LG UP970 4k UHD playback issues

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I have not posted in ages but I am not a happy chappy so thought I would warn all.

I have recently purchased the LG player and set it up in excitement which was very straightforward. Naturally the first disc I put into it was a 4K UHD copy of Hacksaw Ridge to test, I have to say the picture quality is outstanding however ........

To my horror the player immediately started to make a vibrating noise so loud I could hardly hear the film. If you can imagine a pair of turned on hair clippers put down on a wooden surface you probably will be close to the noise the disc player transit omits.

Oddly, it does not do this to Blu Rays or DVD's. They play just fine.

I did a bit of research on another eh hum av forum and found out this is quite a common problem. Does anyone else have these issues ?

I bought the UP970 for its Dolby Vision to go with my OLED LG DV tv. Was really looking forward to upcoming realeases in DV like Guardians o t Galaxy which will be Disney's first DV disc this end of August.

LG is supposedly aware of this issue and is taking some early production units back to exchange them with replacement units - mine has a March 2017 serial number. I phoned their customer services and they have advised I take it back to where I got it but didn't acknowledge their was an issue with this player.

Would love to hear if any of you guys and girls have one or if the team is aware of any issues.

D

Deleted member 2457

psurquhart said:
Hi all,

I have not posted in ages but I am not a happy chappy so thought I would warn all.

I have recently purchased the LG player and set it up in excitement which was very straightforward. Naturally the first disc I put into it was a 4K UHD copy of Hacksaw Ridge to test, I have to say the picture quality is outstanding however ........

To my horror the player immediately started to make a vibrating noise so loud I could hardly hear the film. If you can imagine a pair of turned on hair clippers put down on a wooden surface you probably will be close to the noise the disc player transit omits.

I did a bit of research on another eh hum av forum and found out this is quite a common problem. Does anyone else have these issues ?

I bought the UP970 for its Dolby Vision to go with my OLED LG DV tv. Was really looking forward to upcoming realeases in DV like Guardians o t Galaxy which will be Disney's first DV disc this end of August.

LG is supposedly aware of this issue and is taking some early production units back to exchange them with replacement units - mine has a March 2017 serial number. I phoned their customer services and they have advised I take it back to where I got it but didn't acknowledge their was an issue with this player.

Would love to hear if any of you guys and girls have one or if the team is aware of any issues.
I am aware of the bad reports, but WHF gave it 4 stars so I didn't think it could be that bad. Where did you buy it from? Can you still take it back? Dolby Vision isn't all that from my experience, if you do want it then there's the Oppo 203. A bit expensive though the Oppo 203, you could wait till buy one, or just buy a cheap one like the Samsung k8500 to keep you going. The Samsung is great.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
psurquhart said:
Hi all,

I am aware of the bad reports, but WHF gave it 4 stars so I didn't think it could be that bad. Where did you buy it from? Can you still take it back? Dolby Vision isn't all that from my experience, if you do want it then there's the Oppo 203. A bit expensive though the Oppo 203, you could wait till buy one, or just buy a cheap one like the Samsung k8500 to keep you going. The Samsung is great.
Here's one cheap:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=114_44&products_id=6047

Price match at John Lewis in store and pay £169 and get 3 free 4k Blu-rays.

Or just wait until more come out.

D

Deleted member 2457

psurquhart said:
Oh Gel,

I wish but I can't lavish that sort of money on an Oppo (would love to but the wife would actually throw me out).

It was from Richer Sounds originally.
Have you still got the receipt and can return it okay?

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Well,

Richer Sounds have been as helpful as ever - it's off to LG to see what they are going to do about it.

Mine was a March 2017 unit and I have heard reports of the April units also having issues but the June production line ones seem ok so fingers crossed I get a working replacement.

Cant afford an Oppo so will see where it goes from here.

D

Deleted member 2457

psurquhart said:
Well,

Richer Sounds have been as helpful as ever - it's off to LG to see what they are going to do about it.

Mine was a March 2017 unit and I have heard reports of the April units also having issues but the June production line ones seem ok so fingers crossed I get a working replacement.

Cant afford an Oppo so will see where it goes from here.
Good luck buddy.
thumbs_up.png

TRENDING THREADS