Looking to buy new amplifier. Searching for advices

Lasse

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have recently bought a pair of Dynaudio Excite X14 speakers, which is a brilliant speaker I do really like! Over the past days, my agening NAD C350 amp is starting to scratch from both channels and I think it's about time for a change.

I have search the internet for recommendations, and have considered the following:

Hegel H80, Arcam A19, Creek Evolution 50A, Nuprime IDA-8, Rega Elex-R.

I am starting to get lost in this jungle, so i'm hoping for your help. Have any of you heard the different amplifiers, or do you have other recommendations - I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Lasse

Lasse

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Lasse said:
Hey guys,

I have recently bought a pair of Dynaudio Excite X14 speakers, which is a brilliant speaker I do really like! Over the past days, my agening NAD C350 amp is starting to scratch from both channels and I think it's about time for a change.

I have search the internet for recommendations, and have considered the following:

I am starting to get lost in this jungle, so i'm hoping for your help. Have any of you heard the different amplifiers, or do you have other recommendations - I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Lasse

Btw. I have already also considered, pretty sad, to sell my X14's and instead buy Dynaudio X14 active or Xeo 2 or Xeo 4. This would in the end cost me more or less the same, but would be a smaller setup and I'm sure that my speakers would sound the best they can.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I've only good things to say about Rega's stuff. I have the Rega Elex-R little brother has my main amp and it is a very fine amp and when I'm ready yo upgrade I will be buying the Elex-R. What hi-fi think it's one of the best amps your money can buy at the minute and they listen to lots of amps.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Lasse said:
Lasse said:
Hey guys,

Lasse

Btw. I have already also considered, pretty sad, to sell my X14's and instead buy Dynaudio X14 active or Xeo 2 or Xeo 4. This would in the end cost me more or less the same, but would be a smaller setup and I'm sure that my speakers would sound the best they can.

If you check out the pro stores you will find the BM5-III studio monitor for around £700, a lot cheaper than the X14A and an established speaker with a fine reputation.

Finish is a little more prosaic, but a hell of a lot of speaker for the money.

Lasse

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I am considering the active solution because it will be about almost the same amount of money, it will take much less space and my system will then be as closest to the most optimum that I can get from the speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Lasse said:
I am considering the active solution because it will be about almost the same amount of money, it will take much less space and my system will then be as closest to the most optimum that I can get from the speakers.

Reads like you just sold yourself a pair of speakers (even if I don't entirely agree with the second part of your sentence).

I could name two very highly regarded active speakers that didn't float my boat entirely.

Still, chosen correctly, you should get a very nice speaker/sound.

Chosen wrong, no amount of 'active' will make the speaker any more enticing to you.

Lasse

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Maybe I did, but I really do like my X14's and thats with an old NAD amplifier. I would like to keep my curent speakers, so I think the active solution will be my choice in the last resort.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
If buying new the Musical Fidelity M3si - do give this amp a listen if you can. Slightly higher bracket but a must listen for around £1000.

If buying used the Rotel ra-1520 - the dynaudio's I'm sure will be very well suited to it. Very clean sounding amp with good power and a full feature count with tone controls. Going by the WHF review they'll compliment each other. The dyno's leaning towards bassy...set you back under £450 now rrp was £700ish.

I own one and would recommend it highly. It requires quite a few hours run in but becomes a surprisingly sweet sounding and impressive amp.

Hi Lasse

Fwiw, there is excellent synergy between Dynaudio and Hegel amplification as Dynaudio partly use Hegel amplification to develop their loudspeakers
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Lasse

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm already considering Hegel H80, but I think the Naim Nait XS2 is to expensive. I have considered the Naim Nait 5Si which is almost the same price as H80. Have also been looking at the Rega amps, they also look quite lovely.

Artoo

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Reading through the massive Hegel threads in Scandinavian forums, Dynaudio seems to be a great match with Hegel amps (they gets the most recommendations), controlling the bass of these speakers. Of course, many other amps might match well with the Dynaudios as well.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Lasse said:
I'm already considering Hegel H80, but I think the Naim Nait XS2 is to expensive. I have considered the Naim Nait 5Si which is almost the same price as H80. Have also been looking at the Rega amps, they also look quite lovely.

Yesterday I listened to the Rega Elex-R, Arcam A29 and Naim Nait 5Si. All demoed with the same source/dac/speakers - the Elex-r was just a little more engaging/clearer than the Arcam A29, but I found the Naim a little too forward for my tastes. It was interesting that from a demo cd of 5 tracks, how one track in particular was the best at exposing the differences between amplifiers. But overall the differences were not huge and a lot depends on the type of music you like, and (obviously) how the amplifier works with the source/speakers. If I was to choose one amplifier that I thought would be the safest bet to work with the most combinations, I would choose the Rega. However, we were also using a Rega Dac-r so the Hegel with it's internal dac might be a worthy option, but for me it's too far to travel to listen to one.

Lasse

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Lasse said:

Yesterday I listened to the Rega Elex-R, Arcam A29 and Naim Nait 5Si. All demoed with the same source/dac/speakers - the Elex-r was just a little more engaging/clearer than the Arcam A29, but I found the Naim a little too forward for my tastes. It was interesting that from a demo cd of 5 tracks, how one track in particular was the best at exposing the differences between amplifiers. But overall the differences were not huge and a lot depends on the type of music you like, and (obviously) how the amplifier works with the source/speakers. If I was to choose one amplifier that I thought would be the safest bet to work with the most combinations, I would choose the Rega. However, we were also using a Rega Dac-r so the Hegel with it's internal dac might be a worthy option, but for me it's too far to travel to listen to one.

Thank you for your answer. It gives me some things to look after. Its not easy to choose because of the many great products in this price range :D But I think I will go to the local store and have a listen. I guess they have a lot of the amplifiers mentioned in this thread.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Lasse said:

Thank you for your answer. It gives me some things to look after. Its not easy to choose because of the many great products in this price range :D But I think I will go to the local store and have a listen. I guess they have a lot of the amplifiers mentioned in this thread.

Try to make a demo disk of some tracks that you know well and play often, and a range of music. I found that some tracks sounded almost the same on all the amplifiers I heard but that could be due to the speakers and demo room too. Then on other tracks it was immediately obvious what the differences were. You will get lots of suggestions about what amp to get, but personally I will only purchase an amp I can listen to first, and most importantly take home to demo with my system in my room. Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts