Marantz cd-63se/Rega apollo-r - how do they compare sonically

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I try to comment again it wouldnt work a few times. I like my old Marantz cd63se, it has that nice musical midband. Is it an upgrade sonically the rega apollo -r? Cheers Steve.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Stephennic, I own a cd63 KI and it is far better than my Marantz cd5004. Having said that I haven't compared the Apollo-R to the CD63SE, but from what I remember from my demo is that the Apollo-R was a great cd player....maybe its just me but it seems like Rega are trying to voice their cdps after their turntables. Its a smooth listen, not the most dynamic but you can listen to it for hours on end. I think only you can decide if its really worth the outlay, I'm sure any dealer will allow you to take the cd63 for a direct comparison.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Rega Apollo-r seems to have mixed reviews. Stereophile ranks it very highly while some British mags haven't.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. So you have the marantz cd 63Ki how does that compare with the Rega apollo-r. Any one else compared the marantz and the rega apollo-r.

Cheers

Steve.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have owned both, but the KI was over ten years ao, I really couldnt tell you how they sound sonically but I would say that they are both excellent CD players. I have my Apollo R used as a transport into a Rega DAC and to me it is serious listening proposition and I can sit (I do sit!) for hour listening to it along with my Rega RP1.

is it an option that you can get the Marantz cheap?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
stephennic said:
Hi,

How much was the improvement was adding a rega dac to the rega apollo-r sonically.

Cheers

Steve.

Its very hard to put into words or context on the improvement!

but as an example a couple of albums KT Tunstall Eye to the Telescope & Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night just sound so musical & together, they sound different but in a better way if you can understand that! The music just flows with plenty of seperation!

Once you have listened to the DAC & Apollo R together its very hard to go back listening to the Apollo on its own!

stevebrock said:
stephennic said:
Hi,

How much was the improvement was adding a rega dac to the rega apollo-r sonically.

Cheers

Steve.

but as an example a couple of albums KT Tunstall Eye to the Telescope & Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night just sound so musical & together, they sound different but in a better way if you can understand that! The music just flows with plenty of seperation!

Once you have listened to the DAC & Apollo R together its very hard to go back listening to the Apollo on its own!

Or for around £600-£700 you could have the Saturn.

*EDIT* Just seen this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-Saturn-CD-Player-/271113582918?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item3f1fa0f946

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
stephennic said:
Hi,

Cheers

Steve.

Hi,

It sounds like they are made for each other (dac and cd player). I might have to go to a shop and have a listen. I still would love to compare my old marantz with the rega apollo-r

Cheers

Steve

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts