Speakers For Close wall Use

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I had big problems with room resonances etc which I could not easily fix. I was recommended to block the ports and place the speakers really close to the back wall. It has been a big success, my problem was boomy bass but that is now tight and controlled. Not saying that it works every time, cannot vouch for that, but is a cheap test before you invest in more speakers.

xram

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I just got the KEF Q100s, which are front-ported and supposedly not fussy with placement, because they had to go on an actual bookshelf. They're around your budget if you can find an open-box pair as I did (accessories4less), and although I am new to hifi and my opinion isn't worth much at all, I'm pleased with them.

Roksan Fan

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I ended up buying a immaculate pair of Spendor S3/5R2 off a well known auction site - I have a little more room than I originally thought, the Monitor Audio's sounded awful near the wall with bungs in or out - The Spendor's sound amazing without reservation, the setup now sounds better than I could have hoped. How so much sound that's neutral comes out of so small boxes is a constant source of bewilderment.

The lack of deep bass does not bother me but may be an issue with some but the lack of a port keeps the bass there is tight & with a total lack of any boom which I've always find annoying. Pleased with huge bells on - The more I play them the more I like them. I got a decent price for my Monitor Audio’s & also the stands which were too big for the Spendor’s :)

Roksan Fan

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
The Monitor Audio's I was referring to were the RX2's I already owned which were fine in the other house with a fair amount of space around them but IMO they were unsuitable in the smaller lounge I have now & sounded dreadful (again to me) close to a wall.

The wall behind the speakers have to be is stud & drywall which I thought unsuitable for placing speakers on or really close to such as the MS wall mount type which is why the idea was dismissed some time ago. I understand some may dislike greatly the small Spendors but I really like them & are the perfect solution for me though probably not for others?

In the OP the solution I was looking for was a temporary fix & I suppose still is as my other half has many, many other tasks for me to do & funds to be spent on before cash can be diverted to musical interests.

RX2 is not suitable for close wall use, as mentioned in various forums over the years. Here are 2 examples:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1287721003

https://www.avforums.com/threads/monitor-audio-bx2-to-rx2-worth-the-upgrade.1787201/

In general, rear ported speakers need ample room behind them, and bungs may improve things but not completely eliminate the issue.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It makes little or no difference whether the reflex port is at the front or the back.

The same 'resonance' that makes some speakers 'boom' when too close to corners will still be there whichever way the port is pointing.

A badly designed system will have the port 'chuffing' at loud levels and if it faces the rear then that is less audible, but a well sorted reflex enclosure shouldn't do that anyway.

Roksan Fan

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
bigboss said:
RX2 is not suitable for close wall use, as mentioned in various forums over the years. Here are 2 examples:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1287721003

https://www.avforums.com/threads/monitor-audio-bx2-to-rx2-worth-the-upgr...

In general, rear ported speakers need ample room behind them, and bungs may improve things but not completely eliminate the issue.

With respect did you actually read the original post I made? The whole reason of the post in the beginning was an acknowledgment that for a certainty the RX's would not work close to the wall in the new house & was looking for a speaker that would work reasonably well fairly close to a rear wall & I had some good replies & alternatives before I moved house.

The RX's needed for me around 40cm minimal from rear wall & (even with home made bass traps) well away from the alcoves in my old house & I knew they would sound over bassed/boomy where I live now, close to a wall, I simply tried them out of interest at my new house. To be honest I'm not really a fan of ported speakers & never have been & wasn’t ever overly happy with the RX’s & would have changed them at some point anyway. it's a certainty that if I change the Spendors which after using them is now unlikely it will be for a pair of infinite baffle, & the post which was for a temporary inexpensive fix has turned into a nice sound I’m really happy with - The End. :)

Roksan Fan

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
With respect, I know what you wrote. Your latter post simply said "Monitor Audios were rubbish" which was generalising the brand. So had to clarify that.

I never said 'Monitor Audio's Are Rubbish'

And it's obvious you did not take what was said in context, & unlikely you looked at the thread properly. A Honda Fireblade does not work well in a ploughed field nor does a bicycle, a tractor is not well suited for motorway travel, that don't mean either are rubbish but suited to different tasks - I've used MA speakers for some years & the RX's are fine if you have plenty of space which I used to have, I don't now.

Own up to your mistake Mr/Mrs/Ms Boss & it seems you assume new members were born yesterday, I bought my first hi-fi at 14 & I'm now 56, anyway I have better things to do than argue, the post was simply what I found to be a good solution to close wall use.

If you check the thread, you were considering the Bronze and also received suggestions for Apex and Radius. It would help if you had mentioned which speaker model sounded awful, rather than just mention "Monitor Audio".

Roksan Fan said:
the Monitor Audio's sounded awful near the wall with bungs in or out

Neither your age nor your experience in Hi Fi is of any concern to me. All I wanted was to clarify which Monitor Audio speaker isn't suitable for placement close to a wall, so it helps future members who often won't read the whole thread.

chebby said:
Bigboss uses Monitor Audio speakers. (Click on the link in his signature.)

Obvious that he was going to get defensive.

There's no reason for me to get defensive. It's just a speaker brand. I happen to know more about the Monitor Audio range due to my past purchases and demos.

bartlett23

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I have a pair of Acoustic Energy 301s, which are great. Front ported, so are fine up against a wall. Check out the What Hi-Fi review. Reckon you'll find a pair within budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts