New Amplifier Advice (for MA BX2)

BobWH

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
My old amplifier - an Aura Evolution va100 ii - has stopped working. It was second hand in the first place and I did get it repaired a few years ago so I think it is probably time for a new one. Following some advice on this forum just over a year ago I had got myself some new MA BX2's and I really enjoyed the combination. For those that do not know it, the amp is about 20 years old, 50W pc, and was well-respected in its day. It was probably about £350 new and considered to be 'mid-range'. I don't have a lot experience with hi-fi but my general impression was of a fairly warm but detailed sound.

I've been doing a bit of research and my head is spinning. I probably want something that will go well with the BX2s but that will also offer some potential to upgrade my speakers in the next couple of years though I don't know if it is worth thinking like this, given that the BX2s are what I have now, and whether I should just look for something cheap to tide me over.

So I've gone from wondering about a secondhand PM6004 at one end to wondering how something like an Audioloab 8300a or Rega Exel-R would sound at the other. The latter probably represent the maximum I would possibly consider. Then there are the options in the middle like the Arcam A19, NAD C 356BEE, and the Rega Brio-R.

I listen to a very wide variety of music, but mainly what might loosely be described as progressive rock and orchestral classical. My main input is streamed FLAC via a Squeezebox Touch but I also have a Linn Axis TT.

Ideally I'd like both headphone out and phono in but would consider up to one separate box if necessary (advice appreciated if appropriate).

Just looking for any advice or suggestions to help me organise my thoughts before visiting a dealer as I don't really know where to start at the moment.

BobWH said:
My old amplifier - an Aura Evolution va100 ii - has stopped working. It was second hand in the first place and I did get it repaired a few years ago so I think it is probably time for a new one. Following some advice on this forum just over a year ago I had got myself some new MA BX2's and I really enjoyed the combination. For those that do not know it, the amp is about 20 years old, 50W pc, and was well-respected in its day. It was probably about £350 new and considered to be 'mid-range'. I don't have a lot experience with hi-fi but my general impression was of a fairly warm but detailed sound.

I've been doing a bit of research and my head is spinning. I probably want something that will go well with the BX2s but that will also offer some potential to upgrade my speakers in the next couple of years though I don't know if it is worth thinking like this, given that the BX2s are what I have now, and whether I should just look for something cheap to tide me over.

So I've gone from wondering about a secondhand PM6004 at one end to wondering how something like an Audioloab 8300a or Rega Exel-R would sound at the other. The latter probably represent the maximum I would possibly consider. Then there are the options in the middle like the Arcam A19, NAD C 356BEE, and the Rega Brio-R.

I listen to a very wide variety of music, but mainly what might loosely be described as progressive rock and orchestral classical. My main input is streamed FLAC via a Squeezebox Touch but I also have a Linn Axis TT.

Ideally I'd like both headphone out and phono in but would consider up to one separate box if necessary (advice appreciated if appropriate).

Just looking for any advice or suggestions to help me organise my thoughts before visiting a dealer as I don't really know where to start at the moment.

I am assuming you are in the UK. If you are what exactly would your maximum spend figure be?

If you can stretch to it I would recommend you try to audition the Creek Evolution 50A which can be fitted with the Sequel 40 plug-in phono module and raven the Ruby DAC module should you wish.

Should offer similar sound to your old Aura. :)

BobWH

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm in the UK. I think I'd be willing to stretch to 1K or so if it is something I could see myself keeping for a good few years and supporting a really good speaker upgrade in a year or two.

When I wrote that last paragraph I hadn't actually looked up your suggestion but that is within my budget albeit towards the top end. My main question with that would then be how far it would allow me to go with speakers in future.

BobWH said:
Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm in the UK. I think I'd be willing to stretch to 1K or so if it is something I could see myself keeping for a good few years and supporting a really good speaker upgrade in a year or two.

When I wrote that last paragraph I hadn't actually looked up your suggestion but that is within my budget albeit towards the top end. My main question with that would then be how far it would allow me to go with speakers in future.

Unless you intend getting some really inefficient speakers or intend playing everything at disco volume levels then it will be sufficient for a good while.

It will also generate a sound not unlike but 'more meaty' than you Aura.

rainsoothe

Al ears said:
BobWH said:

I am assuming you are in the UK. If you are what exactly would your maximum spend figure be?

If you can stretch to it I would recommend you try to audition the Creek Evolution 50A which can be fitted with the Sequel 40 plug-in phono module and raven the Ruby DAC module should you wish.

imo the BX2 would be terrible with the Creek - the 50A is a bit bright, and also lacks warmth. I'd look at Arcam A19, since it has the phono stage and headphone out. But it'll make you wanna upgrade the speakers at a later stage as well. Bang for buck, I just found out about NVA stuff, but no phono and no headphones. Look into it.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The two recommendations I'd suggest - is top end Music Fidelity M3si this is a new amp and will set you back about a grand - some may consider this over kill but it'll maximise the potential of your BX2's (.....with aplomb) and will stand any speaker upgrade. Very powerful sounding amp.

It has a phono stage and built in DAC but with only USB access to it.

More affordable a Rotel ra-1520 - phono stage and a media player input, mini headphone jack. It will drive your speakers well and suits your music type. Originally retailed for 700quid now around £350 to £400 used and will do a better job than the same priced 'New' budget amps you are looking at.

Some may consider these amps two much for your speakers but the BX2 are quality speakers that will improve with better amplification.

Audition the Musical Fidelity M3si with your speakers if you can...... It's alot of money I know bit it's alot of amp.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Al ears said:
BobWH said:
My old amplifier - an Aura Evolution va100 ii - has stopped working. It was second hand in the first place and I did get it repaired a few years ago so I think it is probably time for a new one.  Following some advice on this forum just over a year ago I had got myself some new MA BX2's and I really enjoyed the combination. For those that do not know it, the amp is about 20 years old, 50W pc, and was well-respected in its day. It was probably about £350 new and considered to be 'mid-range'.  I don't have a lot experience with hi-fi but my general impression was of a fairly warm but detailed sound.

So I've gone from wondering about a secondhand PM6004 at one end to wondering how something like an Audioloab 8300a or Rega Exel-R would sound at the other.  The latter probably represent the maximum I would possibly consider.  Then there are the options in the middle like the Arcam A19, NAD C 356BEE, and the Rega Brio-R.

?

?

?

?

?

?

imo the BX2 would be terrible with the Creek - the 50A is a bit bright, and also lacks warmth. I'd look at Arcam A19, since it has the phono stage and headphone out. But it'll make you wanna upgrade the speakers at a later stage as well. Bang for buck, I just found out about NVA stuff, but no phono and no headphones. Look into it.

I too would recommend you to take a look at NVA. You could get a very nice amp for your budget and if you speak to Richard Dunn who builds the amps he can fit a headphone socket for a small extra cost. I think it cost £30 when he fitted one for me.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
rainsoothe said:
Al ears said:
BobWH said:
My old amplifier - an Aura Evolution va100 ii - has stopped working. It was second hand in the first place and I did get it repaired a few years ago so I think it is probably time for a new one.  Following some advice on this forum just over a year ago I had got myself some new MA BX2's and I really enjoyed the combination. For those that do not know it, the amp is about 20 years old, 50W pc, and was well-respected in its day. It was probably about £350 new and considered to be 'mid-range'.  I don't have a lot experience with hi-fi but my general impression was of a fairly warm but detailed sound.

So I've gone from wondering about a secondhand PM6004 at one end to wondering how something like an Audioloab 8300a or Rega Exel-R would sound at the other.  The latter probably represent the maximum I would possibly consider.  Then there are the options in the middle like the Arcam A19, NAD C 356BEE, and the Rega Brio-R.

?

?

?

?

?

?

I too would recommend you to take a look at NVA. You could get a very nice amp for your budget and if you speak to Richard Dunn who builds the amps he can fit a headphone socket for a small extra cost. I think it cost £30 when he fitted one for me.

I took a look at the NVA Mono blocks btw they look very nice

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
They really do look nice. Quite industrial looking but also really slick in the black acrylic. I've had 3 NVA amps now and all have looked very smart... They have also all sounded damn fine too!

BobWH

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. The NVA looks like an interesting option but I suppose listening before buying would be a problem. Did you buy them unheard? What sort of characteristics does their sound have?

The MS3i also looks like an option. I worry slightly that I would be paying a premium for a DAC I might not use. Would the amp be worth its price anyway if it didn't have the DAC?

BobWH said:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. The NVA looks like an interesting option but I suppose listening before buying would be a problem. Did you buy them unheard? What sort of characteristics does their sound have?

The MS3i also looks like an option. I worry slightly that I would be paying a premium for a DAC I might not use. Would the amp be worth its price anyway if it didn't have the DAC?

I very much doubt it. If you are unlikely to need a DAC then don't buy an amp with one would be my advice. Spend your money on the important bits.

BobWH

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
It seems that the MS3i is also a little on the large side. There is a WAF factor here in that we have a nice hifi stand that I would have to continue using but the shelves are 400mm deep which is the depth of that amp.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
NVA is sold on a 30 day return basis so you have 30 days at home to decide if it's for you or not. I bought my first NVA amp, an ap10, unheard but I was sold straight away. If you visit the website run by the owner of NVA there is also a loan scheme which may be on interest to you.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
BobWH said:
It seems that the MS3i is also a little on the large side. There is a WAF factor here in that we have a nice hifi stand that I would have to continue using but the shelves are 400mm deep which is the depth of that amp.

In the flesh the M3si looks delicious!

Ref the DAC it's a 'future proof' - you use soft music anyway and it may prove an improvement on your current DAC.

I only demod this amp but it is deeply impressive.

Superfi have them in stoke. Just have a listen.

If you are considering the likes of the 8200a or FMJ19/29 this is a noticeable step up in sound delivery.

Please go have a listen if you can. Let us know what you think.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
BobWH said:

In the flesh the M3si looks delicious!

Ref the DAC it's a 'future proof' - you use soft music anyway and it may prove an improvement on your current DAC.

I only demod this amp but it is deeply impressive.

Superfi have them in stoke. Just have a listen.

If you are considering the likes of the 8200a or FMJ19/29 this is a noticeable step up in sound delivery.

Please go have a listen if you can. Let us know what you think.

Are you a Stokie, then?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
There's no sneaking anything past you two..... *ACUTE*

Yep in stock.

But to the OP try and have a listen to this amp.

With respect to the WAF hurdle the M3si looks like money.

Compared to the Arcams and the AudioLabs - it makes them look like old tat and makes them sound overpriced.

Its unusual for me to 'big up' a product in this type of thread but again I have to say this amp is deeply impressive.

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Wow lots of informed advice here and I'll just add to the confusion. I have a Linn Axis but venerable Monitor Audio Studio 20SEs rather than BX's.

Here's the thing - discovered a great love for Roksan after picking up a K2 from Richer Sounds' parts bin for £450. It's a humdinger, particularly the (MM) phono stage which is top notch. In fact I'd say the words 'this integrated amp has a great phono stage' probably don't mean anything until you've heard a Roksan. Very engaging open seamless sound with pitch black silence in between the twiddly note things. Seems to suit my MA's down to the ground.

So I went out and got a K3 CD. Another winner. Not just me - if you hunt around you'll find the likes of stereophile.com, hifichoice and WHF have rated this kit.

Roksan has gone through some range changes with K2 going to K2BT going to K3 on the amp front (K3 looks to be very very similar to the K2BT on the inside by the way if you're budget conscious) and the CD going K3 to K3DI (which may be used as a DAC) and the result has been some end of range bargains. You may not be able to pick up an open box K2 amp for that price (or the K3 CD for £680 - good grief that's a bargain!) but there may still be some deals out there.

Anyway I'd say listen to Roksan kit before plumping. I've been delighted and really don't think I'll be buying a new amp or CD any time soon. Sorry to add to the choice!

BobWH

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
On paper the M3si is still looking tempting. Does anyone have it? Does the specified depth measurement of 400mm include the volume knob?

Nowhere local has it in stock based on their websites but I guess they'd get one in for me to demo.

BobWH said:
On paper the M3si is still looking tempting. Does anyone have it? Does the specified depth measurement of 400mm include the volume knob?

Nowhere local has it in stock based on their websites but I guess they'd get one in for me to demo.

Quoted measurements are normally for the case itself. Don't know for sure in this case.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Just a comment on the Aura. It might be old, but in my opinion it easily outperforms my modern NAD D3020 and the phonostage is very good.

You need to spend a lot more on a new amp to get to same level and not many modern amps will have the same 'weight and warmth' as your vintage Aura, in my opinion. The Aura is a somewhat unique sounding amp, but it gets very hot, and I'm sure this influences reliability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts