MA PL100 owners how far from rear wall do you have your speakers?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i know this has a number of factors - room, sources, amplifier cables ect - just moved mine another 10cms further in to room so about 40cms from rear wall and the difference is huge - treble so more well defined/less cluttered

A

Anonymous

Hi not exactly a direct answer so sorry if this is no use but i emailed MA the other day as i was messing around with the positioning of my GS20's asked for their advice and found them incredibly helpful different information some of which i used but was very useful anyway and replied very quickly answering more of my questions.

A

Anonymous

flairdj:Hi not exactly a direct answer so sorry if this is no use but i emailed MA the other day as i was messing around with the positioning of my GS20's asked for their advice and found them incredibly helpful different information some of which i used but was very useful anyway and replied very quickly answering more of my questions.

Can you add what they said here please? I have mine just over the 8" they recommend and find a nice bass for my GR20s. Useful to hear what they said though please so I can experiment further. I'm about 6' apart with around a 5 degree toe-in and 2.6 metres from the speakers, at tweeter height at head.

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi there was a third email i can't seem to find but ill go in to my account tomorrow and get it as ive obviously deleted it from mail but heres the other two hope this helps.

Are your GS20's part of a stereo pair or an AV system?

If a stereo pair (which I think they are, correct me if I am wrong), start with them approx 6 - 8 ft apart, toed in slightly and about 8 inches from the wall. If it is too bassy, move them away from the wall, if not bassy enough, move them closer. Same for imaging. If you are not getting much stereo imaging (like there is a gap in the middle), either toe them out a wee bit or move them further apart. Another general rule of thumb is you place the speakers the same distance apart as you sit from them. The sound should be as if it is coming from the mid point between the two speakers.

In an AV system, they might need to be closer to the 8 feet apart so there is a transition between centre and left/ right. Toeing them in should negate this when listening to them as a stereo pair.

You should notice an improvement from around the 50 hour mark. If you want to speed up the running in process, you can place them face to face (almost touching) and wire one out of phase. Then you can play them at an average listening level and the will not be that much sound radiating from them. The method of connection doesn't speed up the running in itself, but means you can leave them running with a CD on repeat, when not actually listening to them.

A

Anonymous

Thanks flair, mine are well run in but useful anyway. Look forward to the 3rd email...........

The 'mid point' sound point is all well and good but most modern recordings employ some kind of shift/separation across the left/right stereo range to emphasise a certain sound/instrument or voice.

Matenga - splashing out? what does the manual say for those fine sepakers. Any cast-offs gratefully received.......This might help too:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/monitoraudio_platinum_pl100.htm

neil fd2

May 12, 2008
Visit site
Mine are around 18inches from the rear wall around 7 feet apart & roughly 4 feet from the side walls with slight toe in. That`s what floated my boat. Everyone likes a different sound & room acoustics vary so regardless of manuals & recommendations it`s all about trial & error. It`s your ears who will decide at the end of the day. I never bothered with the manual, just played around until i got what suited me.

A

Anonymous

neil fd2:Mine are around 18inches from the rear wall around 7 feet apart & roughly 4 feet from the side walls with slight toe in. That`s what floated my boat. Everyone likes a different sound & room acoustics vary so regardless of manuals & recommendations it`s all about trial & error. It`s your ears who will decide at the end of the day. I never bothered with the manual, just played around until i got what suited me.

Nice big room to play with then! Mine are either side of the tv so placing any further out looks really daft to be honest. I can't get any wider than 6' and if I switched walls I would get the alcove effect for 1 speaker.................

On another note I bought some Mer car polish and gave then a damn good polish the other day. (MA use this as the final finish before they leave the factory - yes! honest) The black lacquer has come up a treat!

A

Anonymous

ooo i nearly bought these but mine would be 3 inches from the rear wall, mega chuffing on demo but stunning sound none the less, hang a cloth behind them & you,ll see what i mean , bought w/b arcs instead due to port arrangemrnt.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
neil fd2:Mine are around 18inches from the rear wall around 7 feet apart & roughly 4 feet from the side walls with slight toe in. That`s what floated my boat. Everyone likes a different sound & room acoustics vary so regardless of manuals & recommendations it`s all about trial & error. It`s your ears who will decide at the end of the day. I never bothered with the manual, just played around until i got what suited me.

mine are pretty much the same as this - about 16inch, 6.5 feet apart and 3.5 feet from side walls

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts