LG 47LM670T clouding

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Recently purchased a lovely new LG 47LM670T at the weekend, partly on the back of the 5 star WHSV review as well as my own research and demos. Unfortunately there seems to be a large amount or vertical banding and some quite severe clouding/bleeding on a dark screen (when watching a letterbox movie for example).

Does anyone else have this TV and have any such issues? No mention of any backlight issues in any of the reviews I have seen so far - do I have a faulty set???

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
unfortunatley this can be common on led/lcd tvs if its as bad as you say contact the retailer you purchased the tv from and tell them the problem hopefully as you have only had it a few days they may replace the tv if they deem it to be faulty

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
I have spoken to them already but will need to take the set back to the shop so they can see it for themselves...will be taking a photo this evening so will post on here for all to see - hopefully one of the WHSW reviewers would be able to comment on whther the review set has the same levels of bleed/clouding??

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
No streamer, our review set didn't suffer from backlight bleed or clouding. But it can vary from set to set – sounds like you might have been unlucky with yours.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andy - hopefully RS will agree and if they do I'll be checking the replacement before I leave! Otherwise it's back to plasma for me...

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hope you get the issue sorted i had the same issue with my samsung d8000 led backlight bleed clouding issues so went to plasma never regretted it :)

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
img7324y.jpg

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Probably not the best pictures but the top one should be a uniform grey screen (found when iPlayer stopped working last night!)and the other a black screen from an unused input.

Am I being overy paranoid??

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i dont think you are being paranoid i certainly would not be happy with the tv i would want it replaced as by the pictures it does look there is a problem with the panel with the amount of clouding i really hope you get it sorted

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
No you are not being paranoid.

I have become well versed over the last few years with faulty tvs as i've been on the receiving end of my fair share of them (lcd and plasma) and in my opinion your tv is faulty, either one of those issues seems bad enough to reject the tv on it's own but the combination of the two is simply not acceptable.

Richer Sounds was where i purchased my GT30 plasma and despite having issues with 2 of the tvs i received they couldn't have been any better and replaced the tv on both occasions until i received a set i was happy with so i'm absolutely sure they will look after you so you shouldn't worry just take it back and they will look at it and not fob you off from my experience, they are the best retailer i have come across. If you look at the back panel of your receipt you will see that if you get a fault with the tv in the first 30days you have the right to return it for a replacement or full refund and it's not a painful process i can assure you,

If it was me i would just return the tv to the store despite it being a pain as i think you will get a satisfactory resolution, just be glad you bought from Richers as alot of retailers seem to require you to battle them in order to get the tv replaced...i speak from bitter experience. I won't buy from anywhere else now after the excellent customer service i received.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys

I'm dropping by the store on my way home this evening with my camera in tow just to get their opinion before packing it up and lugging it back there at the weekend. I may just go for the refund and stick with plasma - looking around the 50GT50B can be had for around the same price as the LG........hopefully more reliable too, iPlayer stopped working last night (the 'grey' screen above is all you see now) and there's no sign of Netflix!

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Popped into the shop yesterday and on the photographic evidence I shoed them at least they agreed the TV looked faulty. They seemed more keen on giving me a replacment than a refund though but no stock until the end of next week at the earliest.

Think I might phone them today and insist on a refund instead though.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Big Boss - they clearly state that I am entitled to my choice of an exchange or full refund but their preference yesterday was to exchange rather than refund. I'm sure it won't be a problem though.

Not sure what I was thinking going from plasma to LCD though....lesson learnt there I think!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Back to plasma then Streamer! Personally i would never go back to LCD/LED after the amount of issues i had with tvs of this tech, may i suggest the Panny GT50 as a potential contender. Good to hear Richers seem to agree the tv is faulty and i hope you get a refund and new tv soon, keep us updated with what you decide to replace the LG with.

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Old boy - spoke to RS just now, they seem happy for me to take the TV back tomorrow for a refund. Luckily there's a John Lewis round the corner who just happen to have one GT50 left.....

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Streamer said:
Thanks Old boy - spoke to RS just now, they seem happy for me to take the TV back tomorrow for a refund. Luckily there's a John Lewis round the corner who just happen to have one GT50 left.....

That's excellent news Streamer and more Kudos for Richer Sounds, don't they have the GT50 then? Not that it matters as John Lewis have it but it would have been easier for you to just change the tv over for a GT50 at Richers without the extra travel etc.

Fingers crossed that last GT50 has your name on it and that you are happy with it, keep us updated with how you get on....i can feel the jealousy swelling inside me knowing that you are getting a GT50, lucky man! ;)

Streamer

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
Yes, full respect to Richer Sounds and luckily JL was only 1 mile away and (sort of) on my way home. GT50 is now taking pride of place in my lounge, the difference is night and day so to speak!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts