Question Hopefully the final amp.

podknocker

I'm considering getting rid of all my kit and decluttering and then buying a really good quality streaming amp. I don't need a phono stage, but I know they all come with one. I don't need a CD player now and will never need Dirac correction, so the top end NADs are going to have stuff I don't need. I'm looking at the Leema Quasar, at an eye watering £3125 but wondered if anyone has one and what it sounds like etc. I also need to know how easy this amp is to control, using a Windows based app, not just from a phone. I might need to upgrade my speakers, from the lowly QA3030i, with matching stands. IF I do buy the Leema, what's the best stand mount speaker to go with the amp? I must have screw in stands and refuse to use blu tac, or have the speakers just sat, waiting for gravity to ruin my purchase. Thanks.

Reactions: TrendyProjectors
I'm considering getting rid of all my kit and decluttering and then buying a really good quality streaming amp. I don't need a phono stage, but I know they all come with one. I don't need a CD player now and will never need Dirac correction, so the top end NADs are going to have stuff I don't need. I'm looking at the Leema Quasar, at an eye watering £3125 but wondered if anyone has one and what it sounds like etc. I also need to know how easy this amp is to control, using a Windows based app, not just from a phone. I might need to upgrade my speakers, from the lowly QA3030i, with matching stands. IF I do buy the Leema, what's the best stand mount speaker to go with the amp? I must have screw in stands and refuse to use blu tac, or have the speakers just sat, waiting for gravity to ruin my purchase. Thanks.

Not heard the Quasar but the reviews I have read have stated how impressive it sounds. Depends, I suppose, on the speakers.

Reactions: TrendyProjectors

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Roksan Attessa is an alternative, at half the price. According to stereophile it has better low-end drive than the NAD M10 and is overall the better sounding amp so long as Dirac doesn't offer any benefits in the system, which is your case.

matthewpianist

I think the Attessa Streaming is a great suggestion - beautifully built, typical Roksan grunt and what I think is about the best streaming platform in the business, BluOS. It will get the best out of the Q3030i, but will easily stand a speaker upgrade. I've heard Roksan sound very good with MA (and they're owned by MA funnily enough), but your need for screw-to-stand considerably limits your speaker choices. Could you accommodate floorstanders?

podknocker

Not heard the Quasar but the reviews I have read have stated how impressive it sounds. Depends, I suppose, on the speakers.

Cheers. Nice review and love the look. I'm not into frills and nonsense. I read the AV forums review and it has sort of convinced me. I love the dual mono design, with the speaker posts as far away from each other as possible. Loads of clean current and grip, hopefully. I'm going to struggle to audition one, but I know Richer Sounds sell this amp, so I'm going to pop into my local Richer Sounds and see if I can listen to one, with some stand mounts. I want a quick, clean and detailed sound. My QA speakers and my Audiolab Omnia sound soft, safe, flat and I know I'm missing stuff, because my Sennheiser HD600 cans sound much better, although without the real weight and soundstaging, of course. I'm not sure if I can control the amp via Windows O/S. Also will need some very clean and clinical speakers. I'm done with warm sounding kit. It's great for extended listening, but I do need some top end detail and pizzazz!

podknocker

I think the Attessa Streaming is a great suggestion - beautifully built, typical Roksan grunt and what I think is about the best streaming platform in the business, BluOS. It will get the best out of the Q3030i, but will easily stand a speaker upgrade. I've heard Roksan sound very good with MA (and they're owned by MA funnily enough), but your need for screw-to-stand considerably limits your speaker choices. Could you accommodate floorstanders?
I can do floorstanders, but small ones, without that all too common upper bass warmth and lift. I had Wharfedale Diamond 230 a few years ago and I honestly hated their sound.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I can do floorstanders, but small ones, without that all too common upper bass warmth and lift. I had Wharfedale Diamond 230 a few years ago and I honestly hated their sound.
Do you have room for a pair of Triangle Esprit Gaia EZ? Specifically recommended because of the tweeter and Triangle being conservative with boosting the bass in their speakers.

Reactions: matthewpianist
Cheers. Nice review and love the look. I'm not into frills and nonsense. I read the AV forums review and it has sort of convinced me. I love the dual mono design, with the speaker posts as far away from each other as possible. Loads of clean current and grip, hopefully. I'm going to struggle to audition one, but I know Richer Sounds sell this amp, so I'm going to pop into my local Richer Sounds and see if I can listen to one, with some stand mounts. I want a quick, clean and detailed sound. My QA speakers and my Audiolab Omnia sound soft, safe, flat and I know I'm missing stuff, because my Sennheiser HD600 cans sound much better, although without the real weight and soundstaging, of course. I'm not sure if I can control the amp via Windows O/S. Also will need some very clean and clinical speakers. I'm done with warm sounding kit. It's great for extended listening, but I do need some top end detail and pizzazz!
Well, I love my Leema with Dali Rubicons and they work well with Monitor Audio. A old poster on here Voodoodoctor used to have the Tucana with MA Platinum 100, which have bolt on stands. The only snag is they're not cheap.

For compact floorstanders Totem Arros should fit into your needs.

Reactions: podknocker
Well, I love my Leema with Dali Rubicons and they work well with Monitor Audio. A old poster on here Voodoodoctor used to have the Tucana with MA Platinum 100, which have bolt on stands. The only snag is they're not cheap.

Other choices of speakers that demoed that'll work well with a Leema: Amphion Argon 3S, I only had the Argon 1 on demo but very impressive. Also Neat Acoustics work beautifully, but they aren't bolt down.

To my theory, Q Acoustics should well with Leema, the Qs need a open, punchy amp. Step forward Leema.

podknocker

I'm with you on the former, couldn't stand the latter.
How did you end up with the opposite of the sound you want?
No demo?
Taste changed since buying?
Hi Gray. My Omnia and QA speakers sound OK, but a bit lifeless and squidgey? I was on a budget and I got a great trade in with the Omnia. It cost me £800 with the brand new, unopened Arcam kit I bought years ago. I'm so glad I never opened them. I bought them just before streamers arrived and I didn't realise the future would be amps with DACs and streaming built in. My Canton sound base can go and some other stuff. I want to have a great streamer, on my cabinet, using my phone for Spotify et al. My QA speakers might sound tighter and faster, with the Leema. The Audiolab Omnia is so dull sounding and it annoys me. I will try the QAs for a bit, if I get a Leema, but I know better speakers will make the Leema worth the investment.

Reactions: Gray
Hi Gray. My Omnia and QA speakers sound OK, but a bit lifeless and squidgey? I was on a budget and I got a great trade in with the Omnia. It cost me £800 with the brand new, unopened Arcam kit I bought years ago. I'm so glad I never opened them. I bought them just before streamers arrived and I didn't realise the future would be amps with DACs and streaming built in. My Canton sound base can go and some other stuff. I want to have a great streamer, on my cabinet, using my phone for Spotify et al. My QA speakers might sound tighter and faster, with the Leema. The Audiolab Omnia is so dull sounding and it annoys me. I will try the QAs for a bit, if I get a Leema, but I know better speakers will make the Leema worth the investment.
If the Quasar is anything like their older stuff (no reason why it shouldn't) they have a agile, detailed presentation. At the same time doesn't sound sterile or cold - very natural.

The only sure way of knowing is demo it yourself.

Reactions: Gray and podknocker

podknocker

I like the description of the Leema sound.
Let us know Pod 👍
There's very little on the market these days, to reveal the incredible quality production and detail, of hi res recordings. Where's the treble gone and the 'bite' to the sound? I remember when PRAT was the most important thing and this has fallen out of favour, for a much more laid back and warmer sound. I hate that. I will update, if and when I drop the £3k for the Leema. The Omnia can go and so can all my 250 CDs. Not need them now.

Reactions: Gray

podknocker

Do you have room for a pair of Triangle Esprit Gaia EZ? Specifically recommended because of the tweeter and Triangle being conservative with boosting the bass in their speakers.
The Triangle Esprit Gaia EZ are far too big (and ugly) for my living room. I'm trying to avoid bass these days. Honking and droning and all that warmth, are off the menu.

podknocker

I don't know how much I need to spend on speakers, with a £3k Leema, but the MA Platinum 100 are £4500 and far too expensive for me. A pair of quick, clean, snappy and detailed speakers, for around £1000 would be great, if I do think the QA3030i can't cope with the Leema. PRAT and detail are the main thing for me. I don't want the bass to overwhelm the sound, but underpin the sound and not dominate. I listen to a lot of genres, from Eli & Fur, to Depeche Mode and lots of electronica. I also listen to Bach and my tastes are quite eclectic.

I don't know how much I need to spend on speakers, with a £3k Leema, but the MA Platinum 100 are £4500 and far too expensive for me. A pair of quick, clean, snappy and detailed speakers, for around £1000 would be great, if I do think the QA3030i can't cope with the Leema. PRAT and detail are the main thing for me. I don't want the bass to overwhelm the sound, but underpin the sound and not dominate. I listen to a lot of genres, from Eli & Fur, to Depeche Mode and lots of electronica. I also listen to Bach and my tastes are quite eclectic.
Only mentioned the PL100 because I don't know of any other standmount that's bolted down.

Given my Rubicons sound great with my Leema, the Oberon 5 should also sound the biz.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts