mains cables

A

Anonymous

no s@*t sherlok 'same as a standard one so wat's the difference then?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Language, Timothy...

The theory is that an audiophile mains cable is better shielded and thus less prone to interference. Some mains products also have some filtering built in to remove noise on the mains caused by other devices connected to the mains supply.

A

Anonymous

ta very much sir ill keep an eye on the language promised

A

Anonymous

I've always used the power cable that has come with my kit and never actually bothered with upgrading these particular cables. However, having recently bought a new Pioneer 427XD plasma and also looking to upgrade my dvd player, currently a Pioneer DV-565A, to the new Denon 1940 i'm looking at giving the mains cables an upgrade to make the most of my new toys...

Now, if i use a mains cable upgrade to the plasma/dvd does this do away with the need to upgrade the distribution block? Although i'm thinking upgrading the block will help all devices that run into it (amp/sky+/etc)?

I'm currently looking at the Merlin Tarantula range of mains cables which is currently discounted on their own site, will i really notice a difference?

Sorry, a lot of questions in there - i guess i'm just looking some reassurance before blowing over £100 on kettle lead upgrades!

thanks, aaron.

A

Anonymous

sorry, in addition to the above - are there other makes/models of mains cables/distribution blocks i should be loking at apart from the Merlin cables? I have also spotted the Sounds Fantastic blocks at similar prices.

I don't really want to spend a huge amount more than what i'm looking at with the Merlin Tarantula cables, unless i need to.

thanks again

A

Anonymous

I got the Merlin Black Widow mains block for £140 (4 way) and I reckon it made a hell of a difference. My CD Player and Amp are connected with Russ Andrews Power Chords and I use a 'silencer'. Its all worth while - in my opinion using dedicated, good quality mains connections really helps to open the sound of your system

A

Anonymous

Well, I wasn't convinced about the effects of mains cables but after installing the Merlin Tarantula mains distributor and some Merlin Tarantula III mains cables my system has definitely improved, not jaw droppingly but it is noticeable. The picture via my Pioneer Plasma has improved, colours are slightly bolder, colours more deep and the already impressive blacks have also been given an added edge to them. The sound overall is slightly tighter with the biggest improvement coming from the Rel sub. It's made me want to watch all my music DVD's again - and after that my fav movies....

this off course could all be in my head, but I've also had a 2nd opinion who agrees - and he got the blind test!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="oldphrt"]
The power of the placebo effect is truly awesome. Of course a replacement mains lead will have no effect no matter what it's made with.

[/quote]

Now that is what happen to me, the Placebo effect was excellent until my mate play a trick on me by replacing the £270 power chord with the cheapy black one without telling me......I listened to music every day for a week without noticed any different!

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="oldphrt"]
ÿThe power of the placebo effect is truly awesome. Of course a replacement mains lead will have no effect no matter what it's made with.

[/quote]

Oldphrt

Speaking personally, I've found that replacing mains cables can have as significant an effect on a system as replacing the speakers, the amplifier or the source.

I'm not about to launch into a detailed explanation of why this should be, because I don't know anything like enough about physics. But I trust my hearing and I can confidently say that a mains lead change can be among the most cost-effective upgrades around.

You should give some a listen. Many retailers are happy to leave a cheque in their safe in exchange for you spending a weekend auditioning a selection.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="oldphrt"]It's like having a discussion with Jehovah's Witnesses. Sigh.[/quote]

I bet you relish Jehovah's Witnesses knocking at your door. I can picture them now, desperate to get out, as you tell them again, with absolute certainty, that they're wrong and you're right.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
A friend of mine got the dreaded ring on the bell one evening not so long ago, opened the door and was confronted by a suited and booted couple. One said 'Good evening, friend, have you met the Lord?'

My friend seized the other chap by the hand and shook it warmly, saying 'No, I haven't, lovely to meet you, welcome back - it's been a long time, hasn't it?'

They left.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="oldphrt"]Are they right?ÿ[/quote]

How the hell should I know? That's what you're on this thread for, isn't it? I'm sure you know they're wrong, oldphrt, and I'm sure you are happy to shout that fact until you're hoarse. I don't quite have the ego to dismiss another's beliefs.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

A friend of mine got the dreaded ring on the bell one evening not so long ago, opened the door and was confronted by a suited and booted couple. One said 'Good evening, friend, have you met the Lord?'

My friend seized the other chap by the hand and shook it warmly, saying 'No, I haven't, lovely to meet you, welcome back - it's been a long time, hasn't it?'

They left.

[/quote]

I really like your style Andrew and always enjoy reading your artical (apart from HI-VI for the obvious reson)

Edited to remove racist reference - AE

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="oldphrt"]

Not quite as fantastic as thinking mains cables and interconnects can affect the sound of a hi-fi though.

[/quote]

Rapier-like...

So does this also extend to speaker cables, equipment racks, CD players, amplifiers, speakers?

After all, all properly designed CD players, amps and speakers should sound exactly the same, surely? They either play the music exactly as recorded, or they don't...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]joke was from BBC2 program[/quote]

Have they put 'Rising Damp' back on BBC2?

A

Anonymous

Drum rollll.this months award for the biggest ego goes to oldphrt,I,m right and everyone else wrong,

Prize?A free set of interconnects of your choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts