Marantz CD6003, CD6000 and Cambridge Audio DacMagic - DAC quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I’ve been thinking of adding a Cambridge Audio DacMagic to my hifi. I’ve currently got:

Marantz CD6000 OSE cd player
NAD 350 amplifier
Denon 260L tuner
Tannoy Revolution R2
QED Silver Anniversary bi wire
Various Ixos / Ecosse interconnects

I enjoy the warm, tight, beautiful sound my hifi produces. But thought that if I could significantly improve the quality for an outlay of £100 - £200 it might be worth it. Especially given how much people are banging on about external DACs. Please note I only use this hifi for CDs / radio tuner, I don’t stream MP3s from a PC and have no desire to do so.

Now I’ve done some research into the DAC chips that are present in the following:

Marantz CD6000 OSE 2 x SM5872BS
Marantz CD6003 1 x Cirrus Logic CS4398
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 2 x Wolfson 8740

My research shows that the Cirrus Logic CS4398 in the Marantz CD6003 is twice as expensive a chip than the Wolfson 8740 (thus one would reason a better quality DAC), though the Cambridge Audio DacMagic does have 2 x Wolfson 8740.

So now I’m thinking, why not just buy the Marantz CD6003 as at £200, it’s the same price as the Cambridge Audio DacMagic and it has a better quality DAC.

I know I’m putting this simplistically as I’m sure there are many other benefits to having a separate DAC to an onboard one. I’d be interested to hear anyone’s opinion regarding any of the above or the below questions:

1. Has anyone has paired the DacMagic with either Marantz CD player and has it made much difference?

2. Does anyone think there is a significant difference between the CD6000 OSE and the CD6003.

3. Am I being simplistic in my DAC / CD player analysis in terms of looking at the quality of the DAC chip itself and monetary value? Is there a lot more to dedicated DACs than just the chip?

4. Does anyone know if my reasoning is correct – is buying the Marantz CD6003 with its better quality DAC the same or better than getting the Cambridge Audio DacMagic?

5. Do the two Wolfson 8740 DACs equal in sound to the Cirrus Logic CS4398 (the CS4398 costs twice as much as a single 8740).

6. Does anyone think the DacMagic will make much difference to my setup or am I better of spending more money on a better CD player or a better DAC?

Thanks for all the replies in advance!

Miggyboys

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I have the CD6003 and it is a truly exceptional spinner for anything around the money.

Immensely detailed, great soundstage, and brings everything together just beautifully to my ears. Although I've not done a side by side comparison, all opinion I've read seems to say that the DacMagic would be no more than a sideways step at best and if my only source was CD I know which I would choose. The new CD6004 should be out in a couple of months, although no specs or prices available as yet I would think it would be around the £300+ mark at least.

I would suggest the next level up to consider would be the Rega Apollo. Currently at £475, but there may be more discounting when it's replacement arrives I believe sometime later this year.

A

Anonymous

I am with sizers on this. My points would be.... If you just plan to use CD as source, there is no need for a separate DAC. In my opinion the DAC magic is on a par with the Marantz for sound quality when partnered with lossless files. Just because one DAC chip is more expensive than another doesn't necessarily mean it will improve the sound. The Marantz would be an excellent buy. There are other Marantz CD player options. Such as the KI models In short, I think buy the best CD player you can afford. If possible, audition before buying. cheers

azorro

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I had similar doubts last year when decided to upgrade my CD player (I had a Marantz CD 6000 ose). I ended buying a new player (Arcam CD17) and I'm totally satisfied with the sound improvment. I realized that I do not really need a separate DAC (no plans of using my computer as music source). The external DAC solution would require an additional box (I do not have much space) plus a digital interconnect (good ones are not cheap). I preferred the most easy solution to satisfy my needs without running after a flexibility I do not need. So my suggestion is to look after a good CD player.

I hope it helps.

A

Anonymous

3) yes. The DAC chip is only responsible for interpreting the digital data stream, it relies on an external network of (mainly) capacitors to generate the analog signal. This network has a huge impact on sound character, and differs between vendors. Obviously, the quality of the analog components also affects the quality of the dac.

6) I don't think the Dacmagic will make much of a difference in your setup in terms of quality. You may get a different character, I'm not familiar with the 6000. Likewise, I would suspect the difference between the 6000 and the 6003 to be noticable, but minor.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Dac chips like alot of components have a price that corresponds to how mass produced they are. Expect the wolfson to be cheap. They are in everything (Ok not quite everything but alot of things).

If another company tried to create something similar, but small scale it may end up in the market for 10x as much. It would be marketed as more elite product though which makes it sound better (marketting wise).

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
the specification of the DAC chip alone cannot be used as a comparison. The DAC magic uses a particular design with two converters (dual differential). With it being a stand alone device concentrating on one task it is likely to be better thought out and contain better components in the DAC circuitry than the CD player which has the transport and internal power supplies etc also, plus a much larger case which will inevitably drive the cost up.

I cannot comment on the sound of the CD player but can say with some experience that the DAC magic is not shown up by a Naim CD5i with regards to detail etc (although cannot compete in musicality ;-) ). It also has the option of using different filtering techniquies so that you can change its sound slightly. I will be comparing it to a Rega DAC all next week which I will no doubt comment on.

The only person who can decide is you after listening to both. I find the DAC magic to be very convenient in that it effectively serves as a hub in my system for a multitude of sources, aswell as giving life to sources such as my PC and Bluray player which has online services aswell as making live bluray concerts like a live event.

let us know how yu get on.

Regards

T

the record spot

I'd forget the DACMagic at the drop of a hat. Tried it for a fortnight last year, great connectivity, soundwise - dire. Cold, clinical and not what I'd expected. Swapped it for the Spitfire II later and it delivers on a grand scale. I bought it at a special introductory offer price (£150) but for £250 it's okay value. Spend £100 more though and you get the apparently brilliant Emotiva XDA-1 and I hear that's in a different league.

A

Anonymous

Wow, what a response! Thanks everyone - some very good points about the price of DACs (mass market v small production), other components like capacitors etc, and recommendations for higher quality CD players / DACs.

I was leaning towards the fact that the DacMagic wouldn't give me much more (unless I was streaming music from a PC etc) so I think I'll look at getting a better CD player.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

T

the record spot

miggyboys said:
Wow, what a response! Thanks everyone - some very good points about the price of DACs (mass market v small production), other components like capacitors etc, and recommendations for higher quality CD players / DACs.

I was leaning towards the fact that the DacMagic wouldn't give me much more (unless I was streaming music from a PC etc) so I think I'll look at getting a better CD player.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

The Marantz transport will be fine so you could just add a better DAC and put the budget towards that.

A

Anonymous

Dougal1331

Glad you found the points helpful - just out of interest, did you ever mod your CD6000OSE? I know that there was a recall years ago by Marantz for them to change a component that would allow you to play CD-Rs (it played CD-RWs with no issues). At the same time, there were lots of blogs on the net of users changing the capacitors, superclock and other components to improve the sound quality. Cheaper option and very effective. I've never did it but did comtemplate it!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/317283-marantz-cd6000ose-superclock2-upgrade.html

A

Anonymous

Dougal1331

Glad you found the points helpful - just out of interest, did you ever mod your CD6000OSE? I know that there was a recall years ago by Marantz for them to change a component that would allow you to play CD-Rs (it played CD-RWs with no issues). At the same time, there were lots of blogs on the net of users changing the capacitors, superclock and other components to improve the sound quality. Cheaper option and very effective. I've never did it but did comtemplate it!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/317283-marantz-cd6000ose-superclock2-upgrade.html

A

Anonymous

Dougal1331

A

Anonymous

Dougal1331

A

Anonymous

Dougal1331

BikerKev1963

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I have found using the Marantz CD6000 K.I.Signature along with a Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 along with its own X-PSU along with a Musical Fidelity X-10V3 Valve unit turns my CD6000 K.I.Signature into something really special.

gasolin

BikerKev1963 said:
I have found using the Marantz CD6000 K.I.Signature along with a Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 along with its own X-PSU along with a Musical Fidelity X-10V3 Valve unit turns my CD6000 K.I.Signature into something really special.

Why do you reply on such an old thread more then 4 years old

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts