Looking to buy new amplifier. Searching for advices

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Artoo said:
Reading through the massive Hegel threads in Scandinavian forums, Dynaudio seems to be a great match with Hegel amps (they gets the most recommendations), controlling the bass of these speakers.

Hi Artoo

Yes, Hegel amps high damping factor helps give excellent bass control, grip and drive which i feel is a nice tonic for Dynaudio loudspeakers. Their control and overall tonal presentation helps offer excellent synergy with Dynaudio loudspeakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

rainsoothe

jonathanRD said:
Lasse said:
I'm already considering Hegel H80, but I think the Naim Nait XS2 is to expensive. I have considered the Naim Nait 5Si which is almost the same price as H80. Have also been looking at the Rega amps, they also look quite lovely.

Yesterday I listened to the Rega Elex-R, Arcam A29 and Naim Nait 5Si. All demoed with the same source/dac/speakers - the Elex-r was just a little more engaging/clearer than the Arcam A29, but I found the Naim a little too forward for my tastes. It was interesting that from a demo cd of 5 tracks, how one track in particular was the best at exposing the differences between amplifiers. But overall the differences were not huge and a lot depends on the type of music you like, and (obviously) how the amplifier works with the source/speakers. If I was to choose one amplifier that I thought would be the safest bet to work with the most combinations, I would choose the Rega.   However, we were also using a Rega Dac-r so the Hegel with it's internal dac might be a worthy option, but for me it's too far to travel to listen to one.

Hi - what was the rest of the gear involved.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
jonathanRD said:

Yesterday I listened to the Rega Elex-R, Arcam A29 and Naim Nait 5Si. All demoed with the same source/dac/speakers - the Elex-r was just a little more engaging/clearer than the Arcam A29, but I found the Naim a little too forward for my tastes. It was interesting that from a demo cd of 5 tracks, how one track in particular was the best at exposing the differences between amplifiers. But overall the differences were not huge and a lot depends on the type of music you like, and (obviously) how the amplifier works with the source/speakers. If I was to choose one amplifier that I thought would be the safest bet to work with the most combinations, I would choose the Rega. However, we were also using a Rega Dac-r so the Hegel with it's internal dac might be a worthy option, but for me it's too far to travel to listen to one.

Hi - what was the rest of the gear involved.

In an attempt to match my home setup, a Rega Apollo-r cdp and the new Rega RX3's, but to help hear the differences we then added the Rega DAC-r. The main objective was to get an idea of the differences between amps (I also listened to the Rega Elicit-r) using music I listen to. Over the coming weeks I will arrange a home demo of both the Elex-r and Elicit-r wth the DAC-r. Next week I will be listening to some Exposure gear - particularly the 3010S2D and a few surprises but I may start a new thread for that. *smile*

rainsoothe

I see, thank you :) well, I never got the rega dac-r / brio-r hype, I auditioned them and got nothing. I even heard a vpi traveler with rega Osiris, and couldn't believe the premium on that amp. But indeed, Naim match warmer sounding stuff, like Arcam iirdac or chord Hugo (which most naimites prefer over the dac-v1).

Can't wait for the new thread then :) oh, and give Croft phono integrated an audition.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts