Marantz cd6002 vs SA7001KI

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have the CD6002 with the PM7001 KI amp and am considering getting rid of my current cd player and getting the SA 7001KI instead. Does anyone have any opinions on whether this will be a worthwile upgrade and what differences I can expect to notice?

I have a few classical sacds so will be interested to try these on the player to see the difference in sound compared to the ordinary CD layer.

A

Anonymous

I believe record spot loves his SA7001Ki...maybe he can give you an opinion :)

T

the record spot

Indeed he can!

Simply, the 7001 KI is a bit of a star. It looks rather similar to the 6002, albeit a bit chunkier and taller, but with a similar fascia layout.

Build quality is superb, it uses a Sony transport and is equipped with CD-text which may or may not be relevant to you (no big deal for me and only a few of my discs, mostly SACD, have it).

At its' original RRP (circa £600) it was a well priced beast, now, you can likely get one on a good deal if you can find them. Not many knocking around and used models seem to hold their value well.

Sonically, it's not a depth plundering beast, but what there is is a highly articulate and nicely present bass. Midrange and treble are simply superb for the money and the level of detail retrieval is impressive. Instruments are accurately picked out, there is a good soundstage and it works with a wide range of music.

It does spectacularly well with electronic music and orchestral, also piano and vocal is just sublime. Hard rockers might want to look elsewhere if visceral thrills light your fire, however, as a long standing Motorhead and Rush fan, I am happy with what comes out the speakers at home.

My one caveat is what to partner it with; too lean and you will be disappointed if that's not your thing. This is a very neutral CD player and communicates what's on the disc accurately. Great if you have a good recording, not so hot if you don't like honesty. Also the differences between CD and SACD aren't always too obvious; I think this is down to the player's skill in handling both formats well rather than treating one as the poor relation.

I had (and still do) a Marantz PM 6010-KI amp but increasingly found the sound a little too lean and analytical. I like the latter a lot, but the overall effect became sterile and hard to enjoy. The speakers (Mission 752) are excellent partners, so I tinkered and switched amps around, having another three upstairs in the spare room.

The Arcam Alpha 5 partnered it well, gave more depth and was anything but warm and fuzzy, the Technics SU-V6 (circa early 80s model) was also very good, but the midrange lacked something that I can't quite define here. As a last throw of the dice, I went with the amp in my signature line below and that was the best one of the amps I had to hand. It's still plugged in now, 23 years old and doing the business, although an overhaul and new capacitors beckon! This player will work with much better and more expensive amplification though and I think would probably thrive on it.

As for the CD player, you get superb build inside and out, the flexibility of SACD as well as CD and a sonic character that does what it does extremely well. If you can get this one on a deal (and I'm assuming you're in the £600 bracket or under), then seek out an audition. If you crave detail, wrapped up in a very musical cloak, this could well be what you're looking for.

A

Anonymous

Hi there, can't comment on the cd6002, but as a long time KI Signature fan I can wholeheartedly support the SA7001 KI. I bought mine last year at an incredibly cheap price, to replace my Marantz CD6000 SE KI Signature which I had worn out (which in turn had replaced a CD63II KI Signature - can you see the trend?!) The improvement in soundstage was amazing - as well as the separation - I agree with Record Spot too, in that this is a very neutral player. My amp is an original 13yr old Audiolab 8000S (that considerably outlived the CD63 it was orignally purchased with!) and the speakers are Accoustic Energy Auegis Evo 3 floorstanders.

My most played genre is downtempo electronica/chillout, and this set up is perfect for that, as well as classics, not that I play them much.

I'm actually thinking about replacing the amp, so if anyone has any suggestions...maybe an ebay 3020, hey? ;-)

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for that very detailed review. I look forward to trying it out.

A

Anonymous

Change of plan. The dealer I was going to try it with no longer has any stock of the KI version. Does anyone know how much of a downgrade the stock 7001 is from the KI and whether it is better than the cd6002?

T

the record spot

From memory some reviewers didn't think there was too much of a difference, others felt the difference was worth the extra outlay. As I picked mine up for £300 which was less than the stock 7001 at the time, I reckoned I could did well!

There are a few reviews on the web, mostly from Australian and New Zealand magazines, which are all very positive and go into more detail (obviously). I guess it's a case of Google again...!

A

Anonymous

Guess it depends on the price - more importantly, your ears - but think I would be cautious spending £300ish(?) on what is now a discontinued CD player, though if there is a heavy discount, and it compares well to other kit at that price point then why not? If it is selling around £300 then I'd want to hear it against the Cambridge Audio 650C & NAD C545BEE (both £350 rrp) The current Marantz CD5003 is 5 star reviewed at £200, so I would suggest that as a budget alternative listen. If I'm honest, though, I doubt any of these will show a leap in quality over your existing player - buy a load of CDs instead!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts