KEF LS50W review

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
'time correcting' or phase at the crossover point is an issue in some of the lauded loudspeakers.. atc is a prime example.. so I'm looking forward what Dave got to say.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
inbox4 said:
Hi David,

Any idea when your review is going to be ready and where are you going to post it?

Also, are you able to explain the crossover in these speakers? Someone told me they should be more accurately described as 'powered' rather than 'active' as they have a passive crossover rather than an active one. KEF describe them as having an 'advanced time correcting DSP crossover' Are you able to explain what this means and the difference between the two (or three?) types?

The LS50 wireless speakers are proper active speakers rather than just powered speakers (which still have regular a passive crossover in them).

The LS50 have a separate amplifier for each tweeter and mid/bass driver with the frequencies being split by an active crossover which operates before the amplifiers not after them.

LS50-Wireless-internals-580x308.png

inbox4 said:
Hi David,

Any idea when your review is going to be ready and where are you going to post it?

Also, are you able to explain the crossover in these speakers? Someone told me they should be more accurately described as 'powered' rather than 'active' as they have a passive crossover rather than an active one. KEF describe them as having an 'advanced time correcting DSP crossover' Are you able to explain what this means and the difference between the two (or three?) types?
I'll be interested too, but I think you'll find they are about as active as active can be. Each driver has its own amp, so the signal is split at preamp level, not at poweramp level. In fact, it might even be split in the digital domain in this case, then amplified.

KEF modestly tab their website 'powered' but don't let that influence you!

steve_1979 said:
inbox4 said:
Hi David,

The LS50 wireless speakers are proper active speakers rather than just powered speakers (which still have regular a passive crossover in them).

The LS50 have a separate amplifier for each tweeter and mid/bass driver with the frequencies being split by an active crossover which operates before the amplifiers not after them.
Steve beat me to it!

Oldphrt said:
Frank Harvey said:
But if you're listening to music, you're not likely to be wondering off...and if you do wonder off, you're not really listening to it.

I wander if that's really true?
Well you'll always be able to find contradictory situations, but I just meant that if you're sitting down for a serious listening session, you're unlikely to go and leave the room for minutes on end - if you're only nipping to the fridge to grab a drink, the Bluetooth device can stay in the same room as the speakers.

Now that they have TIDAL, maybe that might mean less people will be in that position.

nopiano said:
I'll be interested too, but I think you'll find they are about as active as active can be. Each driver has its own amp, so the signal is split at preamp level, not at poweramp level. In fact, it might even be split in the digital domain in this case, then amplified.

KEF modestly tab their website 'powered' but don't let that influence you!
I'm guessing KEF feel that "powered" is more understandable to the masses rather than "active".

With the flexibility of the app with regards to bass management, my guess would also be that the signal is split in the digital domain. I'd need to speak to KEF to confirm that though.

inbox4 said:
Hi David,

Probably another week at the moment. I was hoping to release it this week, but I've been a little busy with one thing or another, so will aim to finish it next week - I've got others I want to get done too, so I don't want to leave it too long!

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi David,

If you get the chance to comment on my query re the different types of crossover and the differences they make, that would be great. (post 75)

Thanks to those who confirmed the LS50w has an active crossover. By the comments, I'm guessing what makes it active is whether it sits pre or post power amp? Which is the best type of crossover?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
inbox4 said:
I'm guessing what makes it active is whether it sits pre or post power amp?

That is correct.

inbox4 said:
Which is the best type of crossover?

Active crossovers have lower distortion so from a technical point of view they are the best.

Passives however do have some benefits. Generally passives are a bit more convenient to use and setup and some people like to swap around different amplifiers which you can't do with most actives.

inbox4 said:
Hi David,

As with all things electronic, it doesn't really matter which is 'generally' better, it's more down to whether they've been well designed in the first place. A technically better, badly designed approach won't be as good as a well designed inferior one. If you know what I mean :)

Replicant666 said:
Thanks David, excellent review
I was going to go in depth, but I didn't want it to be too long. There will be a follow up review at some point, which is more based around living with them for a long period of time. There's other reviews to come in the meantime, including an interesting one I'm quite looking forward to...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
Really good review David. A well written and enjoyable read. The whole web page and photos look professional too.

He is a professional...so what do you expect. *biggrin*

A professional what though? ;)

One thing I wondered about the LS50W. I noticed that they have RCA sockets on them. Does this mean that they can also be used like regular active speakers with an external pre-amp?

Thanks all for the comments :)

steve_1979 said:
Answers on a postcard...

One thing I wondered about the LS50W. I noticed that they have RCA sockets on them. Does this mean that they can also be used like regular active speakers with an external pre-amp?
Yes, you can use a pre-amplifier plugged into the analogue inputs, although the signal will be converted to digital. If it is a pre-amplifier with an optical digital output, you can plug it in that way too and use the LS50W's DACs. Later today I should have the Convert Technologies Plato turning up, of which there is a pre-amplifier version, so I'm quite interested to marry the two up and see how well they work together.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davidf said:
Thanks all for the comments :)

steve_1979 said:
Answers on a postcard...

Yes, you can use a pre-amplifier plugged into the analogue inputs, although the signal will be converted to digital. If it is a pre-amplifier with an optical digital output, you can plug it in that way too and use the LS50W's DACs. Later today I should have the Convert Technologies Plato turning up, of which there is a pre-amplifier version, so I'm quite interested to marry the two up and see how well they work together.

Haha
I like the look of those plato series.
The plato light
Can you email me a price list as looks very good, please
I need to demo this

I read it last night, but dozed off in the heat before saying so!

They were memorable at Bristol 2017, and anything that sounds good at a show must be good in my books. I'm sure their adjustability must have helped in that location.

D

Deleted member 108165

Excellent review David *good*

Did anything materialize with regard to the PMC twotwo.5's *smile*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Just looked up the Plato.

Out of interest do you think the industry is heading small all in solutions like these Kef Wireless or the Plato for them to be all singing all dancing solutions for the real enthusiast.

Or do you think they are intended as a hook to try and get consumers into hifi and the brand obviously to then move to the bigger solutions??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts