KEF LS50, any competitors?

Pjotter

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Would my PM6005 be to light to drive the KEF LS50's? If so are there competitors with a lower pricetag which would match my amp in the same way or even better? Thanks for your suggestions.

T

the record spot

What is your room like? Large, small or somewhere in the middle? What's your musical taste?

T

the record spot

I'm a big fan of seeing what else is out there. Sure, you can buy the LS50 but I personally wouldn't. I think it'd run out of of steam. Maybe a beefier amp. Also depends on what kind of doing you want or like.

Edit: and to answer your question, I'd be auditioning a pair of Cambridge Audio's Aero 2 speakers. £350 and reviews are positive. Interesting design technology too. Good sized box so ought to do well in a room your size.

matthewpiano

I really don't understand this tendency people have towards pairing £800 speakers with £350 amps. I know people say the speakers make the biggest difference but I have to point out here that a speaker can only perform as well as the amp that drives AND controls it. From this point of view I'd be considering a better amp or sticking with speakers more appropriate for the PM6005 such as Q Acoustics Concept 20s or Dali Zensor 1s or Dali Zensor 3s.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I really don't understand this tendency people have towards pairing £800 speakers with £350 amps. I know people say the speakers make the biggest difference but I have to point out here that a speaker can only perform as well as the amp that drives AND controls it. From this point of view I'd be considering a better amp or sticking with speakers more appropriate for the PM6005 such as Q Acoustics Concept 20s or Dali Zensor 1s or Dali Zensor 3s.

This!

Just with stronger language.

High performance mini-monitors (not just the Kefs) invariably respond to better amplification, budget amplifiers, however big the hype, are just not going to get it done.

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
freedom1971 said:
Mr Piano is 100% correct. No sense at all in running expensive speakers off a budget amp, unless you have future amp upgrades planned.

Or...maybe you own the 50's and used them with expensive equipment, then experimented with something cheaper and discovered it performs just as well! Sorry, but I say try whatever combo you want to and enjoy it--possibly even save a few bucks for buying music.

manicm

the record spot said:
Edit: and to answer your question, I'd be auditioning a pair of Cambridge Audio's Aero 2 speakers. £350 and reviews are positive. Interesting design technology too. Good sized box so ought to do well in a room your size.

Yup, these are being criminally overlooked.

manicm

npoguy said:
Or...maybe you own the 50's and used them with expensive equipment, then experimented with something cheaper and discovered it performs just as well! Sorry, but I say try whatever combo you want to and enjoy it--possibly even save a few bucks for buying music.

In all scenarios common sense is requisite too.

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
matthewpiano said:

This!

Just with stronger language.

High performance mini-monitors (not just the Kefs) invariably respond to better amplification, budget amplifiers, however big the hype, are just not going to get it done.

Really don't mean this to sound argumentative, but I've had my 50's hooked up to the D3020 for months and truly enjoy the combination. In the last 24 hours I've used it for movies, Radio Paradise, music from my NAS, bluetooth, and from my laptop and it sounds terrific. Might not be for everyone, but if you're looking for sound quality and connectivy, I would highly recommend that people add it to the list for auditioning.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
npoguy said:
freedom1971 said:
Mr Piano is 100% correct. No sense at all in running expensive speakers off a budget amp, unless you have future amp upgrades planned.

I would be interested to hear your story.

I have some fairly strong views on this matter but I am always interested to have them tested by others with different experiences. There is a lot about this hobby that does not make sense, other experiences are genuinely welcome.

Sorry npo, posts crossed, genuinely interested to here what else you tried....... :cheers:

freedom1971

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't own the LS50's, although I would certainly love to try a pair at some point, I'm sure they are great in the right set up. All I am saying is that, like the Piano Man, I don't see the sense in throwing money at ever more expensive speaks when less expensive ones would possibly do as well, if not better with a whatever amp. By all means if you prefer them, then go for it, but don't just assume that because they are more expensive they must be better. This just isn't the case, in my experience anyway. Don't mean to offend anyone...!

T

the record spot

manicm said:
the record spot said:

Yup, these are being criminally overlooked.

Ah well, after the glowing review in the current HiFi News, that might change...

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Originally had them with Parasound A23/P3, then decided to move from that and tried it with several other amps including Van Alstine, Anthem and Bel Canto--obviously I'm in the US :grin:. I couldn't make up my mind so I purchased the NAD through Amazon after reading a Sterophile review. Really just thought it would be a temporary solution while I kept on looking, but it's been several months now and haven't really thought to much about changing!

I'm sure I'll move on again at some point, but it's a great setup for someone who is cost conscious. But, as I said, it's definitely not for everyone, so YMMV!

Edit--this is in response to DDC! Should have quoted...

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
freedom1971 said:
I don't own the LS50's, although I would certainly love to try a pair at some point, I'm sure they are great in the right set up. All I am saying is that, like the Piano Man, I don't see the sense in throwing money at ever more expensive speaks when less expensive ones would possibly do as well, if not better with a whatever amp. By all means if you prefer them, then go for it, but don't just assume that because they are more expensive they must be better. This just isn't the case, in my experience anyway. Don't mean to offend anyone...!

No offense taken! And, I originally set out to spend a lot more money and may do it again at some point!

freedom1971

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I think the AE 301's are criminally overlooked too, well worth an audition. Maybe even the cheaper 101's as well, spec looks identical, just no gloss black or white finish.

T

the record spot

Yes agreed. But you know how it is... Dali this, KEF that. People will be missing out for sure.

T

the record spot

Have to say I don't agree; I think people would still make the wrong choice. A lot of it comes down to the buyer IMO. If people spent as much time researching their new audio gear as they put into house or car buying, less mistakes would be made. Or if they knew what kind of sound they liked, or what functionality they need, or just the basic means to take magazine review so far, but not further to the point they rely wholesale on the magazine to make the choice for them by virture of its recommendations.

freedom1971

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
Have to say I don't agree; I think people would still make the wrong choice. A lot of it comes down to the buyer IMO. If people spent as much time researching their new audio gear as they put into house or car buying, less mistakes would be made. Or if they knew what kind of sound they liked, or what functionality they need, or just the basic means to take magazine review so far, but not further to the point they rely wholesale on the magazine to make the choice for them by virture of its recommendations.

My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I said that! Of course people would still make the wrong choice, as I have done myself before. :doh:

A home demo is a must with speakers though, if possible, no matter how good something may be in the shop, they could be no good at all in your own room.

Pjotter

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Pjotter said:
Would my PM6005 be to light to drive the KEF LS50's? If so are there competitors with a lower pricetag which would match my amp in the same way or even better? Thanks for your suggestions.

Thank you all for your comments. Getting back to my question: Why doesn't the speaker manufacturer help us out? In this case answering the question: What would be the minimum requirements/specs of an amp in order to enjoy your investment in LS50's to a reasonable/minimal level. I dropped the question at KEF whether my PM6005 amp is suitable to drive the LS50, fair question I reckon, no answer though.

Why isn't there more TRANSPARENCY in this world where an amp without a speaker or a speaker without an amp couldn't exist?

matthewpiano

freedom1971 said:
I think the AE 301's are criminally overlooked too, well worth an audition. Maybe even the cheaper 101's as well, spec looks identical, just no gloss black or white finish.

The 301s do a lot of things well. They are very detailed and rhythmic. For me they were a bit on the thin side tonally, but I would imagine some people could love them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts