Question Hopefully the final amp.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

podknocker

Another option would be to move further up the Q Acoustics tree, to one of the Concept models - 300 or 500. You may or may not like the bolt-on stands for the 300s.
You are right, I hate the top end QAs. Far too fussy and elaborate stands. If my QA3030i had less bass and were a bit brighter, then I would love them. They are on the end of an Audiolab Omnia and I think it's this, giving me the lush, warm and soft sound I hate.

Last edited:

podknocker

My PMC 20.21 fit that description as well as any speaker could.
IF (big if) I were to buy new
speakers.....somebody will be getting them for under £1000. Light oak, boxed as new.
Keep them safe Gray. I will be looking for a deal like that, but not until early next year. If you still have them and want to part with them, then we'll have a chat! You veterans have so much kit. I don't know how you afford all this stuff.

Reactions: Gray
You are right, I hate the top end QAs. Far too fussy and elaborate stands. If my QA3030i had less bass and were a bit brighter, then I would love them. They are on the end of an Audiolab Omnia and I think it's this, giving me the lush, warm and soft Class A/B sound. The Leema is Class D and I think it might be more neutral and 'leaner'.
Just go and listen to the darn Quasar. It should be more and some.... than you expected.

Like Exposure, Creek, Leema goes under the radar. Leema are a real hidden gem.

Reactions: aversaurus
There's very little on the market these days, to reveal the incredible quality production and detail, of hi res recordings. Where's the treble gone and the 'bite' to the sound? I remember when PRAT was the most important thing and this has fallen out of favour, for a much more laid back and warmer sound. I hate that. I will update, if and when I drop the £3k for the Leema. The Omnia can go and so can all my 250 CDs. Not need them now.
I've mentioned PRaT many times - Leema are toe-tappers, with a good dollop of realism.

podknocker

NAIM and Linn both still have good levels of PRaT and you could easily do a lot worse than the Linn Majik DSM.
I wish I could afford one! The thought of buying the Leema makes me sweat. It's going to be a painful purchase and it will be the last one, if I do decide to buy one. I still need to save a bit and try and get a trade in perhaps, with the Omnia I currently own. £3125 is a lot for me, but if I get one and it performs well and is reliable, then I won't regret it. I don't need CD players now, or any more computers and I will never buy a TV again, so there's nothing else I want to buy. The Leema will be my last tech purchase. It's still going to be a few weeks, at least.

I wish I could afford one! The thought of buying the Leema makes me sweat. It's going to be a painful purchase and it will be the last one, if I do decide to buy one. I still need to save a bit and try and get a trade in perhaps, with the Omnia I currently own. £3125 is a lot for me, but if I get one and it performs well and is reliable, then I won't regret it. I don't need CD players now, or any more computers and I will never buy a TV again, so there's nothing else I want to buy. The Leema will be my last tech purchase. It's still going to be a few weeks, at least.
Reliability isn't an issue with Leema. Even if you end up buying something else, dem the Quasar and see if it tugs your rug.

NAIM and Linn both still have good levels of PRaT and you could easily do a lot worse than the Linn Majik DSM.
Never heard any Linn stuff. I was half tempted years ago to look at the Linn Sneaky, which, so I was told by few on here, had a decent not great built-in amplifier.

Having read reviews of Linn streamers they tend to be on the smooth side. Not sure if they'll give the OP the snap, crackle and pop presentation. I could be wrong though.

podknocker

If I get a Leema, would the KEF LS50 meta be a good match? I forgot about these. I do like the screw in stands and the Uni Q drivers. Some nice colours also! £3125 for the Leema and £1600 for the KEFs and the stands. OMG.

If I get a Leema, would the KEF LS50 meta be a good match? I forgot about these. I do like the screw in stands and the Uni Q drivers. Some nice colours also! £3125 for the Leema and £1600 for the KEFs and the stands. OMG.
I demoed the original LS50s a few years ago. Certainly stacked up to the reputation as being very detailed. I wasn't convinced by the looks or overall sound. They were very good but not the musicality of the PMCs I had at the time.

In your situation, I would buy the Quasar and try them with your Q Acoustics first.

Reactions: matthewpianist

podknocker

Try Q Acoustics concept 20 less bass,brighter
I looked at these when they first arrived, but it might be a bit of a sideways move, even if I found a pair. I've been looking at compact floorstanders, but the prices are now crackers. I like the Neat Motive SE2 speakers, but they cost a fortune. The Spendor A4 in cherry are what I'm after, but I won't pay £2850 for these either. The KEF LS50 meta with the stands might be a bit cheaper in 2 years, if they release another model. I do like the Uni Q driver setup. I had a pair of KEF Q35.2 years ago and they sounded great.

Last edited:

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I looked at these when they first arrived, but it might be a bit of a sideways move, even if I found a pair. I've been looking at compact floorstanders, but the prices are now crackers. I like the Neat Motive SE2 speakers, but they cost a fortune. The Spendor A4 in cherry are what I'm after, but I won't pay £2850 for these either. The KEF LS50 meta with the stands might be a bit cheaper in 2 years, if they release another model. I do like the Uni Q driver setup. I had a pair of KEF Q35.2 years ago and they sounded great.
Reading through this thread, and given your stated requirements, I was surprised the LS50 Meta hadn't come up before now. Sounds to me like it would fit your requirements perfectly.
Also feels like a speaker that would have more to give given the quality of the amp you are intending to power it.

podknocker

Have a search on eBay for complete but unsold sales of Neat SE2 speakers. You might be surprised. However, I do wonder if your Omnia would drive them.
Hi there. I don't intend to keep my Omina. It won't drive a speaker like this, but it will drive me nuts, with the soft, bland and dull sound. I might be able to get £1000 trade in, on a Leema, so that will take the sting out of the purchase. I will sell all the stuff I don't use, or want and get the Leema eventually. I might like the QA3030i on the end of the Leema. If not, then it's going to be another 6 months saving for the KEFs. Then I'm done.

Last edited:

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Hi there. I don't intend to keep my Omina. It won't drive a speaker like this, but it will drive me nuts, with the soft, bland and dull sound. I might be able to get £1000 trade in, on a Leema, so that will take the sting out of the purchase. I will sell all the stuff I don't use, or want and get the Leema eventually. I might like the QA3030i on the end of the Leema. If not, then it's going to be another 6 months saving for the KEFs. Then I'm done.
The bass will probably sound a lot better with the QA3030i after you get the Leema and clarity will improve a lot. Leema has some expertise in building high-end DACs, so you'll certainly get an improvement there. I absolutely cannot comment on the brightness factor though.

Reactions: matthewpianist

matthewpianist

Q 3000i series speakers are surprisingly good at scaling up with better electronics, so you may not need to change them.

I've found all the IAG electronics I've had lean towards being a little as you describe the Omnia.

podknocker

IF I get a trade in and buy a Leema Quasar, which compact floorstanders would get the most out of the amp?

I'm asking because I will ask Richer Sounds to get some in, if they can, to allow me to hear a potentially complete system.

Sadly, my budget for speakers would be £1000 so any fancy Spendor/PMC/ATC/ProAc speakers are off the menu.

I'm not having standmounts, unless they can be screwed into stands, providing a secure foundation.

If anyone can suggest £1000 standmounts, including stands, then I will try to audition those.

My QAs are the ideal size, colour and visuals, so anything like this, but better quality, would be on the shortlist.

Does anyone on here own a Leema Quasar and if so, what speakers are at the end of it?

My living room is 4x5m and I don't want loads of honking and droning bass. I want speakers with PRaT and loads of treble detail.

I guess you already know this ;)

IF I get a trade in and buy a Leema Quasar, which compact floorstanders would get the most out of the amp?

I'm asking because I will ask Richer Sounds to get some in, if they can, to allow me to hear a potentially complete system.

Sadly, my budget for speakers would be £1000 so any fancy Spendor/PMC/ATC/ProAc speakers are off the menu.

I'm not having standmounts, unless they can be screwed into stands, providing a secure foundation.

If anyone can suggest £1000 standmounts, including stands, then I will try to audition those.

My QAs are the ideal size, colour and visuals, so anything like this, but better quality, would be on the shortlist.

Does anyone on here own a Leema Quasar and if so, what speakers are at the end of it?

My living room is 4x5m and I don't want loads of honking and droning bass. I want speakers with PRaT and loads of treble detail.

I'll try and help (again).

Neat SX2 I demoed around this time last year. Very impressive with Leema.

There's a pair for sale for £800 from a dealer who offers a 14 days returns. Here a pic I took at Infidelity Hi-fi.

Here's the link:

Totem Arros work well with Leema. They can be picked up used for between £400-600.

Dali Oberon 5 should also sound the dogs. Not actually heard these but if my Rubicons are anything to go by....

Please feel free to ask any questions as I'm the only poor b####r on here that's owned Leema

Attachments

• 20220324_125620.jpg
    20220324_125620.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: podknocker

matthewpianist

Take a look at Q's new 5000 range, which sits between the 3000i models and the Concept range. They're offering a compact floor stander (5040) bang on your budget, but also 5010 and 5020 standpoints at £499 and £599 respectively. Could be just the ticket.

Reactions: podknocker

TRENDING THREADS