Just out of interest

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I suspect I'm not a typical user of this forum as I'm not really interested in hifi itself but just as a way of listening to music. So:

How often do you go to shops, exhibitions, etc. to listen to different kit?

Weekly?

Monthly?

Annually?

Other? (Please say how often)

From some people's posts I get the impression they do scarcely little else!
regular_smile.gif

I'm in the "Other" category. I only go when I feel it's time for a change so probably once every 3 years or so.

Chris

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:

Weekly?

Monthly?

Annually?

Other? (Please say how often)

Exhibitions/shows? Not since about 1985 (I think) and never again!

Hi-fi shops? One local shop recently when getting the new amp and new speaker stands. (Although the last visit was just to pay for and collect the stands.) Otherwise every few years or so.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I suspect I'm not a typical user of this forum as I'm not really interested in hifi itself but just as a way of listening to music. So:

Weekly?

Monthly?

Annually?

with me its when i can afford too and then save up the money and then up grade when i have the money which is not very often and with having kids it takes a lot longer lol but i would say every 3 years with me or more kids come first

D

Deleted member 2457

I go to John Lewis electrical department about twice a week to view the same TVs, headphones and other electrical bits. Local home cinema shop has closed, I suppose I went there every 3 months or so. Richer Sounds I don't bother with due to their bad location near Milton Keynes Central Train station, otherwise I would go there quite a bit. Costco once a month.

D

Deleted member 2457

Don't do exhibitions because I don't drive otherwise if they were local I would go quite a bit.

jjbomber

Covenanter said:
How often do you go to shops

I've been in my local quite a lot lately, as we were looking to put a 'tour' together. Basically my mate, Dan Patlansky, is on tour in November supported Joe Satriani, so we were looking to do a hi-fi chain tour alongside. Basically Dan would fill stores with his fans and go along to demonstrate his latest album on hi-fi systems, to show them off. I thought it was a great idea to bring new customers in. Anyway, nothing came of it in the end.

Back to the question. On the visits I was amazed by how often I would see the same 'customers', who were just passing and coming in for a chat. Apparently they buy something once a year but call in to the shop once a week, sometimes more. The store staff are far more polite than I would ever be to these 'tyre kickers'.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would go to a musical evening or demo day about once a year. I would also visit a dealer if they have an interesting new product, which happens around twice a year.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
If I'm thinking of making a big purchase, I'll go into overdrive and visit loads of dealers to check out the relevant products.

Otherwise not at all.

Exhibitions are silly.

matthewpiano

Far less than I did, particularly since we moved to the East Midlands this time last year. The National Audio Show a couple of weeks ago was the first major contact I've had with equipment outside my own home since then and, though I enjoyed seeing and hearing a wide range of kit, there was little that would actually persuade me to make any changes to my system.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Exhibitions are good days out - you get to hear a lot of stuff on one or 2 days. Bristol is ok but Munich would be the one to go to | think to hear some proper exotic stuff you never will again.

I dont see whats silly about that as a day out, Munich would be a fun weekend away

At Bristol this year I had a life changing experience, how often does that happen - it was my first experience of a Pieminister Pie.

I have since ordered and eaten a lot of these and still love them - they are not cheap but nothing that good is.

Well worth their price tag!!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I use to go to Hifi shows in the past, but soon realized most of the systems were not setup properly. Also found out only a handful of Hifi shops actually know what they doing. Only really go to Hifi shops when am buying new hifi product. I must say it was fun seeing a lot of new products in a hifi exhibition, but those days are behind me.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Went to last years Bristol show as i was in the market for new speakers. Haven't been to one before and can't see me rushing back to one in the future.

Hi-fi shops only when needing a purchase, so just a couple of times in the past 2 years - both for speakers purchases.

Never felt the need to visit just to look around or maybe listen if i've no intention of buying.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Exhibitions are good days out - you get to hear a lot of stuff on one or 2 days. Bristol is ok but Munich would be the one to go to | think to hear some proper exotic stuff you never will again.

I dont see whats silly about that as a day out, Munich would be a fun weekend away

Munich is a lovely city: I lived there for a year. I'd have a long list of things to see or do there before the hi-fi show.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
When we (Bournemouth/Poole) still had our Movement Audio Branches I visited quite a lot. The Manager of one is a friend and I could often go in there just trying stuff out (or take it home) if one of the dem rooms was free.

Since they closed down, I ever so often pop into Richer Sounds as it right next where I do my regular food shopping. Perhaps every four months or so (RicherSounds that is, not food shopping).

There was also a Sevenoaks in Poole, that has gone too. - I think it tells a lot about the industry ...

However, we have a JA (JordanAcoustics) HighEnd Branch which I haven't visited yet for some reason. Must do that.

I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy the odd Hifi-Show but they are either to far away or work commitments prevent me from going.

Would love to go to one soon though ... note to myself.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd occasionally check out kit when I visited my closest electronics/appliance store. I think it was a symptom of my slight dissatisfaction with my previous kit. This year I've only visited to audition headphones and since then I havent even dropped by the hifi section even when I'm in the store for other reasons.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
If I'm thinking of making a big purchase, I'll go into overdrive and visit loads of dealers to check out the relevant products.

Otherwise not at all.

Ditto! In the past 2 years, I've visited at least 20 different dealers (and some people selling second hand at home). It was very interesting, and often entertaining. I've seen and heard a wide range of kit, and read a lot in the meantime. Since I made up my mind for my main system (which will be some kind of DIY), I haven't been in a hifi shop again. Probably won't happen any time soon either.

SteveR750

Vladimir said:
wating in front of hi-fi and music shops because I came half an hour before opening time in the morning due to being overexcited about new stuff.

And this is me today experiencing music & hi-fi by writing on a forum due to being overexcited about cable debates.?
Might I politely suggest a little less time discussing toroidal transformers, and more on browsing male grooming products?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Vladimir said:
wating in front of hi-fi and music shops because I came half an hour before opening time in the morning due to being overexcited about new stuff.

And this is me today experiencing music & hi-fi by writing on a forum due to being overexcited about cable debates.
Might I politely suggest a little less time discussing toroidal transformers, and more on browsing male grooming products?

And breath mints.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
waiting in front of hi-fi and music shops because I came half an hour before opening time in the morning due to being overexcited about new stuff.

sleep-in-airport.jpg

And this is me today experiencing music & hi-fi by writing on a forum due to being overexcited about cable debates.

dog-using-computer.jpg

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I started this thread because I was struck by the number of people who post here and who seem to have almost encyclopaedic knowledge of what goes with what, what's best for what type of music, etc.

I only post about things I know, i.e. the kit I have or have heard or technical knowledge from my education and career. If you want something suitable, for example, for heavy metal then I won't express an opinion.

It seems from this thread that people don't actually spend much time listening to kit so where does this knowledge come from? Is it just anecdotal? Do they get it from magazines? From forums? I am bemused.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts