MacMini as a Music Server

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I have a question with regards to the MacMini and using this as a music server.

Once my music is transferred onto the mini, I assume using whatever music system I wish (Jriver, Foobar, iTunes etc) can this then be controlled via an iPad using the relevant remote app? I don't want a screen, keyboard etc.

If I can get one cheap enough I may go for the 2010 version with the built in drive.....if not I will bite the bullet get the latest version and invest in an external drive.

How would I connect the mac to a DAC? Does it have a USB port?

knacker

Dec 19, 2007
Visit site
it does have USB output and optical output via the headphone socket via an adaptor- will work via ipad remote and itunes etc as long as you enable sharing and connect via wifi

If you are not gong to get an external hdd, you will need to make sure you have plenty of room on the HDD for all your files

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
As an option consider getting a powerful NAS like a Synology DS412+

This can then serve multiple networked clients and convert formats on the fly (if needed). It is also powerful enough to transcode video.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
I have a question with regards to the MacMini and using this as a music server.

Once my music is transferred onto the mini, I assume using whatever music system I wish (Jriver, Foobar, iTunes etc) can this then be controlled via an iPad using the relevant remote app? I don't want a screen, keyboard etc.

If I can get one cheap enough I may go for the 2010 version with the built in drive.....if not I will bite the bullet get the latest version and invest in an external drive.

How would I connect the mac to a DAC? Does it have a USB port?

A Mac mini makes for a superb streamer/media center. It can be connected via USB, Firewire, or optical output from the dual purpose headphone socket.

I would recomend using an internal HDD of as large a capacity as possible. The most sought after model is the last one with optical drive fitted, but an external drive can be used if this Mac cannot be found at a reasonable cost.

As a guide, I have around 1100 titles ripped as lossless files, many of which are multi disc sets. These take up around 500GB.

The Mac mini can be setup to be controlled by any wifi enabled idevice, which is nice. :)

iTunes is about the best you'll get for the Mac and when set up, will give you a bitperfect playback (although I wouldn't get too concerned about that yet).

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I use 2009 mac mini as music server, but also with a mouse and keyboard both wireless for managing the library. It is connected to tv as a monitor.

They do have usb and optical out so this will go to a dac or a pre or integrated amp with digital input. Or you can do the airplay thing or stream via aptx bluetooth to compatible devices. Optical is good up to 24/96, usb up to 24/192 but with compatible devices and may need drivers for specific devices. 24/96 usb usually does not need drivers.

If you already have another computer with a cd drive and a network then you do not need the mac mini to have a drive. You can rip cds on the other machine and then import the files to the mac.

A must is a back up though.

5065262545_8492a1d6a7_o.jpg

5065262667_4f7a295c15_o.jpg

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the macmini, I go onto Apples store and configure it to be 2.5Ghz+4GBRam+750GB = £819

DS412+ with 4x2TB will cost £780

The DS is much better value and uses less power (@£60 cheaper a year if you were to leave on all the time).

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
Looking at the macmini, I go onto Apples store and configure it to be 2.5Ghz+4GBRam+750GB = £819

The DS is much better value and uses less power (@£60 cheaper a year if you were to leave on all the time).

You are comparing apples to pears. The Mac mini is a computer, the DS is merely a NAS and is therefore much more limited in its function.

Of course the NAS is cheaper with regards storage, but it doesn't have anywhere near the computational power and therefore functionality, including actually being a bona fide media center. The NAS can merely provide storage, so you will still need another device to play the media and therefore be using more power.

A Mac mini is a premium product and will integrate exceptionally well with other idevices. There simply is no other option in terms of ease of use. Other small form factor Pcs are available, but use either Windows or a Linux flavour, Linux being more customisable, but even these don't set up as effortlessly as Apple devices.

Anyway, if power consumption is really of concern, you wouldn't dream of leaving a device on 24/7, 365 days a year. How pointless. A bit like your rationale, in fact.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
AnotherJoe said:

You are comparing apples to pears. The Mac mini is a computer, the DS is merely a NAS and is therefore much more limited in its function.

Of course the NAS is cheaper with regards storage, but it doesn't have anywhere near the computational power and therefore functionality, including actually being a bona fide media center. The NAS can merely provide storage, so you will still need another device to play the media and therefore be using more power.

A Mac mini is a premium product and will integrate exceptionally well with other idevices. There simply is no other option in terms of ease of use. Other small form factor Pcs are available, but use either Windows or a Linux flavour, Linux being more customisable, but even these don't set up as effortlessly as Apple devices.

Anyway, if power consumption is really of concern, you wouldn't dream of leaving a device on 24/7, 365 days a year. How pointless. A bit like your rationale, in fact.

Exactly what do u think a macmini can do that the DS cant?

I know which one plays better with my kit. Transcoding DLNA server works with my tvs/av/streamers/internet/ radio without any extra bits of kit.

And yes we are comparing Apple to Pears - I'm talking about NAS with builtin full mediaserver capability - and you're talking about pcs.

Even so I guarantee you my setup is more powerful in terms of mediafeatures and can serve way more concurrent clients than a macmini can. A macmini is not a premium mediaserver - its a premium price, but thats about all.

I think you've got your head stuck in the past..

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Can you pop in a CD or DVD for playback?

Can you use it to surf the net?

What about photo editing?

Games?

Does it stream music from the net, for example could you use it to play spotify?

Can you use an office suite with it, create a word doc or spreadsheet, that sort of thing?

I wouldn't know, I don't have one, but the Mac can, happily and that is my point. It's not just a one trick pony.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
But your describing the actions of a pc. As a mediaserver its poor.

It cant serve up blu-ray rips to 2 tvs while 3 other people listen to lossless music or maybe a couple of dvd-rips of their phone/tablets.

It simply doesnt have the power/bandwidth. To call it premium mediaserver is a joke.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes - its called a tv/receiver/phone/tablet/streamer/games console/internet radio. Devices you already have in your house.

And they just play together nicely.

If you are going for a high-end setup, you are best served buying a highend NAS, and letting your other household devices stream from it.

3-4 years back I would have agreed with you perhaps. Now,no.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
So the DS being only £780 (for just a server), also needs more devices and therefore extra cost to get any kind of music played (what the OP wants)?

I'm sure it does what it does, quite well in its own limited way, but like I said, one trick pony (ie serving stuff). If you have the need to serve up a couple of blu-ray movies and several music channels in a house at the same time, then this and an additional array of media players may well be right up your street. It will however cost a lot more in the long run than the Mac.

As a matter of interest, how many components do you have between the DS and the speakers?

Paul.

I do love the mini, but I sold mine years ago. Using tvs as monitors just plain sucks, hated browsing on TV. ATV with Desktop AirPlay in Mountain Lion is way cooler than having a second machine as a dedicated media center. Even passes 7.1 signal to my Amp. I have conceded that I will have to go the Nas route one day, but it's such a boring thing to spend money on! Think I will wait for my Drobo to die.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I don't actually use the TV for browsing, but just use screen share to control the Mac mini for music playback. TV comes on for DVD playback. The Mac running iTunes is also remotely controlled with an iPhone/iPad.

Desktop Airplay is something I'll have to look at, an ATV or AEX was going to be added for a bit of flexibility later. That's the beauty of the options open with Apple products. Something for everyone.

A

Anonymous

Overdose, will all respect in what sense of the word is a "Mac mini a premium product", it isn't, not in the slightest. It's a mediocre pc which is dire as a music player - and no the argument isn't about noise or jitter, it's the quality of the components used. It is built to a price to seve as a PC, pure and simple. It's usage as an audi player stems purely from integration convenience for those where integration is more important than sound quality. Yes, you can add an off-board DAC (I've heard it with several before spending £20K+ on my Linn Akurate system) but unless you already have it, it's pretty pointless as it still won't match a high cd player or indeed, when combined with something like an M1DAC, even something as mundane as the MF's combined pre amp/dac/streamer CLIC.

Unpublished by mods - duplicate

A

Anonymous

Overdose, will all respect in what sense of the word is a "Mac mini a premium product", it isn't, not in the slightest. It's a mediocre pc which is dire as a music player - and no the argument isn't about noise or jitter, it's the quality of the components used. It is built to a price to seve as a PC, pure and simple. It's usage as an audi player stems purely from integration convenience for those where integration is more important than sound quality. Yes, you can add an off-board DAC (I've heard it with several before spending £20K+ on my Linn Akurate system) but unless you already have it, it's pretty pointless as it still won't match a high cd player or indeed, when combined with something like an M1DAC, even something as mundane as the MF's combined pre amp/dac/streamer CLIC.

Paul.

Pitcairn said:
Overdose, will all respect in what sense of the word is a "Mac mini a premium product",

To be fair, Overdose said the Mac Mini is premium product. He never said it was a premium media server, that was Joe's words. It's just a (very) nice little computer. Lets not put words in each others mouths huh?

Paul.

Well I would call it an acceptably speced PC in a very tiny box. The i7 server is ace, find me something smaller without an external PSU. If you had a lemon, that sucks. They are usually pretty bomb proof.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
This is why this site is hacking me off more and more. |(

You ask a viable question about a product and people see it as an excuse to argue about whose is bigger and better! I wasnt asking for a P****ng match about whether a £500 product is better than or can match a £20,000 system asthetically or sonically.

I wasnt asking about whether a NAS is better than a PC or vice versa.

Yet time and time again these threads are taken off course and hijacked by people who seem to think their system is the best or the be all and end all. Some of us dont want to use a NAS or have a roomfull of boxes for one reason or another.

The macmini s more than likely going to sit as an aesthetically pleasing small system, connected only to a DAC and Headphone Amp. Does that mean that this system will be crap and not worthy to play music or in fact listen to music??

For those of you who answered my original query with regards to the MacMini how to connect it to a DAC and whether it can be purely controlled with an iPad.......thankyou.

For those who just see it as an excuse to argue and bicker......Get a Bloody life!!

No wonder we have lost so many knowleadgable individuals of this site!!

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
This is why this site is hacking me off more and more. |(

You ask a viable question about a product and people see it as an excuse to argue about whose is bigger and better! I wasnt asking for a P****ng match about whether a £500 product is better than or can match a £20,000 system asthetically or sonically.

I wasnt asking about whether a NAS is better than a PC or vice versa.

Yet time and time again these threads are taken off course and hijacked by people who seem to think their system is the best or the be all and end all. Some of us dont want to use a NAS or have a roomfull of boxes for one reason or another.

The macmini s more than likely going to sit as an aesthetically pleasing small system, connected only to a DAC and Headphone Amp. Does that mean that this system will be crap and not worthy to play music or in fact listen to music??

For those of you who answered my original query with regards to the MacMini how to connect it to a DAC and whether it can be purely controlled with an iPad.......thankyou.

For those who just see it as an excuse to argue and bicker......Get a Bloody life!!

No wonder we have lost so many knowleadgable individuals of this site!!

Very well put Jason and I couldn't agree with you more.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I shouldn't worry about it too much if I were you. I'd be more concerned though, if I'd spent thousands on a system component that does nothing more than a Mc mini (arguably less).

The Mac will be fine for your purposes and when used in the right context, really is superb. Connection is better via optical rather than USB, as this removes the potential for any ground loop hum.

Software to search out when setting up are, XLD, a ripper and audio file bulk converter, Fluke, an iTunes FLAC importer and obviously iTunes remote. Depending on other Apple devices, you could also setup the Mac mini for screen share and control it this way. As mentioned before, the best models are the ones with the optical drives, as they give you the option of playing physical discs as well as streaming and stored music. Install a large HDD, probably 1TB, but this will be determined by your music collection size.

If you are happy listening to more compressed files (I find 256 VBR indistinguishable from lossless), the you might want to consider an SSD of around 256GB. The 500GB of lossless files that I have, take up around 155GB as 256 Kbps, so would equate to around 2000 albums at a rough guess. Obviously if you want to store high res files and video, then large HDD is the way to go.

TRENDING THREADS