KEF LS50 - Which Amp ..?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone.. I didnt want to start a new thread on the same topic, so I thought I would add it on to this one for ease.

My question is.. I have around 700 pounds max to spend on an amp to pair with my new LS50's - I was considering the Roksan Kandy K2... does this sound like a good idea? I heard the K2 is fairly fuss free with partnering equipment.. thoughts? Anything better out there? Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Fujee said:
Hi everyone.. I didnt want to start a new thread on the same topic, so I thought I would add it on to this one for ease.

My question is.. I have around 700 pounds max to spend on an amp to pair with my new LS50's - I was considering the Roksan Kandy K2... does this sound like a good idea? I heard the K2 is fairly fuss free with partnering equipment.. thoughts? Anything better out there? Thanks

What you "heard" and what you "hear" when you demo, can be different. The K2 is a perfectly good (powerful) suggestion, but make sure you try the Creek 50A and the Arcam A19 (with the LS50s), to be sure you have chosen wisely.

rainsoothe

CnoEvil said:
Fujee said:

What you "heard" and what you "hear" when you demo, can be different. The K2 is a perfectly good (powerful) suggestion, but make sure you try the Creek 50A and the Arcam A19 (with the LS50s), to be sure you have chosen wisely.

what he said.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Fujee said:

+1

I heard K2 and Creek together and preferred the Creek 50A. The K2 has more bass which maybe good for some, its got more power which maybe good for some speakers/rooms but i prefrred the sound of the Creek.

shkumar4963

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Jota180 said:
Then try those rock things (refreshingly expensive) that you place around your room that do something to the physics of your room and makes the sound better.

Also consider custom made, 3 degree angled pieces of outrageously expensive bits of metal to tilt your speakers slightly so gravity helps the music flow effortlessly downhill towwards your listening position. Einstein would approve.

These will improve your listening experience. Honest.

Edit. Also avoid any movement in your listening room as this will stir up the air which affects the sounds waves travelling through them.

Jota... love your sense of humor...

Raidillon

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
After 25 years of good services of my kef référence 102/3, both woofers units gave up !

they were like rotten, i suppose it was a slow process going on.

And the torturing reflexion began again : read all the reviews, what happened during 25 years on the speaker's market ( tuners don't longer exist !!!! What is a dac ? )

So, refreshment was needed.

K.i.s. Go to your local dealer ( noir et blanc in Brussels )

My budget was 1000€

So i've heard the BW 685 but desappointing, dull, boxy, after all it's my first contact with " modern " speakers after 25y. it must be my ears or even my 50+ brains, who knows.

Then we switched to the Ls50 and , like when you see and hear a Maserati Granturismo, you are flabergasted ! God they sound great for such a size, so real and effortless.

An hour later, they were matched with my old Marantz CD and my Teac AH 500 amp.

It's a month now and i have dumped my Spotify connection and brought back all these cd's from the barn because what a sound !

Conclusion, even with simple gears, but positionned as standmount, they can bring back moisture in your eyes, and then you listen to the music, not the setup !

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Raidillon said:
Then we switched to the Ls50 and , like when you see and hear a Maserati Granturismo, you are flabergasted ! God they sound great for such a size, so real and effortless.

Yes they do....and welcome to the forum.

Raidillon

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Well, just for the try, i have swaped recently borrowed Music. Fidel. monoblocs with an old Teac AH 500 i and i must confess that, at normal audition levels, there is no noticable difference !!!

Same exercise with a Marantz pm 6005 and, again, no hearable différence !!!

The only thing i have noticed is the difference in CD quality recordings !

So, which amp with the ls50 ?

Any amp should work well.

Would a Krell work 10 times better ( 10*times the price) i doubt but i Will try.

One thing is sure : the ls 50 are a hell of good speakers.

Remark : They needed Time to brake loose, about 1,5 / 2 months, and it happened quite suddenly, within an hour, mainly bass authority improvment)

Bring Fr speaking sorry for my poor En.

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The best I've heard them at home was with an Ayre AX-7E, very impressive.

Other amps they have been paired with Hegel H80, Harman Kardon HK990, Densen DM20 & DM30, no slouches either, but the Ayre was clearly the better amp.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
mpapo said:
The best I've heard them at home was with an Ayre AX-7E, very impressive.

Other amps they have been paired with Hegel H80, Harman Kardon HK990, Densen DM20 & DM30, no slouches either, but the Ayre was clearly the better amp.
Currently using the Leema Tucana ii with the kef ls50's, what they say about the better amplification is 100% true, i previously had the elements amp and thought that was good.... this is in another stratosphere!

Raidillon

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Between Arcam, Roksan, Naim, Rega (not brio R) Peachtree, all shoud do well for normal listening as well as any ss Japanese amp. The biggest difference will be your living room, and there is little to do about that except trying at home before buying. Just keep in mind that they are not suitable for loud level metal rock, all the rest is pure enjoyment and that with just an old TEAC AH 500i ( chech the inside construction, it is maybe part of the clue ? )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts