Fundamentals of OLED (vs LCD)

machomanrandysavage

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Apologies in advance for the relatively noob thread!

I've spent *ages* on this forum, review sites, etc... trying to form a definitive view on what TV to purchase next. I've done the comparisons between OLED and LCD in my head and on a piece of paper, but the plethora of different views expressed is clouding my own opinion. Going into JL, Currys etc isnt helping because the TVs are so poorly presented, true comparisons arent possible - it just becomes guesswork to an extent.

I'm drawn to the LG OLEDs based on professional reviews and the promise of lovely blacks. I also prefer the LG smart platform. Samsungs are cheaper tho!

So taking a step back, what are the broad-brush 'features' of OLED - an LG OLED for example - vs a high end LCD (let's say a Samsung JS9000)? If you guys wouldnt mind, please correct the statements below if they are plain wrong..

OLEDS

great black contrasts
great viewing angles
great with sports broadcasts in HD
However...
Judder when playing back HD or movies
Numerous reports of screen issues (banding, yellow tint etc)
Poor with non HD sources
Poor when near a window
LCDs

Better than OLEDs at upscaling SD and HD inputs (I have a Sky box)

Better in rooms where TV is close to a window

Brighter than OLEDs

Capable of HDR

However...
Viewing angles not great
Curved Samsungs are terrible for reflections
Artificially processed looking images
Edge lighting is old tech and leads to patchiness

Happy to spend £2500 on something that futureproofs me as much as possible for the next 6-10 years, naturally need a really good reason to spend that much tho
Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

machomanrandysavage said:
Apologies in advance for the relatively noob thread!

I've spent *ages* on this forum, review sites, etc... trying to form a definitive view on what TV to purchase next. I've done the comparisons between OLED and LCD in my head and on a piece of paper, but the plethora of different views expressed is clouding my own opinion. Going into JL, Currys etc isnt helping because the TVs are so poorly presented, true comparisons arent possible - it just becomes guesswork to an extent.

I'm drawn to the LG OLEDs based on professional reviews and the promise of lovely blacks. I also prefer the LG smart platform. Samsungs are cheaper tho!

So taking a step back, what are the broad-brush 'features' of OLED - an LG OLED for example - vs a high end LCD (let's say a Samsung JS9000)? If you guys wouldnt mind, please correct the statements below if they are plain wrong..

OLEDS

great black contrastsgreat viewing anglesgreat with sports broadcasts in HDHowever...Judder when playing back HD or moviesNumerous reports of screen issues (banding, yellow tint etc)Poor with non HD sourcesPoor when near a windowLCDs

Better than OLEDs at upscaling SD and HD inputs (I have a Sky box)

Better in rooms where TV is close to a window

Brighter than OLEDs

Capable of HDR

However...Viewing angles not greatCurved Samsungs are terrible for reflectionsArtificially processed looking imagesEdge lighting is old tech and leads to patchiness

Happy to spend £2500 on something that futureproofs me as much as possible for the next 6-10 years, naturally need a really good reason to spend that much thoThanks
Oleds are the best by far, what you read on most forums is **** and bull. Just pick one buy from a good retailer and see how you go. It's pretty simple really.
regular_smile.gif

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Check this link out, should help you understand more and choose. I'd go for oled all day!

https://www.avforums.com/article/what-s-the-difference-between-an-led-and-oled-tv.12052

D

Deleted member 2457

I forgot to mention CES 2016 is just around the corner in January 2016 where HDR will be even better!

Yes, OLEDs do HDR at the moment though. The best TV Oled to go for is the flat LG OL ed 55 0r 65 inches code 55ef950v but only Currys and Sevenoaks sell them at present. Yes normal TV is fine on Oleds. Most what you hear on AVForums is greatly over exaggerated. Read it but keep some perspective.

I have always found viewing angles fine on LCDs but if you read a review where it says it's bad probably best avoid.

machomanrandysavage

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
I forgot to mention CES 2016 is just around the corner in January 2016 where HDR will be even better!

Yes, OLEDs do HDR at the moment though. The best TV Oled to go for is the flat LG OL ed 55 0r 65 inches code 55ef950v but only Currys and Sevenoaks sell them at present. Yes normal TV is fine on Oleds. Most what you hear on AVForums is greatly over exaggerated. Read it but keep some perspective.

I have always found viewing angles fine on LCDs but if you read a review where it says it's bad probably best avoid.

thanks man

the 950 is the one I'm targeting but hoping there will be deals nearer / post xmas that push it below £2k. Might be a bit optimistic given the restricted supply!

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:

thanks man

the 950 is the one I'm targeting but hoping there will be deals nearer / post xmas that push it below £2k. Might be a bit optimistic given the restricted supply!
Thats the one I would go for Macho Man. On Currys when I tried to order it wouldn't let me, so you have to phone the central line for Currys then it goes through.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Happy to spend £2500 on something that futureproofs me as much as possible for the next 6-10 years, naturally need a really good reason to spend that much thoThanks

You've managed not to say what size of television you are looking for? Also, do you definitely want a television that is capable of HDR? If not, would you be content with a 1080p set, the best ones of which, let's not forget, are very good, and cheaper than their 4K equivalents.

Quality of upscaling does not depend on whether it's LCD or OLED. It depends on upscaling technology. Samsung is brilliant but LG isn't bad either.

HDR standards will be announced next month, it will be wise to wait until then. It does not mean that HDR will suddenly become better, it simply guarantees that the HDR technology employed in your TV will be compatible.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
You've managed not to say what size of television you are looking for

More diplomatic phrasing is available!

You could ask what screen size the OP is looking for, rather than positing a failing on their part. I expect better of you, Son_of_SJ!

machomanrandysavage

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
haha - ok lads. Missed a bit of info there. I'm after a 55inch TV (which will be difficult to get into my house from a wife / political point of view)

Appreciate all the feedback provided. Am after 4K rather than 1080p - my current Philips PFL429664 has a decent 1080p picture, so kinda want to move with the times.

@bigboss makes a fair point about waiting. I chatted to a guy at Sevenoaks Audio last week who suggested that LG had 'oversold' their OLED tvs and prices would 'more than likely dip in Feb'..... he also said that no major shipments of the LG 950 were due until late Jan

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
So, with Strapped for Cash's rebuke fresh in my mind, you want 55 inches and 4K. To endorse bigboss and gel, over on the AVForums website, the feeling from the people doing the podcasts https://www.avforums.com/forums/podcasts.264/ , select any podcast over the last two months or so is that if you don't have to buy a 4K set right now, CES in January should be revealing of the way forward.

Shame that you're not allowed a television larger than a mere 55 inches .... no chance of a 65" set?? I'm looking at one as I type this, it has a fair bit more impact than even the 60" set in the kitchen ..... But I have no wife!

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
So, with Strapped for Cash's rebuke fresh in my mind, you want 55 inches and 4K. To endorse bigboss and gel, over on the AVForums website, the feeling from the people doing the podcasts https://www.avforums.com/forums/podcasts.264/ , select any podcast over the last two months or so is that if you don't have to buy a 4K set right now, CES in January should be revealing of the way forward.

Shame that you're not allowed a television larger than a mere 55 inches .... no chance of a 65" set?? I'm looking at one as I type this, it has a fair bit more impact than even the 60" set in the kitchen ..... But I have no wife!
I am looking at the 65-inch ef950v, I demoed it today and loved it!

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
LG's Oled TV has the debate all wrapped up.No hdr issues.
1000 pounds discounted on the 65 inch model.No reason to buy an expensive LED,the Hisense TX910 a good second all round choice with hdr and black levels wrapped up at a very reasonable price!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts