london based double blind listening test anyone?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
Hi Dave,

It depends on what you want to achieve. To rely on a couple of procedures doesn’t need to mean that people external to the test should see it as proof of whatever the outcome is, but it can help people understand that this test was taken with good intentions and that some obvious pitfalls have been avoided that could otherwise diminish any value of the test. (the suggestion done by Matt earlier was an obvious one in my opinion if it’s the idea to use the results and write a little piece on this forum).

Please note though that I haven’t suggested anything complex so far. But just as ‘blind swapping’ is inherent to a blind test, I tend to think that following several other procedures (how long is each cable listened to for how many times? Are people allowed to talk with each other? Is the data processed in any way and if so, is it also done separately for believers and skeptics?) can also be important for even the most basic exercise, because they can help to bring clarity to the undertaking, thereby preventing possible discontent, and allow for posting some results on a forum such as this.

In any case, it’s not so much about following the ‘right’ procedures, but about being in agreement about how things are going to take place, and what can possibly be concluded afterwards.

Fair comment, I was really a bit fazed by some of the suggestions re 'screening' participants etc.

On reflection I would be tempted to actually do ABX testing, testing cables in pairs. Decent, well made entry level cables vs something quite expensive with a decent reputation. At least the results will be clear and unambiguous.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify: my point about cable sceptics and expectation bias was a response to calls for the test to include participants (i. e. test subjects) from both sides, as if this would give the test more credibility. It won't. Of course that doesn't mean (and here I agree with Dave) that there aren't valid reasons for doing a less formal test.

It's just a matter of knowing what you can reasonably achieve. If you want scientific proof of anything, you won't get it from this kind of test. Likewise, if you think the outcome of the test is going to lend much weight either way to arguments about cables on this forum, then it won't.

Matt

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Personally I would be happy with putting 2 Hi-Fi's in a room consisting of an amp or preamp and control amp, a CD player and or streamer and a DAC. 1 for each set up. I inclued a DAC because some people feel DAC don't make a difference. Cables are still the main reason for the test but this would then allow the testing of digital cbles too.

One Hi-Fi being a mid priced set up and the other if someone is prepared to bring one, a High priced set up. A set of mid priced bookshelf speakers and a set of high priced Floorstanders.

Then any cables we can bring. Including mains, interconnects, and speaker cable.

Of course some people want a very scientific test performed. I'm happy to go with that but I still think playing a few passes of a song and writing down what you can hear regarding instruments being played or backing vocals being sung, how much tone you can hear for these intsrument and so on then swapping the cables and repeating.

I would also suggest reversing the process with a completely different set of songs. Making notes on what you can hear with the supposed hi-end cables then swapping to the stock cables.

As I said i'll go with the tech way if that's whaat people want.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
Vladimir said:
Prostate exam before each cable swap is a must.

Only if you want to be that A*al about it lol. Nice one Vladimir. You do bring genuine cheer to the hallowed pages.

Skeptics and science claim human aural (audio) memory is about 3 seconds long so I thought how can we make the memories permanent.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I live in the north, so wouldn't be able to take part anyway, but to compare items subjectively like this would make the results really meaningless., though you might find it enjoyable. Effectively you would be testing the what hifi way. Testing one item at a time repeatedly in a simple experiment would be the only way to produce any sort of statistically meaningful result.

TRENDING THREADS