Made in Britain? Sadly, not.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm proud to live in one of the last parts of London that has no chain stores on the main shopping street, not even a Starbucks. The closest it gets is Fresh & Wild which opened before it was a chain. Loads of choice, loads of friendly little shopkeepers, loads of community spirit.

JoelSim:I'm proud to live in one of the last parts of London that has no chain stores on the main shopping street, not even a Starbucks. The closest it gets is Fresh & Wild which opened before it was a chain. Loads of choice, loads of friendly little shopkeepers, loads of community spirit.

That's so refreshing to here that, Joel. Where we are the chemist, ironmongers and a few other shops close for lunch. They still only work half day on a Wednesday.

A

Anonymous

For the benefit of "RaveyGraveyDavey" and "JoelSim"

I've edited my post so as not to upset you chaps. Obviously the 'three letter' word and "Choice" are a touchy subject for you.

I'm sorry I trod on a sore point ;-)
Here we go again.......

ALL THINGS in moderation chaps!.

With most things, the right balance will emerge through the fog.

Whether
its Speakers made in Huddersfield or Hong-Kong. Lamb chops from Wales
or New-Zealand. Pork-pies from Melton-Mowbray or Moscow.

You Pays Your Money and You Takes Your Choice.

Choice
is the key. Its the one thing that we need to maintain. [ No matter if
we are talking about Hi-Fi, Chickens, Cheese or Champagne - CHOICE is vital!]

Chickens at "2 for a fiver" from the big supermarkets as
well as the Free-Range chicken Hugh is battling to promote - Both have
a market, both have their place.

Its when the balance is upset and choice removed that we should be worried.

I just cant understand why I'm feeling V hungry all of a sudden!

Serenity

"If you hear anything that I say, then I invite you to take it and
use it as your own. If you resonate with it because that's what we will make it
your own. And if you don't, then throw it away. Don't try to wear a shoe that
pinches."
Gary Zukav

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Where we are the chemist, ironmongers and a few other shops close for lunch. They still only work half day on a Wednesday.

Gosh, how consumer-focussed
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Just like to apologise for my last post. A tad confrontational! Had a rough week, but no excuses. sorry folks

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
JoelSim:I'm proud to live in one of the last parts of London that has no chain stores on the main shopping street, not even a Starbucks. The closest it gets is Fresh & Wild which opened before it was a chain. Loads of choice, loads of friendly little shopkeepers, loads of community spirit.

That's so refreshing to here that, Joel. Where we are the chemist, ironmongers and a few other shops close for lunch. They still only work half day on a Wednesday.

Local shops for local people.......

A

Anonymous

Taksinridgeback:
I recently went out looking for speakers and a new amplifier, and was shocked to find that very little seems to be made in Britain, or indeed Europe, these days. My information may not be accurate, but apparently such great names as KEF, Wharfedale, Mission, Mordaunt Short, Audiolab, and some B&W, Arcam and Quad are no longer made in the UK.
Now, I'm not xenophobic, nor am I arguing about the quality, it's just that I wanted to support the local industry. When I expanded the net to Europe, I found that even the nominally Danish speaker component manufacturers such as peerless and scanspeak are also made offshore.

It's all about choices. Choose British and you'll be supporting what you stand for. Although I don't have much choice when I limit my choice to Dutch based hifi. There are some high end brands here but I suspect most of it is made using as much outsourcing as possible- as this is the most economical way of enterprise.
For as far as funds allow, I buy locally produced goods. In case of food, because it's fresher.

In case of electronics it's more complicated. I have some reservations buying Chinese goods because of the type of government and working conditions I'll be maintaining with my purchases.
Lets face it: we hardly ever consider where things are coming from and what effect our own choices have.

A

Anonymous

>> Nobody has trodden on my sore point.It was a philosophical observation with a hint of humour.

(well it made me laugh) <<

Whhhooooooo! (Knots and Knickers - Toys and Prams -- come to mind!)

Good job they hadnt trod upon your ......

Now THAT would NOT be a laughing mater

;-)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Solomon1:Taksinridgeback:
I recently went out looking for speakers and a new amplifier, and was shocked to find that very little seems to be made in Britain, or indeed Europe, these days. My information may not be accurate, but apparently such great names as KEF, Wharfedale, Mission, Mordaunt Short, Audiolab, and some B&W, Arcam and Quad are no longer made in the UK.

Now, I'm not xenophobic, nor am I arguing about the quality, it's just that I wanted to support the local industry. When I expanded the net to Europe, I found that even the nominally Danish speaker component manufacturers such as peerless and scanspeak are also made offshore.

It's all about choices. Choose British and you'll be supporting what you stand for. Although I don't have much choice when I limit my choice to Dutch based hifi. There are some high end brands here but I suspect most of it is made using as much outsourcing as possible- as this is the most economical way of enterprise.
For as far as funds allow, I buy locally produced goods. In case of food, because it's fresher.

In case of electronics it's more complicated. I have some reservations buying Chinese goods because of the type of government and working conditions I'll be maintaining with my purchases.
Lets face it: we hardly ever consider where things are coming from and what effect our own choices have.

Truth is, an awful lot of 'British' hi-fi is made in the Far East, but
it's none the worse for that. And some of the Chinese factories I've
been round would frankly put ours to shame.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough:Solomon1:Taksinridgeback:

Truth is, an awful lot of 'British' hi-fi is made in the Far East, but
it's none the worse for that. And some of the Chinese factories I've
been round would frankly put ours to shame.

Having been round Longbridge car factory a few years back I can identify with this

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
Having been round Longbridge car factory a few years back I can identify with this

I'll let you know what the Bentley factory is like when I've been round it next week.

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Great thread but the fact remains that if i wanted a Ferrari I'd want it built in Italy. If all these overseas factories are so GREAT why is that the "Valve" fraternity seek out old British made valves rather than the new chinese ones. Why? Because the new ones are sub standard and poorly made, I'd even go as far to say dangerous! The really hilarious thing is while working with a chinese company recently the music enthusiasts all wanted old Macintosh and Linn equipment as they think there own stuff is rubbish! I tend to agree with them.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Lugs:why is that the "Valve" fraternity seek out old British made valves rather than the new chinese ones. Why? Because the new ones are sub standard and poorly made, I'd even go as far to say dangerous!

And your evidence for that statement is?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:If I wanted a Ferrari, the last place I'd want it made is Italy, frankly.

Funny fact: Italian cars' electronics are usually their greatest weakness, even though it was an Italian who invented electricity.

John Duncan

Solomon1:JohnDuncan:If I wanted a Ferrari, the last place I'd want it made is Italy, frankly.

Funny fact: Italian cars' electronics are usually their greatest weakness, even though it was an Italian who invented electricity.

God being Roman, obviously.

Lugs

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I can only confirm from a musicians point of few that the chinese made valves sound wrong. They have the wrong tone. As for the chinese made valve amplifiers being dangerous? Are you kidding me! You have not heard the horror stories? Would you let your children sleep in a house with one of those things in it? Doubt it? And as for the italian made electronics. Have a look at some of the hifi coming out of Italy. Notably the speakers. FANTASTICO! Oh and what company wins F1 year in year out? I have owned an Alfa Romeo once, doubtful ever again though. hahaha

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts