LG 55C7/B7 OLED

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Both are available for £1499 now, perhaps even less.

I just bought a Samsung 55Q7 but seing that prices of the LG's have tumbled in the last few days I thought I owe it to myself to have another look as they are now affordable for me.

I went to Curry's again.

I stayed with the C7 for an hour, adjusting everything to my liking which is a natural, much dimmer picture than retail mode.

Aesthetics wise, the set looks quite bulky with that big central foot. The bezels (inside the glass cover) are thicker than the Samsungs. I am not sure if i prefer the look of the C7 over the B7. However, I love the thin back (until it reaches the bulge at the bottom).

Currys have everything linked through the same feed so absolute quality is difficult to establish. Next to it was Sony's A1 OLED and a Samsung 6470 LCD.

First things first, as usual, blacks were perfect, obviously. - But deep black level detail seemed disappointing. There were large chunks of it with no detail. No matter what I did (upping or lowering Gamma included), I could not get the detail. - The Samsung LCD, whilst not great, had better low level dark detail with the same signal feed.

Colour; Good but not great. There was not the gradation of the QLED (it was hanging on the wall but with a different feed) but I felt it was marginally better than Sony's A1 with slightly more subtlety. It did not have the depth, richness and subtlety of the QLED but it bettered the visibly smaller gammut range of the Sony.

Sharpness; Not as sharp as quite a few 4 tv's there, some quite a bit cheaper and nowhere as sharp and natural as the QLED. I tried ramping sharpness up a little but with little positive effect. Quite the opposite ...

... Noise; There seemed substantal noise in images on the 4k feed. By that I mean it looked faces/skin had a life of its own with crawling dot noise. - Both the Samsung LCD and Sony A1 had it but to a lesser extend so it was probably the signal feed. Still, I found it a little disconcering.

Which leads me to the biggest problem I have noticed today.

Colour banding. Both on the 4k feed and terrestrial tv colour banding was noticeable everywhere. Again, I could not dial this out with settings.

This may sound damning but I am well aware that the signal feed was everything but great. However, other tv's seemed to suffer far less from it.

Now the Q7 is certainly not perfect. HDR seems unusable as the the tv ramps the backlight up to eyesearing levels with a resulting grey screen. Its adjustable but I havent played with HDR settings yet. Much prefer SD and the panels inherent very good contrast makes movies glow with punchy highlights aplenty

I have once before listened to reviews and bought a Kuro which I heavily regretted. I am almost totally happy with the Q7 other than black levels but no LED panel will beat an OLED anyway and the Samsung comes very close.

Can any owners (Gazzip/Gel) please confirm that my findings of today are not typical of the B7/C7?

I do not want to make a mistake.

D

Deleted member 2457

Currys definitely not the best place to demo, have you got a John Lewis close?

How come you didn’t get on with the Kuro again?

On AVForums lots of users have reported banding, it’s not a problem I have came against with all my Oleds, generally Oleds are great. The Samsung might well be brighter, but having demoed it in John Lewis today, some of the colours are not good including black, looks grey. Currys I am pretty sure price match with Amazon which had the B7 Oled at £1450. The B7 does have a impressive HDR picture, really black and really bright.

D

Deleted member 2457

Amazon have now upped their price to £1500 too. Easter weekend can throw up some really good deals, so I would do what it takes so you still have a choice after the Easter Sales if you know what I mean.
regular_smile.png

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
Near black detail and colour banding issues most likely point to a problem with the source. I have the LG B6. I very rarely notice these issues with Blu-Ray discs, but I regularly spot it with Sky. It seems that some of the extra colour detail is thrown away during the compression process, presumably to cut down the bit rate.

Unless the sets have been calibrated to the same reference levels and are using the same content, I do not think you can reach too many reliable conclusions from a side-by-side comparison. I know that both sets can be calibrated to provide very accurate reproduction. OLED sets are capable of deeper blacks and the bright parts of the image do not bleed into the darker parts, which I really like. LED sets are capable of higher peak brightness, quite astonishing peak brightness in some cases. I tend to turn off most of the motion handling and advanced processing options anyway, so I do not pay too much attention to those when selecting a set.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Currys definitely not the best place to demo, have you got a John Lewis close?

How come you didn’t get on with the Kuro again?

On AVForums lots of users have reported banding, it’s not a problem I have came against with all my Oleds, generally Oleds are great. The Samsung might well be brighter, but having demoed it in John Lewis today, some of the colours are not good including black, looks grey. Currys I am pretty sure price match with Amazon which had the B7 Oled at £1450. The B7 does have a impressive HDR picture, really black and really bright.

Hi Gel

The Kuro's white's dimmed far to much during bright scenes, the panel buzzed (though it seemed to bother others more than me) and I could never get the picture right during the time I owned it. Good blacks admittedly but far to much emphasis was put on this by reviewers imho.

Yes the banding was pronounced on the C7. Probably partly because of programme quality but it was still more noticeable than on the A1 or the Samsung 6470 LED. Picture noise was exhaggerated too.

It could be a number of reasons including a defect panel admittedly.

Yes, the lowest blacks of the Q7 are not in OLED territory but it seems to better them in other areas imho but we all see things differently.

Still, I will have to kill my curiosity so tomorrow, time permitting I will go to JL again and look in detail at their B7.

I am making myself a name in there. May wear a false beard ...

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
First things first, as usual, blacks were perfect, obviously. - But deep black level detail seemed disappointing. There were large chunks of it with no detail. No matter what I did (upping or lowering Gamma included), I could not get the detail. - The Samsung LCD, whilst not great, had better low level dark detail with the same signal feed.

I went to JL in Swindon on Monday to compare 49/50 inch TVs from Sony, Samsung and Panasonic, although I also looked at the 55 inch LG B7 OLED. The OLED looked magnificent when fed with a 4k source, but I also noted the limited shadow detail compared to some of the others.

However, the biggest difference between the 4 brands was the upscaling performance, as all of the TVs on demo could be viewed with SD and HD content. The LG was by far the worst at upscaling, especially SD material. The Panasonic, Samsungs and Sony XE80 were all pretty similar and better than the LG. The best at upscaling was the Sony XE90 which has the X1 processor, although I didn't think that any of them handled SD as well as my 8 year old Sony HD LCD. Black level on the XE90 was also very good, since it uses a VA panel with full array dimming. I will be interested to see the new Sony XF90 when it is available, as that gets the X1 Extreme processor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts