Adding CD Transport / Player to setup

Oluain

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Looking for some advice...

I have a Cyrus 8XP d QX amp paired with Spendor A6 speakers.

I usually stream my audio from a home media server or play records but I would like to add a CD source as an additional source.

Given that theCyrus amp already has a high quality DAC I assume I should look at getting a CD Transport rather than a CD Player?
e.g. something like 'Cambridge Audio CXC' instead of 'Marantz CD6007'?

Would the Cambridge Audio CXC be a good option? Are there any more budget transports worth considering?
£500 is the upper end of my budget for this.

Many thanks!

barcpc

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I have the Cambridge CXC for nearly 6 months now, it is just great, no issues, the remote control will end up being a little clumsy since it is the same for the CXN (Streamer), CXC (CD) and CXA (Amplifier) and there will be a lot of buttons you will never user.
Apart from that, great option

Reactions: nopiano
The Audiolab and Cambridge already mentioned are both very popular, and each seems to have pros and cons.

I recently took a left-field approach by buying a Tascam CD-200. It’s cheaper than either of the transports above, is a full player (has its own DAC), and uses a transport mechanism used by the like of ATC and Primare in players retailing around £2-3k. Go figure!

It’s basic looking - it’s more for pros and studios - but it might float your boat. I use mine into my Linn DAC, part of a streamer cum preamp that lists at around £7000.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

Oxfordian

Very happy with my 6000CDT over the last 18 months, it doesn’t do anything fancy it just works.

Reactions: barcpc and Al ears
Looking for some advice...

I have a Cyrus 8XP d QX amp paired with Spendor A6 speakers.

I usually stream my audio from a home media server or play records but I would like to add a CD source as an additional source.

Given that theCyrus amp already has a high quality DAC I assume I should look at getting a CD Transport rather than a CD Player?
e.g. something like 'Cambridge Audio CXC' instead of 'Marantz CD6007'?

Would the Cambridge Audio CXC be a good option? Are there any more budget transports worth considering?
£500 is the upper end of my budget for this.

Many thanks!
Apologise if this seems like a poke in the eye obvious choice. But...

Reactions: Oxfordian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts