Linn + Naim pre / power

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
hello everyone this is my first thread so be nice!

I am asking this forum because I am looking for unbiased advice. I have a Linn Sneaky DS as a source. I want to up grade my amplification. I am thinking of buying a ex-demo 122x & 150x or a Linn 2100 power amp. The Naim pre/power get great reviews but I am not sure if I should keep the system the same and the Linn DS doesn't really need a seperate pre amp? Hope you can help?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
In your postion I would be tempted to keep the system 'one brand' (Linn if your source will be Linn) for all sorts of reasons.

However both brands are represented by lots of excellent dealers and I have no doubt they will be happy to let you test the differences. (Many such dealers handle both brands which makes things easier.)

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I do have a Linn/Naim dealer nearby but he does not have many good things to say about Linn (maybe a professional fall out???) and thinks I should buy the NaimUniti. I pointed out to him that the Uniti maybe a great product but I can put together a better system for £2k.I don't need the CD player and the Linn DS can play studio master quality. My Linn dealer tells me to stick with Linn surprise surprise!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CraigDS:I pointed out to him that the Uniti maybe a great product but I can put together a better system for £2k.I don't need the CD player and the Linn DS can play studio master quality. My Linn dealer tells me to stick with Linn surprise surprise.

That's good. I think you have answered your own query.

Either:- the 2K system you can beat the naimuniti with or the Linn system your dealer recommends. Listen to all options and decide which sounds best to you. (I think your Linn guy may be right in this case.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Companies like Linn (or Naim) develop and voice all their equipment together to have a cohesive 'house sound' or system synergy if you like.

Not only that, but any system glitches or problems that develop become a one-stop-shop for resolution. (eg "Hey Linn, it's all your gear so sort it". No party can blame the other for any incompatibilities leaving you in the middle between two dealers and two manufacturers.)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Linn decided to go down the multi-room/installation to keep up with the times, eventually leading to them laying off staff (half the workforce if I recall correctly?) due to falling profits. Whether this has been turned around, I don't know, but I know they're not as strong as the company they were10/15 years ago. I would be nice to see them get back to where they were, which was a major player in the 2 channel market.

Naim, although bringing out a couple of alternative products, stuck to what they were best at, producing high quality, 2 channel hi-fi. This has helped them grow from strength to strength.

manicm

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Linn decided to go down the multi-room/installation to keep up with the times, eventually leading to them laying off staff (half the workforce if I recall correctly?) due to falling profits. Whether this has been turned around, I don't know, but I know they're not as strong as the company they were10/15 years ago. I would be nice to see them get back to where they were, which was a major player in the 2 channel market.

Naim, although bringing out a couple of alternative products, stuck to what they were best at, producing high quality, 2 channel hi-fi. This has helped them grow from strength to strength.

I believe Linn are doing very well with their DS line, except in Japan where for a period they did not sell a single one! However they too were sold when Gilad Tiefenbrun (Linn MD) personally did a demo there.

If their sales were sagging they are definitely on the up. And DS is 2-channel so they still 'remain true to their roots'. And their DS players are still the only ones which handle the full monty up till 24bit/192khz files. I'd only wish they'd ditch their open source rhetoric and ever-so-slightly arrogant soliloquy and come up with a decent user interface - but I believe they're making progress there too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts