Amp update

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello all, listened to 3 amps last week, Rega Elex, Naim nait 5si and Creek Evolution 50a, deck was Planar 3 and my Tannoy DC6T, the Rega is nice and warm with good detail but the soundstage I thought a bit narrow, up next the Creek, lots of detail wider soundstage and fuller sounding, now the Naim, forward sounding and toe tapping but a bit grating after a while but this was not a demo unit so probably needed a bit more warm up, listened next to a few more tracks from my own albums, 10cc on the Rega, brilliant, detailed powerful and fruity but still that narrow soundstage, now the Creek, I was gobsmacked, after a few bars this was really floating my boat, there's just rightness to it, clean bass beautiful midrange and no harsh treble, now the Naim, this had a bit more warm up, it really pushed along at a rate knots, it is toe tapping but not very subtle, after a couple more tracks by led Zeppelin and pink Floyd it was clear that I was sold on the Creek, nothing wrong with the other amps, I could have happily lived with either of these but the bottom line is audition audition audition, I walked off with the Creek, not literally, had it home for a week now, all I can say is I'm a happy bunny, it's great when you hear songs you know and then, where did that come from, iv'e never heard that before, for all those looking for recommendations of equipment, have an audition, it's worth the effort.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You tried some good amps there....and I totally agree with your assessment, especially of the Naim.

It's a pity you didn't get to hear the Arcam A29, which imo goes well with Tannoy....but it mightn't have changed the verdict though.

Good choice and enjoy your new toy.

Gray

As Mister Punch would say, "That's the way to do it"

I too tried 3 different amps on home loan (over consecutive weeks). I was surprised at the extent of their audible differences.

Glad you picked a winner that's keeping you happy.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Yes, there's nothing like listening at home although I have in the past been guilty of buying sight unheard so to speak, as this was a major upgrade from my last amp and an expensive one, a good dealer really does play a part, thanks for your comments and I hope everyone on the hunt for an upgrade is as happy as I am, all the best, Gregory.

Well done. *good*

My only comment about the Naim sounding forward is I guess, as I've not heard the combo, is Tannoy perhaps exaggerates Naim's brightness. Having heard Cyrus and Tannoy it's not pairing I could listen to over long periods.

Back to the Creek: Had the previous incarnation, the Evo 2, on home dem that matched RS6 very well. I presume the Tannoys have similar traits with their HFs.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
the tannoys are smooth but agile also, not huge amounts of bass but a lovely rightness, not one note plodding, just an easy to follow tune about them.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
have to admit i try to but new as much as i can, been burnt a few times with 2nd hand gear but i got it at a good price with full guarantee so im happy all round.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts