable difference, even 1 -2 db with more power won't be a difference compare to 2x45/50 watt in 8 ohm,if you buy 4 ohm speakers.

B&W DM303 Specs

Forget about wattage, go for sound quality.

Last edited:

Marchetto

Jan 3, 2020
Visit site
Power doesn't matter 70 vs 85 watt in 4 ohm is about 1 db in difference

The difference you will only get (when you have both amps to compare to each other and play with the same speakers) when you play max power and how often do you do that? Even at max power 1 db won't make a huge enough difference to what you should buy, it would be the sound quality you would choose the on not power.

The Marantz PM6006 only has 60 watt in 4 ohm so that is not a good amp since the Denon PMA800NE has 85 watt in 4 ohm?

B&W DM303 are 8 ohm speaker so you will only have 2x45 watt and 2x50 watt in 8 ohm, that is so little it won't make a noticeable difference, even 1 -2 db with more power won't be a difference compare to 2x45/50 watt in 8 ohm,if you buy 4 ohm speakers.

B&W DM303 Specs

Forget about wattage, go for sound quality.

Many thanks for your detailed analysis and advice.

In the end, considering, as you say, only "sound quality", and putting aside the different prices and wattage, what would you suggest, comparing Denon PMA600NE, MarantzPM6006 and Denon PMA800NE? Please, could you give me your order of preference?

Thanks again.

insider9

Can you demo any of these amps? It really is down to personal taste. I've only heard the Marantz which I didn't like. Incidentally Gasolin owns it and loves it so his preference would probably be Marantz. But the point is you may not like any of them.

To give you an example. I was looking to change my car not long ago. I wanted to replace my Honda Civic. I've test driven many similarly sized cars and driving pleasure was my top priority. Vast majority of them were highly reviewed 1-series BMW, VW Golf, Audi A3, etc. I really didn't like any of them until I've driven Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Alfas have a poor reputation to reliability but I still would've got one if it wasn't for the fact I've got a company car at present.

When buying hifi demo is a must as it's your enjoyment, not ours.

Reactions: Marchetto

gasolin

I haven't heard the Denons, i could do it later today if i deside to go to there nearest town where they have them. They don't have the speakers i have but they have Dali and B&W

Looked at the denon spec's the 800 has one more optical input, can be used with a mc cartridge but i don't think any would use it, most low budget MC cartridges cost half the price of the amp, they often want something more superior.

The denon 600 has subwoofer out and bluetooth which the 800 doesn't have and only has a phonostage for MM

The 600 only has 1 set of binding post, the 800 has 2 which makes it easier to connect 2 pair of speaker or bi wiring

Marantz PM6006 which is is the cheapest in my country by more than 100 euros, has about the same specs and inputs as the denon 600 but has 2 set of binding posts and for the hifi enthusiasts,nerds you can change the power cable to a more beefer one, like the very reasonable priced SUPRA LoRad (3 x 2.5 mm²) power mains,cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marchetto

gasolin

If you want to buy the Marantz PM6006 mabye you could buy it from the danish store for 295 euros, i think shipping is only free within in denmark but shouldn't cost anything near 100 euros (atm they only have it in stock in silver)

gasolin

Not much difference in the 2 denon amps the more or less sounds the same mabye the 600 has a better bass but nothing major.

Speakers i listen to was dali option 6

Have no idea how a Marantz PM6006 sounds with floorstand speakers

Marchetto

Jan 3, 2020
Visit site
Can you demo any of these amps? It really is down to personal taste. I've only heard the Marantz which I didn't like. Incidentally Gasolin owns it and loves it so his preference would probably be Marantz. But the point is you may not like any of them.

To give you an example. I was looking to change my car not long ago. I wanted to replace my Honda Civic. I've test driven many similarly sized cars and driving pleasure was my top priority. Vast majority of them were highly reviewed 1-series BMW, VW Golf, Audi A3, etc. I really didn't like any of them until I've driven Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Alfas have a poor reputation to reliability but I still would've got one if it wasn't for the fact I've got a company car at present.

When buying hifi demo is a must as it's your enjoyment, not ours.

Yes, you're totally right, but, unfortunately, I can't demo any of these amps (I live in a smalltown, very far from the nearest Hi-Fi retailers).

Thanks again.

Marchetto

Jan 3, 2020
Visit site
If you want to buy the Marantz PM6006 mabye you could buy it from the danish store for 295 euros, i think shipping is only free within in denmark but shouldn't cost anything near 100 euros (atm they only have it in stock in silver)

Many thanks.

I've also found this interesting bargain on Amazon Germany for Marantz PM6006 (silver), currently for Euro 335,00=

Do you think I should get it? The item is described as Marantz PM6006/N1B (what N1B stands for? There's no such abbreviation on Amazon Italy for the same item)

Samd

Many thanks.

I've also found this interesting bargain on Amazon Germany for Marantz PM6006 (silver), currently for Euro 335,00=

Do you think I should get it? The item is described as Marantz PM6006/N1B (what N1B stands for? There's no such abbreviation on Amazon Italy for the same item)
N1B on Amazon UK - see below

Marchetto

Jan 3, 2020
Visit site
Thank you, everybody, for your precious advices.

In the end, all things considered, I've opted for Denon PAM800, which will be soon delivered by Amazon.

Soon I will let you know my impressions (hoping to have made a good choice).

Thanks again

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Thank you, everybody, for your precious advices.

In the end, all things considered, I've opted for Denon PAM800, which will be soon delivered by Amazon.

Soon I will let you know my impressions (hoping to have made a good choice).

Thanks again

how have you found it - I just bought this amp and started a thread because I was initially disappointed with what I heard as a quite dry and clinical delivery from the amp but after 3 days testing it out I am now growing rather fond of the sound signature of this Denon - how bout you?

Marchetto

Jan 3, 2020
Visit site
how have you found it - I just bought this amp and started a thread because I was initially disappointed with what I heard as a quite dry and clinical delivery from the amp but after 3 days testing it out I am now growing rather fond of the sound signature of this Denon - how bout you?

I'm mostly listening to it from Cd and Blu Ray sources (with the latest remastered version of The Beatles' Abbey Road-Super De Luxe Boxset).

Round sound, bass in great evidence and in any case all very clear and dynamic: in short, a very good impression.

Even at at just 1/5 volume of the knob, it pushes a lot.

Even with vinyl (although I have an old turntable with an Ortofon Concorde 10 cartridge) excellent impression: of course, as it is understandable, here the volume needs to be raised a little more.

Finally a small note: I don't like the activation of the "source direct" function. I have the impression that it gives a more muffled sound (but this depends on personal tastes).

Very efficient remote control (maybe a little big: it has the keypad to control also a Denon Cd Player).

In conclusion, I am very satisfied with the purchase.

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
I'm mostly listening to it from Cd and Blu Ray sources (with the latest remastered version of The Beatles' Abbey Road-Super De Luxe Boxset).

Round sound, bass in great evidence and in any case all very clear and dynamic: in short, a very good impression.

Even with vinyl (although I have an old turntable with an Ortofon Concorde 10 cartridge) excellent impression: of course, as it is understandable, here the volume needs to be raised a little more.

Finally a small note: I don't like the activation of the "source direct" function. I have the impression that it gives a more muffled sound (but this depends on personal tastes).

Very efficient remote control (maybe a little big: it has the keypad to control also a Denon Cd Player).

In conclusion, I am very satisfied with the purchase.
Grazie. May I also ask - with mine, the top right button on the remote marked “amp power” does not consistently work - it is supposed to put the amp in standby or wake it up out of standby - does that button on the remote always work for you ?

D

Deleted member 108165

Don't push that volume much past 1/2 otherwise you'll probably start clipping and the amp will go into protection, (or fry your speakers),... it has a pants volume pot - my Marantz is exactly the same. These volume pots give the illusion of a very powerful amp, but the usable sweep is probably only 30% max.

Needing to tweak the volume when an LP is played is normal.

Both of the above problems are due to the input sensitivity of the amp... it's too low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dom

Marchetto

Jan 3, 2020
Visit site
Grazie. May I also ask - with mine, the top right button on the remote marked “amp power” does not consistently work - it is supposed to put the amp in standby or wake it up out of standby - does that button on the remote always work for you ?

Yes, the button "amp power" on the remote works perfectly on my amp: as you wrote, it puts the amp in stand by or wakes it up from standby. (obviously, the main on/off power button on the amp must be switched on "On")

gasolin

Don't push that volume much past 1/2 otherwise you'll probably start clipping and the amp will go into protection, (or fry your speakers),... it has a pants volume pot - my Marantz is exactly the same. These volume pots give the illusion of a very powerful amp, but the usable sweep is probably only 30% max.

Needing to tweak the volume when an LP is played is normal.

Both of the above problems are due to the input sensitivity of the amp... it's too low.

No problems i just adjust gain from my pc,cdplayer,casette deck so they match my turntable, than music is loud at 12 o clock and very loud at 3 o'clock

LittleDarkGuy

Dec 9, 2020
Visit site
Why not the Denon PMA600NE it's much closer to the price of a Marantz PM6006 (Atleast in Denmark where i live)

Marantz PM6006 295 euros
Denon PMA600NE 401 euros
Denon PMA800NE 495 euros

You didn't see a wrong price 100 euro difference is alot (Denmark vs Italy for the Denon PMA800NE)

Review,impressions of both denon amps

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEfIcBFfSQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwkhAlRwdKs

Hey, can you send the link for the Danish store that sells the Marantz PM6006 by 295€? Its price in Portugal is much higher!

LittleDarkGuy

Dec 9, 2020
Visit site
I definitely can not, it's more than 11 month ago i made that reply, 11 month ago we didn't had covid 19 and prices have changed alot in 11 month

Thank you for the reply! But can we send me the information of Danish stores regardless? I'm comparing different stores in Europe and prices vary a lot actually.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts