MacMini as a Music Server

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Pitcairn said:
Yes, you can add an off-board DAC (I've heard it with several before spending £20K+ on my Linn Akurate system) but unless you already have it, it's pretty pointless as it still won't match a high cd player or indeed, when combined with something like an M1DAC, even something as mundane as the MF's combined pre amp/dac/streamer CLIC.

As long as you're happy, that's the main thing. Luckily for me, I didn't need to spend £20K+ to get enjoyment from my music. I can now put the remaining £19K+, to other uses, like buying more music, that's what it's about after all, not the kit (something lost on some people).

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
MacMini + DAC £1000

DS212J + Sonus BU250 (Zoneplayer 90, 120 + Controller) £830

Stick an HD in the DS and you're golden.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonos-Bundle-BU250-Zoneplayer-Controller/dp/B002IKK78U

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS212J-Bay-NAS-Enclosure/dp/B005TOXMAW

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. The list above does not include HDDs for the DS for starters and you still can't play physical discs such as CDs or DVDs. You can therefore, not rip music or convert music file formats, you can do no web browsing or any of the other useful things that a computer can do either.

Whilst I would agree that the Sonos is an elegant streaming solution, it only streams music, so in that context, doesn't really seem like good value for money, nor would any other streaming solution for that matter, when compared to the Mac. Of course, other mini ATX form factor Pcs exist, but they won't usually integrate as well with other devices. They can come with Blu-Ray drives though and are generally more powerful in terms of CPU and GPU, so they do have the technological edge, particularly when dealing with video or used for games, but all that really matters is that the device is good enough when it comes to being a music center.

If you really want to pare down the costs, then source a Squeezebox Touch and much cheaper NAS, but that's not what the OP appears to want as a solution.

As I said, apples to pears and this discussion is going round in circles. I think the OP has all the information he needs to make an informed decision from hereon in.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You cant play cds/dvd on a macmini either - where are u going to stick 'em?

You use a netbook/laptop to rip music onto the NAS - the same way you would with the mini.

Add in £65 for a 2TB HD and is still £100 cheaper - and 1.25TB more stoage, and you've got a complete 2 room streaming solution with dedicated touch remote, and good SQ.

A

Anonymous

Overdose said:
Pitcairn said:
Yes, you can add an off-board DAC (I've heard it with several before spending £20K+ on my Linn Akurate system) but unless you already have it, it's pretty pointless as it still won't match a high cd player or indeed, when combined with something like an M1DAC, even something as mundane as the MF's combined pre amp/dac/streamer CLIC.

As long as you're happy, that's the main thing. Luckily for me, I didn't need to spend £20K+ to get enjoyment from my music. I can now put the remaining £19K+, to other uses, like buying more music, that's what it's about after all, not the kit (something lost on some people).

I think youve missed the point entirly. My post was merely to comment upon anyone calling a MAc Mini a premium product. it isn't. Never was, never will be. It is rubbish as a music server regardless of price of a DAC used with it...it is too bady compromised by using average quality components. As I said, the MF CHIC which is infinitely better, with the benefit of a dac and a preamp, and by the time you bundled in a DAC with the MAC MINi, ta similar price. No one who cares about music would ever use a MAc Mini.

As for your comment about spending £19k on music, I have 25,000 cds....

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Agree totally on the 'keep to the question' point.

And with what most people have said about the Mac Mini - it will work well. Although mine (2010 version) is connected via USB to my Arcam rDAC and I don't get any problems with ground loop hum at all; in fact it sounds superb.

One suggestion; try one of the add on programmes like Pure Music, Amarra etc. I use Pure Music as it made quite a difference in my view; certainly worth the cost and it uses iTunes so ou keep the nice interface. Unless things have changed it should be easy to decide for yourself as they usually offer a free trial period that, if you plan things properly, is more than enough to do a proper evaluation.

Enjoy the music, whilst others bicker!

Edit for Pitcairn. Pompous, pretentious....you get the drift (hee hee)

A

Anonymous

I don't think there's anything pompous about being proud of what you own. It wasn't as though he was dismissing all 'average' cost hi-fi equipment as he was prasing the CLiC. Besides, he is entirely correct about the Mini. It is poor as a music source, and really when you think about it, it's bound to be as it's intended as a pc and to do all the things a pc does. In no way can it compete with proper hi-fi equipment. I used to use one with different Audiolab and Arcam DACS, and for what it is, it's ok but you'd be better off buying a decent cd player and you can buy some great ones around the £1000 mark. As a dedicated source plus DAC, the Mini is not cheap, and I really don't understand why anyone would buy one purely for music. But if using a computer for what it is intended to do plus adding a DAC for improved sound, then perfectly logical and reasonable but people need to forget the idea it can compete with proper hi-fi. I replaced my Mini with a Marants Pearl Lite (not hugely expensive and now retails about the same price as a Mini without an external DAC) and NA 7004, and the result is miles better. Really, there is no comparison. And I got both for not much more than a £1000.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Mac mini is and excellent music server, but it's only as good as the DAC you use it with. One thing is certain, it slays your Marantz Pearl Lite when it comes to reading emails.

A

Anonymous

altruistic.lemon said:
Mac mini is and excellent music server, but it's only as good as the DAC you use it with. One thing is certain, it slays your Marantz Pearl Lite when it comes to reading emails.

Which as I said is precisely why it struggles so badly as a music source...My tractor does lots of things my car can't, so should I get rid of my A5 and use my Massey Ferguson 6497 for my daily commute?

A

Anonymous

altruistic.lemon said:
I did logic at Bendigo College of Advanced Education. Something tells me you'd do worse than me, and I was trying to fail. :)

Where????? Perhaps, I was too busy studying Philosophy at Imperial then my Masters at Harvard....

A

Anonymous

Completely failed attempt at patronisation. I guess you struggled with your GCSEs...

A

Anonymous

Apparently it's the 471st best university in the world and 19th best in Australia....

A

Anonymous

Paul, thought it was obvious that it was a reply to Relocated..

A

Anonymous

Unpublished by mods - duplicate

Paul Hobbs said:
It's not obvious what your point or motive is

No motive - merely stating the obvious that a Mac Mini is not a dedicated music source and that no lover of quality hi-fi or music would ever endorse it as such, but then it was never intended as such. As I said, it's perfectly ok as a pc playing music but that's all it is. Ridcilous and fatuous comments about email demand ridiculous responses, hence the tractor reference - cue further responses about which University he studies at - big deal, wasn't impressed, never even heard of the place...

A

Anonymous

Paul Hobbs said:
It's not obvious what your point or motive is

No motive - merely stating the obvious that a Mac Mini is not a dedicated music source and that no lover of quality hi-fi or music would ever endorse it as such, but then it was never intended as such. As I said, it's perfectly ok as a pc playing music but that's all it is. Ridcilous and fatuous comments about email demand ridiculous responses, hence the tractor reference - cue further responses about which University he studies at - big deal, wasn't impressed, never even heard of the place...

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
Back to the OP then.

When you have made a choice, let us know how you get on. Always good to know peoples findings.

I would be interested in your findings/experience too.

I run Apple Lossless controlled via lap and net books via Belkin N600 to Apple TV3 and on via optical to AVI ADM9Ts. I had the lap/netbooks and the Belkin so my music system cost £1150 and it sounds sublime.

:cheers:

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Pitcairn said:
Overdose said:
Pitcairn said:

I think youve missed the point entirly. My post was merely to comment upon anyone calling a MAc Mini a premium product. it isn't. Never was, never will be. It is rubbish as a music server regardless of price of a DAC used with it...it is too bady compromised by using average quality components. As I said, the MF CHIC which is infinitely better, with the benefit of a dac and a preamp, and by the time you bundled in a DAC with the MAC MINi, ta similar price. No one who cares about music would ever use a MAc Mini.

As for your comment about spending £19k on music, I have 25,000 cds....

and a chip on your shoulder the size of Norwich.....

TRENDING THREADS