Mains leads and biwiring are total nonsense

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"][quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="jimwall"]ignore the hype, just listen to the music.[/quote]

That's what I've been saying all along!!! Fancy mains leads are just hype!!![/quote]

no, what you've been saying all along is that you are a pompous, arrogant fool that refuses to test your own hypothesis in case you are proven wrong! and you ignored my post (any any other post) that also proves your theory is ridiculous![/quote]

Yeah but do you like chilli?

John Duncan

[quote user="jimwall"][quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="jimwall"]ignore the hype, just listen to the music.[/quote]

That's what I've been saying all along!!! Fancy mains leads are just hype!!![/quote]

Okay, have to give you that one. Less debate, less pointless argument, more listening to music on those marvelous albeit poorly designed hi-fi systems.[/quote]

And more chilli. And Hob Nobs.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Hey, we only need about 10 more replies to make this the third hottest topic ever (behind two competitions, which are miles ahead, as you might expect). So - milk or plain (Chocolate Hob ***-wise)?[/quote]
I know it's not really a useful response, but, err, both please.

A

Anonymous

Why don't we all just run our hifi from batteries? We could set them to charge when not driving the hifi and we'd get a purer current...

A

Anonymous

Not sure, but you'd have to make sure to have them aligned to Earth's magnetic field and wrapped in earthed foil to avoid Eddie's raisins. Or something.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]They both sound the same (under double blind tests).

Now are you going to take this seriously or not - chocolate or milk?[/quote]

I already answered! Both dammit!
Milk for jazz and very, very dark for Shostakovich.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Keith McAlpine"] Let those that claim a difference, especially in mains leads, be tested on it.[/quote]

Sir Bedevere: What makes you think she's a witch?
Peasant 3: Well, she turned me into a newt!
Sir Bedevere: A newt?
Peasant 3: [meekly after a long pause[/i]] ... I got better.
Crowd: [shouts[/i]] Burn her anyway!

[/quote]

very funny.A classic scene.

A

Anonymous

Lord above, and I thought this would be a simple yes or no question. Ah well, I'll put my money where my mouth is (albeit not much money) and buy myself that TACIMA CS929 that igglebert recommended. I can honestly say that I have no preconceptions about this matter, having neither experience nor scientific background, nor will I be unduly disappointed if there isn't a marked improvement in sound, given the extremely modest outlay for the product, so hopefully I should be relatively immune to placebo effects. I'll let you know how I get on...

In the meantime, watch out for my next threads: "CDs sound demonstrably better than vinyl" and "Racks are a waste of money"

:)

John Duncan

[quote user="jimwall"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]They both sound the same (under double blind tests).

Milk for jazz and very, very dark for Shostakovich.[/quote]

Oh come on. Shostakovich = Garibaldi, *surely*?

But I'm liking your work, Jim. Those little pink wafers for Vivaldi, perhaps?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]Andrew,

Please arrange a blind listening test, everyone on this post, those who believe in Jesus, those who believe in Adam Ant, those who are sceptics will be the honest punters used in the research.
Headline article in the April issue
'DO MAINS LEADS MAKE A DIFFERENCE'
We got together a number of our valued readers from the What Hi Fi forum, all with differing opinions and we found...'
It would also be a huge advertisement for the forum in general to all you readers.
[/quote]

can't see that going down too well with the cable manufacturers who want to advertise in what hi fi. I for one dont need to read it and even if they said they don't make a difference, i would not believe it. Compare a chord chorus to a qed qunex 2. Man, anyone that cant hear a DRAMATIC difference genuinely has hearing problems.The difference is huge.It was big between the chorus and a van den hul integration, which is an exoensive cable, never mind a qed. If certain people want to believe cables all sound the same i think we should let them.They should be politely ignored and alllowed to go about their way. if they start ranting lets just ignore them.After all, its their loss.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tractorboy"]"CDs sound demonstrably better than vinyl"
:)
[/quote]
No comment.
No but ohhhhh it hurts
sleep?

A

Anonymous

The day that CDs sound better than vinyl I will coat an LP with chocolate (dark) and biscuit (hob ***) and will proceed to eat it...listening to the Oasis Morning Glory CD...

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]The day that CDs sound better than vinyl I will coat an LP with chocolate (dark) and biscuit (hob ***) and will proceed to eat it...listening to the Oasis Morning Glory CD...[/quote]
Cadburys on standby????

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="jimwall"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]They both sound the same (under double blind tests).

Milk for jazz and very, very dark for Shostakovich.[/quote]

Oh come on. Shostakovich = Garibaldi, *surely*?

But I'm liking your work, Jim. Those little pink wafers for Vivaldi, perhaps?[/quote]

Okay so I thought about the really really dark stuff for Tchaikowsky 6 (Mravinsky/Leningrad) which has seen me through many many dark days. Shostakovitch is more generally dark I suppose, or at least more obviously so - but I suppose there isn't much Tchaikowsky that doesn't have serious under-currants that suggest a really good garibaldi? Perhaps that's raisin enough to just go with the flow (*).

* I know that explaining your own jokes is really rubbish but equating "flow" with "currant" is obtuse by even my standards, and given that I'm already off in a joke about garibaldi biscuits and hi-fi.... Look. Sorry... No really sorry. I'll just go and get some more whiskey and crawl off to nearest corner. Promise not to bother you again until I next feel like it. Please don't call the men in the white coats. Again...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]But I'm liking your work, Jim. Those little pink wafers for Vivaldi, perhaps?[/quote]

I'm reckoning Jaffa Cakes would work quite well when listening to the Who's albums in chronological order...

Full Moon... Half Moon... Total Eclipse

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jimwall"]Actually, you've made plenty of assertions, many if which have been extremely insulting and possibly even libelous[/quote]

Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle. :O)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="jimwall"]Actually, you've made plenty of assertions, many if which have been extremely insulting and possibly even libelous[/quote]Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle. :O)[/quote]

Err, no, I don't think so. But then actually bothering to read other peoples posts never was your strong point was it?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jimwall"]actually bothering to read other peoples posts never was your strong point was it?[/quote]

If you're trying to pick a fight then sorry, I'm really not interested. I'm just a pudding, remember.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts