Question Hopefully the final amp.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpianist

Think QA floorstanders are big. Think the OP said the Qs he owns sounds dull, the suggestions I made tonally little more immediate sounding.

The 5040s are more compact than the 3050i. The OP also mentions he likes things about his Qs, and the 5000 range are supposed to have more of the sparkle of the Concept series. They may or may not suit, but worth a listen because most Qs play well above their price.

The 5040s are more compact than the 3050i. The OP also mentions he likes things about his Qs, and the 5000 range are supposed to have more of the sparkle of the Concept series. They may or may not suit, but worth a listen because most Qs play well above their price.
Agreed about their qualities. The Concepts were on my demo list last year but to supply issues, RS didn't even have a display model.

Also wouldn't dismiss ATC SCM7.

podknocker

I do appreciate all this advice, as speaker choice is bewildering, even while on a budget.

I can't listen to loads of examples, but need some sort of general area to look at.

The QA 5040 might have the same sound as my 3030i AND have more bass. Yuk!

I refuse to buy more lifeless, safe. flat and dull speakers, even if they might get a better kick from a Leema.

Quick, clean and detailed compact floorstanders, with PRaT and a sparkly top end.

It's not like I'm being picky! ;)

matthewpianist

I do appreciate all this advice, as speaker choice is bewildering, even while on a budget.

I can't listen to loads of examples, but need some sort of general area to look at.

The QA 5040 might have the same sound as my 3030i AND have more bass. Yuk!

I refuse to buy more lifeless, safe. flat and dull speakers, even if they are going to get a better kick from a Leema.

Quick, clean and detailed compact floorstanders, with PRaT and a sparkly top end.

It's not like I'm being picky! ;)

Thanks for affirming your requirements. The 5040 may surprise you (and me), but otherwise you need to be looking in the direction @plastic penguin is pointing. There aren't many (if any) budget floorstanders that will give you the PRaT and sparkly top end you are looking for.

Reactions: podknocker

matthewpianist

Will keeping the Omnia and tripling the speaker budget be a solution to PRaT and sparkly top end requirements?

You have an Audiolab 6000A so maybe you can comment on that.

If the Omnia is anything like the 6000A it will lean towards the neutral, detailed end of the spectrum with just a hint of warmth. The 6000A doesn't sound remotely dull through the 3050i, but with the little JBL L52s the top end sparkles. Both speakers have more PRaT and sparkle with the Audiolab than they do with the Rotel A11 Tribute I also have.

I think the only way to know is for the OP to do some auditioning; it does seem a good idea to consider this alternative path as well as the Leema-based one.

Reactions: podknocker

podknocker

I have heard expensive Spendors and similar and the bass is far better controlled and less obvious, or boomy, than say a Wharfedale Diamond 230 or similar.

It must be extensive bracing and better control of cabinet colouration, which you can't get in a cheaper floor stander.

This is partly the reason I lean towards stand mounts, where there is less wooden 'real estate' to excite and give the honking and droning I have suffered before.

I must admit, the QA3030i has no obvious cabinet noise and does sound inert and clean, but they are a bit warm sounding.

I'm listening to Radio 4 a bit more and there is no chestiness, nasality or exaggerated upper bass drone etc.

I don't hate the sound I have, but feel I'm missing out on treble, speed and detail. Not much really!

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

WayneKerr

If you have placement issues then sealed-box design has worked wonders for me and I've never looked back. Hell, I've even got mine on wall brackets and the proximity to the wall enhances the bass by just the right amount. Never boomy or overpowering, just right, and definitely no need for a sub.

I used to have bass-boom issues with ported speakers but no more... no more ported speakers for me :)

Gray

I had these Harbeths on home demo back in 2020. I personally didn't notice any HF roll off, and this is a real bugbear of mine. The only time I've experienced that, oddly, was with Spendor SA-1 and A5.
Perhaps because I'd previously owned Spendor speakers, I stupidly bought the S3/5R without first hearing them. Rolled off treble, no good for me, promptly rejected.

Can't say I noticed any HF rolloff when I heard Doug's P3s - and I would have noticed, since he let me play all my own music.
Maybe I'm I'm just too used to bass rolloff from my own small speakers, but I didn't find that to be an issue with the Harbeths either - though, no doubt many floorstander / sub owners would beg to differ.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Perhaps because I'd previously owned Spendor speakers, I stupidly bought the S3/5R without first hearing them. Rolled off treble, no good for me, promptly rejected.

Can't say I noticed any HF rolloff when I heard Doug's P3s - and I would have noticed, since he let me play all my own music.
Maybe I'm I'm just too used to bass rolloff from my own small speakers, but I didn't find that to be an issue with the Harbeths either - though, no doubt many floorstander / sub owners would beg to differ.
Zackley. I never experience any Harbeth roll off with any of the frequencies. Nicely balanced with a crisp presentation.

Seem to recall WHFI used to recommend older Cyrus gear with Spendors.

Reactions: Gray

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
After 2 years of steady use and never played loudly, my QA3030i are starting to open up and the bass is becoming deeper.

The thing is, I play at low levels and I think there's just too much bass. If the Leema has a leaner sound, then it might be OK, but if I upgrade the speakers, I'm not going to want this much bass.

The QAs dig down to around 45Hz and it's quite a bass forward sound, especially with the chillout stuff I play.

My next speakers might need to be smaller, with either less bass, or more treble, at the levels I listen to now. I can't believe the bass from the QAs.

A friend came round and asked me where the sub was and told him the QAs are subs, with some mid and treble thrown in. They do sound bigger than they look.

The bass is dominant and I think compact floor standers, with smaller bass drivers might sound better.

I'm beginning to think the QA3020i might have been more suitable for my room, although the bass might still have been an issue, but at a higher frequency.

You can spend a fortune on kit, but it's the interface between the speaker and the volume of air, the speaker has to play with, that's the difficult thing to get right.

I think the shape and size of the room, along with the furnishings, are the most important factor and perhaps I'll never get the sound I want.

I will try to audition the Leema Quasar with some really good, small speakers, as I think bass is always going to be an issue for me.

A pair of Harbeth P3ESR screwed into matching stands, for £1000 would be perfect! Dream on.

I assume you have tried the obvious fixes, moving them away from the rear wall and/or corners, and/or plugging their backsides? I had some Monitor Audio Bronze bookshelf speakers and the bass was loud and boomy.

You might want to consider Kef LS50 Meta. They have a neutral sound. They will need to be at least 30cm from a rear wall. Plenty of alternatives available of course, to make life complex. Used metal stands are easy to get for about £30.

podknocker

I assume you have tried the obvious fixes, moving them away from the rear wall and/or corners, and/or plugging their backsides? I had some Monitor Audio Bronze bookshelf speakers and the bass was loud and boomy.

You might want to consider Kef LS50 Meta. They have a neutral sound. They will need to be at least 30cm from a rear wall. Plenty of alternatives available of course, to make life complex. Used metal stands are easy to get for about £30.
The speakers can't be moved further out, but I will try the foam bungs! I forgot about those.

Reactions: Noddy

TRENDING THREADS