Made in Britain? Sadly, not.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I was under the impression that Leema were from this fair Isle - well scotland at least?

A

Anonymous

well thats close enough! i guess i was partially right then. surprising that no one else had mentioned them as they make some cracking bits of kit are certainly more british than the other brands mentioned so far...

A

Anonymous

As if the majority people of this country give a monkeys about saving the UK pig farmers (how much are those sausages in Waitrose?) when there's a distinct posibility of a recession! Don't get me wrong, supporting local farmers/produce is a noble thing, but what gets my goat, is that more often than not, the ones dishing out this 'moral' advice are the privileged (not necessarily undeserving), snotty, oh so superior upper middle classes!! (They buy the Guardian, prob don't read it and talk about Nigel SLater's new recipes and mock people shopping at Asda. Hilarious.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I agree with both sides of this. Buying locally sourced high quality food, which tends to be better for you, has many parallels with the small, independent hifi business in many ways. There is a premium on both but it is worth paying for, and benefits you in every way.

Having said that I fully understand the vast majority buying chain store and benefiting from economies of scale, albeit at a lowest common denominator level. That's why even companies that cater for the masses like the horrible Tesco, have had great success with Finest, and why many will pay a premium for iPod and the like, while at the same time there is still a large market for 'value' sausages etc. Most people have to compromise somewhere along the line. Mr Fearnley Whittingstall is noble in his free range chicken argument, but it's only going to work if you can afford it. Most people on this forum spend a good proportion of their disposable on music/AV, some can afford good food too, some can even afford good holidays and designer clothes...

I personally try to buy the best I can afford in all spheres, my compromise being I make my slippers last 10 years but I eat well and I have decent sounds - that doesn't mean I can't get a bargain like my £400 CD192, likewise for every 3 tins of beans for a quid, there's some nice stuff from Borough Market too.

Think I've got a bit carried away, that's the problem with listening to James Taylor, you just start rambling.

Ah rambling, last week I was up in the hills, walking and guess what...

I'll get me coat...

PS Roll on the footie season and some balti pies to even things out again

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:Linn.many speaker drivers bought in from abroad, component speaker range made in china or taiwan or similar. I think the cabinets are from denmark.

Most things assembled in Eaglesham/Castlemilk though.

I may be wrong as things may have changed.

T

the record spot

So, will the mag now be adding an Organic Meat section to the Buying Guide? Mebbes aye, mebbes naw, to quote the great Dalglish.
emotion-5.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:So, will the mag now be adding an Organic Meat section to the Buying Guide? Mebbes aye, mebbes naw, to quote the great Dalglish.
emotion-5.gif

Maybe the stars could be changed to carrots? A five carrot TV has a great picture, and if there's an organic stamp on them then it is a best buy!

A

Anonymous

I for one am enjoying this thread.

ALL THINGS in moderation chaps!.

With most things, the right balance will emerge through the fog.

Whether its Speakers made in Huddersfield or Hong-Kong. Lamb chops from Wales or New-Zealand. Pork-pies from Melton-Mowbray or Moscow.

You Pays Your Money and You Takes Your Choice.

Choice is the key. Its the one thing that we need to maintain. [ No matter if we are talking about Hi-Fi, Chickens, Cheese or Sex - CHOICE is vital!]

Chickens at "2 for a fiver" from the big supermarkets as well as the Free-Range chicken Hugh is battling to promote - Both have a market, both have their place.

Its when the balance is upset and choice removed that we should be worried.

I just cant understand why I'm feeling V hungry all of a sudden!

Serenity

"If you hear anything that I say, then I invite you to take it and
use it as your own. If you resonate with it because that's what we will make it
your own. And if you don't, then throw it away. Don't try to wear a shoe that
pinches."
Gary Zukav

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:
Sex - CHOICE is vital!]

You get a choice! You're obviously not married or have only been for a short time!
emotion-5.gif

Or will only be for a very short time

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JAXON5:As if the majority people of this country give a monkeys about saving the UK pig farmers (how much are those sausages in Waitrose?) when there's a distinct posibility of a recession! Don't get me wrong, supporting local farmers/produce is a noble thing, but what gets my goat, is that more often than not, the ones dishing out this 'moral' advice are the privileged (not necessarily undeserving), snotty, oh so superior upper middle classes!! (They buy the Guardian, prob don't read it and talk about Nigel SLater's new recipes and mock people shopping at Asda. Hilarious.

I really used to enjoy Citizen Smith...

I believe it's about striking a balance. We are pretty lucky because we have two really good farms that have well stocked shops, likewise we have the major supermarkets just a short journey away. We tend to use the farms about twice or maybe three time a month, due to budgets etc. When we go to the supermarket we always check the labels and see which country that particular piece of meat originates from.

Although we'd much prefer to use the farms and local butchers and greengrocers all the time, often it's not always practical. There is a parellel when it comes to hi-fi. True, you have no say in where the product was made or assembled, but at least you can stay loyal to your local dealer

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
I believe it's about striking a balance. We are pretty lucky because we have two really good farms that have well stocked shops, likewise we have the major supermarkets just a short journey away. We tend to use the farms about twice or maybe three time a month, due to budgets etc. When we go to the supermarket we always check the labels and see which country that particular piece of meat originates from.

Although we'd much prefer to use the farms and local butchers and greengrocers all the time, often it's not always practical. There is a parellel when it comes to hi-fi. True, you have no say in where the product was made or assembled, but at least you can stay loyal to your local dealer

It's not just about local for hifi, it's about small businesses with small turnovers wherever they are based.

JoelSim:plastic penguin:

It's not just about local for hifi, it's about small businesses with small turnovers wherever they are based.

Absolutely. We live in a small village and the amount of small businesses that have closed is scary. I'd prefer to pay a bit extra and buy from our local shops than go to a big organization. Outside factors sometimes dictates what or where you shop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts