Specific Amp for KEF LS50s

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
occamsrazor said:
Would you mind commenting in a bit more detail on the differences between the Brio and Elex? Thanks...

I can only (subjectively) judge the difference between them coupled with the Kef LS50 speakers. The main thing I noticed was not so much the sound but the new level of detail and a quite new field of sound; a new level of musicality (rhythm, storyline?); and a tolerance of poor recordings. Every recording is quite differently experienced on the Elex-R.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Fujee said:
Interesting, though 100 pounds for a mains cable is steep.. I can understand spending that cash on speaker cables but is the mains cable with the amp all that bad to begin with? I will keep it in mind.

As for my ears mellowing, I think I need to still be a bit careful brightness wise as I am only 23 currently, but then again I really like the sound of Grado headphones, so brightness might not be a huge issue.

Anyone know of any decent DACs which would compliment this amp and speaker combo? I am pretty interested in the Rega CDP and the DAC tbh.

Mains cables, many people don't believe they make any difference, my advise is borrow some from your dealer and test them at home, if possible blind.

As for DACs the John Kenny Ciúnas DAC[/b] is said to be about the best under £1,000 on another hifi forum that goes in in for testing such things, next is probably Metrum Octave but thats about £900. The John Kenny is mail order form Ireland, believe there is a 30 trial period, cost about Euros 550.

Another one I have come across lately is the NJC Audio, its about £400 mail order from Cornwall.

TRENDING THREADS