Marantz CD-63 vs Yamaha R-N303 Amp

MossleyBob

Dec 19, 2021
Visit site
I've got an old Marantz CD-63 connected by RCA cables to a Yamaha R-N303D amp. I know that it's not the greatest set-up in the world, but I'm happy with it and it beats streaming. I've been wondering whether I'd benefit from upgrading the CD player to a modern model? Maybe one with a contemporary built-in DAC, or where I can use one of the digital outputs to utilise the DAC in the amp? Maybe even a CD transport? No massive outlay- I've been thinking along the lines of the following;

-Yamaha CD-S303
-Rotel CD11 Tribute
-Denon DCD-600NE
-Audiolab 6000CDT/ Cambridge Audio CXC (priced at the absolute maximum of what I'd be prepared to spend)

I'm not going to be able to physically try any of these, so the question is, would it be worth it, would I notice the difference? In terms of what I'm listening to, I'm having a 'Herbie Hancock' weekend, listening to Man Child and Secrets. Thanks

I've got an old Marantz CD-63 connected by RCA cables to a Yamaha R-N303D amp. I know that it's not the greatest set-up in the world, but I'm happy with it and it beats streaming. I've been wondering whether I'd benefit from upgrading the CD player to a modern model? Maybe one with a contemporary built-in DAC, or where I can use one of the digital outputs to utilise the DAC in the amp? Maybe even a CD transport? No massive outlay- I've been thinking along the lines of the following;

-Yamaha CD-S303
-Rotel CD11 Tribute
-Denon DCD-600NE
-Audiolab 6000CDT/ Cambridge Audio CXC (priced at the absolute maximum of what I'd be prepared to spend)

I'm not going to be able to physically try any of these, so the question is, would it be worth it, would I notice the difference? In terms of what I'm listening to, I'm having a 'Herbie Hancock' weekend, listening to Man Child and Secrets. Thanks
To be honest the CD63 was very highly rated back in the day, especially the 'KI' version.

If you chose the Audiolab or the Cambridge they will sound very different and should be better, but it depends if they'll suit your ears.

Reactions: MossleyBob

MossleyBob

Dec 19, 2021
Visit site
To be honest the CD63 was very highly rated back in the day, especially the 'KI' version.
It's not the KI version, but yes, I was thinking this, so from that perspective, worth enjoying what I already have.

'If you chose the Audiolab or the Cambridge they will sound very different and should be better, but it depends if they'll suit your ears.'

I'm really intrigued by both elements of this- are you able to elaborate? How will they differ? Are they not to everyone's liking?

Thanks

It's not the KI version, but yes, I was thinking this, so from that perspective, worth enjoying what I already have.

'If you chose the Audiolab or the Cambridge they will sound very different and should be better, but it depends if they'll suit your ears.'

I'm really intrigued by both elements of this- are you able to elaborate? How will they differ? Are they not to everyone's liking?

Thanks
You will find the newer models to sound more open and transparent, which on paper sounds good. However, if you are used to a certain presentation, it's hard to quantify without directly comparing yourself.

I had the same with my old £400 Arcam CD73. Purchased it in 2005 and only changed it in 2020 when it gave up. In between time I purchased a £1100 Electrocompaniet player and I just couldn't get on with it, despite it being technically a better all-rounder than the Arcam.

MossleyBob

Dec 19, 2021
Visit site
You will find the newer models to sound more open and transparent, which on paper sounds good. However, if you are used to a certain presentation, it's hard to quantify without directly comparing yourself.

I had the same with my old £400 Arcam CD73. Purchased it in 2005 and only changed it in 2020 when it gave up. In between time I purchased a £1100 Electrocompaniet player and I just couldn't get on with it, despite it being technically a better all-rounder than the Arcam.
Thanks. Do you think the DAC in the amp would do one of these models justice? Are they better suited to higher spec DACs?

Gray

I've got an old Marantz CD-63 connected by RCA cables to a Yamaha R-N303D amp.
The first thing to do is connect its digital output to the amp, to see what you think of it via the Yamaha DAC.

(No need to spend much on the appropriate cable - if it's got coaxial out, you don't even need to buy a cable- use one of your RCAs to test with).

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
The first thing to do is connect its digital output to the amp, to see what you think of it via the Yamaha DAC.

(No need to spend much on the appropriate cable - if it's got coaxial out, you don't even need to buy a cable- use one of your RCAs to test with).
@Gray is spot on here. Try it. I suspect you may find a more modern DAC to be a but more detailed and open. Whether you prefer it or not is another question…

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts