Please recommend a balanced IEM specifically for the Metal Genres

BasalGanglia

May 22, 2021
Visit site
I currenty have the Hiby R3 Pro Saber but have just been using standard earphones using the 3.5mm jack. I have just ordered the Hiby R3 II, which has a balanced 4.44mm output. So I wanted to buy a decent pair of balanced earphones that can be used in that port.

I mostly listen to various Metal genres such as Thrash, Death, Melodic Death, Industrial, Metal Core etc so looking for somthing punchy. I was currently using Sony earphones with extra bass (Don't know the model number) and whilst they sound nice and punchy, the quality isn't very good. I have tried more expensive standard earphones that had good reviews but found them to lack bass and therefore sound rubbish for the music I listen to.

My mate suggested the Fiio FH9 but that is out of my budget. The FH7s is £300 in the UK so considering those. I could alwatys go sencond hand though. Would these be good of the genre that I listed to. Does anyone have any other (preferably cheaper) options so look into?

Thanks

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
IEM (in ear monitors) is a term usually used for a specific type of earphone used by musicians on stage and are a very different beast to consumer earphones/buds. Also, good one's are expensive and can run into the many thousands of dollars/pounds.
Incidentally, even with high end IEM's, you may be surprised that the bass is not what you may imagine... it's precise and 'there' but it's not the same as you would hear when listening on headphones at home. Stage monitors and even under stage sub monitors are still often used so that the bass can be felt as well as heard.

Not sure why you are set on 'balanced' as your source is pretty budget and I highly doubt that it will make a difference with a relatively budget set of balanced earphones.
I would personally just go with a good set of over the ear headphones like the Sony MDR7506's, I think this will suit your preferred genre of music better.

I currenty have the Hiby R3 Pro Saber but have just been using standard earphones using the 3.5mm jack. I have just ordered the Hiby R3 II, which has a balanced 4.44mm output. So I wanted to buy a decent pair of balanced earphones that can be used in that port.

I mostly listen to various Metal genres such as Thrash, Death, Melodic Death, Industrial, Metal Core etc so looking for somthing punchy. I was currently using Sony earphones with extra bass (Don't know the model number) and whilst they sound nice and punchy, the quality isn't very good. I have tried more expensive standard earphones that had good reviews but found them to lack bass and therefore sound rubbish for the music I listen to.

My mate suggested the Fiio FH9 but that is out of my budget. The FH7s is £300 in the UK so considering those. I could alwatys go sencond hand though. Would these be good of the genre that I listed to. Does anyone have any other (preferably cheaper) options so look into?

Thanks
Most decent IEMs are designed to be neutral.
I don't know any headphone manufacturer that sets out specifically to produce a headphone that is aimed at any one musical genre.
Best of luck with your quest....
I assume your DAP has some sort of graphic equaliser settings to tune it in a certain way?
Just use that

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Don't worry too much about "ballanced" or standard cables. By definition, headphones are single ended! I have used the Klipsch HP-3 headphones with the standard cable and with an after market ballanced cable connected to the iFi iDSD DAC/Amp and the perceivable difference is an increase in volume. Similarly, the A&K Diana earphones connected to the A&K SA700 has a balanced connection but when connected with a single ended cable, there's no perceivable difference in sonic quality.

That said, if the earphones are extremely inefficient, the additional power provided via a (true) ballanced DAC/AMP or DAP will be a benefit.

Go with ear/headphones that sound the best...

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts