KEF LS50W review

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This should have gone on the Active Speaker Club thread but the spam filter (*&^*****) didn't like it!

Not sure if this link has been flagged up already so apologies if it has. It's from the Steve Huff website and the Youtube clip is interesting; mostly due to comparisons with the diminutive KEFs and other (sometimes far more expensive) speakers . The references to Amazon Prime are a little annoying (especially after several mentions) and it's impossible to really judge quality from Youtube (but he makes this clear from the start). He certainly rates these little speakers and in a room 12x13 ft (same as mine) reckons that they are virtually unbeatable! Food for thought....

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/kef-ls50-wireless-speaker-review-my-speaker-of-the-year-so-far/

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I had a read of this review the other day when it was posted up on AVF. I think he goes a little overboard describing his inability to properly drive passive LS50s, but on the whole, a good review, and I'd echo similar findings, particularly in regards to the comparison against the Devialet Phantoms. Personally, I'd expect an active speaker to reproduce something like Boards Of Canada really well, but this is where, I feel, the Devialets fell short. It just didn't sound right. Although the bass had good presence, it was overblown and really not doing the rest of the frequency range any good. You'd also expect them to more than compete with the KEF UniQ array as it is also a point source type design, but again, something just wasn't right. It didn't sound "complete", if you know what I mean.

I spent most of this afternoon listening to the LS50Ws, and I'm astonished at just how good they are. I not only found myself trying to find my favourite stuff, but also finding stuff I hadn't heard for quite a while. Angus & Julia Stone's Down The Way and Elysian Fields' Bleed Your Cedar just have to be heard to be believed. And for those who do like bass, just listen to something like Glass Animals' Zaba to feed that particular demon. These can really punch when they're asked to, despite their very small mid/bass driver. I can't remember the last time I heard something so transparent. I tell a lie, it was Blades.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I suppose one of the major things the LS50Ws have going for them is the UniQ array, which will be immediately evident to those who are already used to the technology. Most people probably ignore this and just see it as a normal two way speaker, but there's major benefits to this approach - particularly for near field listening.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
ErwinC said:
I have the LS50W for 3 months now and i have to say these are imo unbeatable at the price and way above *biggrin*

Also very interesting to read: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/3x1_2/1.html

Hi

What other comparable products have you compared them with?

I previously owned a Naim UnitiLite in combination with a pair of PMC Twenty.22. I find the LS50W better than this setup.

I also compared the LS50W with a Musical Fidelity Encore 225 in combination with the passive LS50. The LS50W was better imo. The price of the MF + LS50 is about 3 times the price of the LS50W.

For similar products, i compared it with the Dynaudio Focus 200 XD. The Dynaudio costs more than 2 times the price of the LS50W and also needs a Dynaudio Connect to function. Both are very good imo but i prefer the LS50W.

I owned many other passive speakers (B&W CM5, B&W CM5 S2, Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature, PMC Twenty 21, PMC Twenty 22, Dynaudio Focus 110, ATC SM11, ATC SCM12, KEF LS50, ...) the last years and none of them came close to the active LS50.

drummerman said:
Schmegel?

Hi drummerman

Be nice please
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ErwinC said:
Andrewjvt said:
ErwinC said:
I have the LS50W for 3 months now and i have to say these are imo unbeatable at the price and way above *biggrin*

Also very interesting to read: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/3x1_2/1.html

Hi

I previously owned a  Naim UnitiLite in combination with a pair of PMC Twenty.22. I find the LS50W better than this setup.

I also compared the LS50W with a Musical Fidelity Encore 225 in combination with the passive LS50. The LS50W was better imo. The price of the MF + LS50 is about 3 times the price of the LS50W.

For similar products, i compared it with the Dynaudio Focus 200 XD. The Dynaudio costs more than 2 times  the price of the LS50W and also needs a Dynaudio Connect to function. Both are very good imo but i prefer the LS50W.

I owned many other passive speakers (B&W CM5, B&W CM5 S2, Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature, PMC Twenty 21, PMC Twenty 22, Dynaudio Focus 110, ATC SM11, ATC SCM12, KEF LS50, ...) the last years and none of them came close to the active LS50.

Thanks for that
Your explanation echos my experience

I found much the same as you
Very good value for money

Anyone who heard the LS50 wireless demo at the Bristol show would have discovered how great they are. And way better than I expected for one, even as a fan of the passive version.

They don't really need a comparison; they just sound brilliant!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Andrewjvt said:
ErwinC said:
I have the LS50W for 3 months now and i have to say these are imo unbeatable at the price and way above *biggrin*

Also very interesting to read: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/3x1_2/1.html

Hi

Slightly off-topic but why did you sell the Schmegel?

For better value for money/performance for what i want sound wise plus other reasons.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
I had a read of this review the other day when it was posted up on AVF. I think he goes a little overboard describing his inability to properly drive passive LS50s, but on the whole, a good review, and I'd echo similar findings, particularly in regards to the comparison against the Devialet Phantoms. Personally, I'd expect an active speaker to reproduce something like Boards Of Canada really well, but this is where, I feel, the Devialets fell short. It just didn't sound right. Although the bass had good presence, it was overblown and really not doing the rest of the frequency range any good. You'd also expect them to more than compete with the KEF UniQ array as it is also a point source type design, but again, something just wasn't right. It didn't sound "complete", if you know what I mean.

I spent most of this afternoon listening to the LS50Ws, and I'm astonished at just how good they are. I not only found myself trying to find my favourite stuff, but also finding stuff I hadn't heard for quite a while. Angus & Julia Stone's Down The Way and Elysian Fields' Bleed Your Cedar just have to be heard to be believed. And for those who do like bass, just listen to something like Glass Animals' Zaba to feed that particular demon. These can really punch when they're asked to, despite their very small mid/bass driver. I can't remember the last time I heard something so transparent. I tell a lie, it was Blades.

David, what were you using as a source? My options for going active have so far been based on keeping the Linn Akurate DSM as it's a fantastic streamer. The KEFs would present a problem, however, as they appear to take all incoming sources and then convert to digital using their own in-built DAC. This would render most of the Linn Akurate kit redundant and it would make more sense to sell and replace with something much cheaper. Other options that I'm presently considering mostly comprise active speakers without an in-built DAC (e.g AE1a, ATC SCM19a). The AVI DM10s have one but I would probably still use the Linn as it can be by-passed. Having said all this, I've now added the LS50w to my list of speakers to hear. Hoping to audition at least one option over the Easter holiday.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
davidf said:

David, what were you using as a source? My options for going active have so far been based on keeping the Linn Akurate DSM as it's a fantastic streamer. The KEFs would present a problem, however, as they appear to take all incoming sources and then convert to digital using their own in-built DAC. This would render most of the Linn Akurate kit redundant and it would make more sense to sell and replace with something much cheaper. Other options that I'm presently considering mostly comprise active speakers without an in-built DAC (e.g AE1a, ATC SCM19a). The AVI DM10s have one but I would probably still use the Linn as it can be by-passed. Having said all this, I've now added the LS50w to my list of speakers to hear. Hoping to audition at least one option over the Easter holiday. 

I have not checked and maybe david can verify but id hope you can bypass all that and just use the ls50w as a straight forward monitor and feed it the signal straight from the linn streamer to the xlr or rca jacks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Andrew, any signal going into them, if it isn't digital already, it gets converted to, which is needed due to the signal being sent to the other speaker digitally.

Pedro2 said:
Initially I was using KEF's own app streaming directly from the Innuos ZENith, but I wanted the option of listening to stuff off TIDAL and Spotify too, so I plugged in the Bluesound Node via optical. I also used this as an interface for the ZENith rather than switching cables etc.

As mentioned above, anything you plug into the analogue RCA inputs will get converted to digital.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davidf said:
Sorry Andrew, any signal going into them, if it isn't digital already, it gets converted to, which is needed due to the signal being sent to the other speaker digitally.

Pedro2 said:
Initially I was using KEF's own app streaming directly from the Innuos ZENith, but I wanted the option of listening to stuff off TIDAL and Spotify too, so I plugged in the Bluesound Node via optical. I also used this as an interface for the ZENith rather than switching cables etc. 

As mentioned above, anything you plug into the analogue RCA inputs will get converted to digital. 

When the ae comes in id like to also have a look/listen of the ls50w.

The only time ive heard passive ls50 was with you when you still worked at fh

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts