Croft Phono Integrated vs Marantz PM8005 (or 7005)

rainsoothe

Hi all. Several factors, including financial ones, are compelling me to replace my beloved Naim Supernait 2 and Martin Logan Motion 40 floorstanders.

First of all, I was looking into adding a turntable to my setup, which is most likely going to be a Pioneer PLX 1000 (i want a direct drive, and pricing seems good), probably with MM cartridge - Goldring 1042 or Ortofon 2M Blue.

Secondly, I find myself listening to stuff like Dream Theater less and less, and more to early Elton John, Genesis, Norah Jones, Pink Floyd - that kind of stuff. Well, I still give Porcupine Tree or some other rock/hip-hop stuff a whirl. But the point is I don't need them high dinamic levels anymore, and the Motion 40 floorstanders are a bit too heavy sounding for my 16 sq meter apartment living room, and I can't afford acoustic treatment (i need at least 500 pounds for a propper bass trap).

Thirdly, I'm considering going for a slightly more warm, tube-y or liquid sound (not that the SN2 is harsh or anything, it's not), but which still has most of the Naim's rhythmic drive. Just looking for more holographic as opposed to get-up sound. Hence the Marantz - which I always liked. Also, reading about on the internet, I see a lot of good stuff about the Croft Phono Integrated.

So the questions are:

1. Has anyone heard both the Croft Phono Integrated and Marantz PM7005 or PM8005? How do they sound? And how do they compare? Also is the PM8005 worth the extra dough over the PM7005 (which also has a DAC)?

2. I'm currently running the Naim DAC V1, which i was planning on keeping and pairing with the Croft, using the remote with the V1 for volume control options. Would Marantz PM7005 be awesome enough to give me what I seek and replace these two components?

3. I'm planning on geting XTZ 93.23 mkII standmounts for either of the amps I'm considering, 'cause they're one of the few speakers I've seen preforming a true dissappearing act. But is the Croft powerful enough for a pair of KEF LS50? Would that be a good pairing - considering i'm not looking for party-level volumes - and is it worth trying to gather that kind of money?

4. I'm open for any other suggestions, but requirements are these: a) well suited for most kinds of music; b)analogue-ish, relaxed sound; c) controlled low end; d) smooth BUT DETAILED; e) rich midrange; f) good phono stage.

Ideal budget is under 1000 pounds for amp, and under 500 pounds for speakers (unless springing for stuff like LS50 is really really worth the effort).

Thank you

rainsoothe

by the way, the lengthy enquiry is because I don't have the option of auditioning the Croft unless I buy it and ready to send it back within the 7day trial period, which I would rather avoid. Marantz I know, but I'm curious how it compares to Croft and also if the 8005 is that noticeably better then 7005, since I don't thinkthe dealer here stocks both.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts